• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compound bow brand you prefer? Explain choice in post please

• Total voters

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Go to your local pro shop and have them check your draw length. Shoot a few bows to find what feels good to you before you buy. A good shop will work with you.

This. Don't buy based on a cool logo or because one brand advertises on all of the hunting shows; buy based on feel, and they will feel different.

Keep in mind while shopping, that the bow is a fraction of the cost of getting started. I got into bow for the first time last year. When I went into the shop and shot a bunch of bows, I really like the Hoyt Faktor Turbo; my first 3 arrows with that bow, at 20 yards, were touching (and I had never shot a compound bow, before.)

So I bought the bow. Then the arrows. Then the arrow rest (no, it doesn't come with the bow.) Then the sight. Then the arrow quiver. Then the stabilizer. Add arrowheads, targets, a release, string wax, etc... and your $900 bow is up to $1800; something to keep in mind while you shop.

IMG_20140507_070818_zpstjtmrwy5.jpg

IMG_20140507_070740_zpstqcwxuwu.jpg

IMG_20140507_070754_zpswbowzeew.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ahh nice. Didn't know the broadheads deploy based on speed. Cool to know. Any recommendations on shafts/heads for "field" use? Should I use nice shafts with crappy target heads for practice or also use crappy cheap arrows?
    Its actually on impact...you need a certain amount of recomended draw weight for hunting/ and broadhead deployment.

Id use good arrows with good tips...otherwise you will break them. And its best to use what you will use to hunt with.

What's a DISADVANTAGE of buying an older bow?
    you dont know what the other owner did with the bow...ie if he dropped it or dry fired it.

After spending enough time behind the string, you too can shoot the 80yd practice target and group em like this... :thumbsup:

58676922-50fb-4d96-8c71-fddad465997a_zpsfbe15654.jpg
    Thats excellent shooting.:thumbsup:

If you buy used get it from a reputable bow shop. First thing I would change is the string if they havent already. DONT DRY FIRE a bow.

Define old? The old old bows will kill a deer but they typically have a higher break over hold weight/how much weight is actually being held after breakover. and use aluminum arrows...You prob can find a used bow that is a couple years old that still has a lot of life left in it. Just make sure you can find or it has modules to change the draw length to YOUR draw. the really old bows that run cable instead of string you may not find modules.

I use gold tip arrows they are good for practice and hunting. Some people like thinner carbon arrows but they break easier or so I have heard. The Gold tip arrow hold up good to target blocks I have yet to break one in a block. Hitting other stuff...ie rocks, wood, trees...etc is a different story.:o

Broadheads are a matter of preference...and legality(varies by state). Here in Idaho cant use expandable broadheads for hunting. I use muzzy fixed blade. When I lived in MD I used Rage 2 blades with good success/kills. everyone has their preference.

I guess bottom line is shopping for bow is something that is personalized to you. You should shoot as many different brands as you can, find the one you like best and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom