• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compound bow brand you prefer? Explain choice in post please

• Total voters

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Limbs and strings eventually wear and need to be replaced. Can also become unsafe to shoot. That's why you always want a good bow tech to look over anything used. Last thing you want is a limb to unload next to your face with 65 pounds of pressure on it. And as for arrows I bought the bass pro brand X5 Blackout and they shoot great. $60 a dozen and that included inserts. Oh also they have blazer vanes.

Very cool, thanks.

It can hurt you. If the bow has not been inspected by a knowledgable person.

Older bows are a little slower, longer, and heavier.

In bowhunting there is a term called "jumping the string". When you shoot a bow at a deer, deer react quickly and can literally jump over the arrow being flung at it.

Noted. :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It can hurt you. If the bow has not been inspected by a knowledgable person.

Older bows are a little slower, longer, and heavier.

In bowhunting there is a term called "jumping the string". When you shoot a bow at a deer, deer react quickly and can literally jump over the arrow being flung at it.

Actually, they duck under the arrow. In their reaction to the sound of the bow's release, the deer brace the ground in preparation to run, just as a runner gets down into the running blocks or as a standing broad jumper squats to load his legs before a jump. But I wouldn't worry about stuff like that yet.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Like said above: go to a bow shop and have them fit you. They will have several bows of differing manufactures for you to try. Buy what fits you and the one you like. IMO, buying by name can be disappointing. It may not fit you. I really liked a Hoyt, but I ended up with a PSE that fits me better. It's the bow on top of the wall rack. It's hard to see, but it's all I have. I took my daughter to the same shop thinking about Hoyt and PSE, a Bear fit her better than the others, so a Bear it was. The bottom bow.

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
      photo(3).JPG
      37.6 KB · Views: 135

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Like said above: go to a bow shop and have them fit you. They will have several bows of differing manufactures for you to try. Buy what fits you and the one you like. IMO, buying by name can be disappointing. It may not fit you. I really liked a Hoyt, but I ended up with a PSE that fits me better. It's the bow on top of the wall rack. It's hard to see, but it's all I have. I took my daughter to the same shop thinking about Hoyt and PSE, a Bear fit her better than the others, so a Bear it was. The bottom bow.

+1

There are many that will recommend this brand or that, but I feel those who choose a bow by brand name alone, are truly doing themselves a disservice. Go to MULTIPLE shops and shoot MULTIPLE bows and pick what fits YOU the best. So many of the manufacturers are making such high quality equipment at many different price points, that it's hard to go wrong. Especially for your first bow. Good luck!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Don't be concerned about the 'name'.. shoot as many different bows as you can and pick the one that feels the best to you when shooting. Be sure you have had your draw length measured and determined, that is very important to consistent shooting.

Go to some shops that will let you try some of the bows, try to find an archery club nearby and you can gain a wealth of helpful info. Most archers will gladly do all they can to teach and educate you, we are just that way, we want to see more people in the sport, young, old, man, woman, child... it's all good for the sport.

I have been shooting bows since I was a kid (over 40 years) and have had many bows over the years (I was fortunate to have some sponsors over the past dozen or so years) and all of them, when properly setup, were dot or deer killing machines, as long as I did my part every time.

Most importantly, practice, practice, practice... it will become instinctive after enough time behind the string and you don't even think about it... just draw, aim and release. Most of my deer hunting is done with a bow and up until the last year or so, when I had some shoulder issues, I would shoot competitive archery year round... there wasn't a week in a year that I didn't either hunt or compete, indoors in winter months, outdoors all summer and I shoot thousands of arrows a year.

I have shot crossbows, long before they were generally legal, you needed a doc's certification that you couldn't shoot a regular bow, but I loved bowhunting so much, that I spent two seasons in an arm cast and still shot deer during hunting season with a xbow. I got rid of it as soon as I could go back to shooting a compound and never looked back.

Just got a new rig, getting it setup now to take out for the last couple weeks of archery season, hopefully I can tag a deer or two before the end of the month with it.

If you need any help, or have questions, just ask.. we'll help you out.. ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't be concerned about the 'name'.. shoot as many different bows as you can and pick the one that feels the best to you when shooting. Be sure you have had your draw length measured and determined, that is very important to consistent shooting.

Go to some shops that will let you try some of the bows, try to find an archery club nearby and you can gain a wealth of helpful info. Most archers will gladly do all they can to teach and educate you, we are just that way, we want to see more people in the sport, young, old, man, woman, child... it's all good for the sport.

I have been shooting bows since I was a kid (over 40 years) and have had many bows over the years (I was fortunate to have some sponsors over the past dozen or so years) and all of them, when properly setup, were dot or deer killing machines, as long as I did my part every time.

Most importantly, practice, practice, practice... it will become instinctive after enough time behind the string and you don't even think about it... just draw, aim and release. Most of my deer hunting is done with a bow and up until the last year or so, when I had some shoulder issues, I would shoot competitive archery year round... there wasn't a week in a year that I didn't either hunt or compete, indoors in winter months, outdoors all summer and I shoot thousands of arrows a year.

I have shot crossbows, long before they were generally legal, you needed a doc's certification that you couldn't shoot a regular bow, but I loved bowhunting so much, that I spent two seasons in an arm cast and still shot deer during hunting season with a xbow. I got rid of it as soon as I could go back to shooting a compound and never looked back.

Just got a new rig, getting it setup now to take out for the last couple weeks of archery season, hopefully I can tag a deer or two before the end of the month with it.

If you need any help, or have questions, just ask.. we'll help you out.. ;)

^^^^What he says^^^^

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI, arrows are custom cut and fitted to you and your bow for best accuracy.
    Yea, you can get a longer and stiffer arrow and it will shoot but maybe not as accurate.
    Ask them what spine you should be using at first. Arrow choices are enough to make your head spin. I'm back into archery after almost 30 years (since a teen ager) and the choices are enough to make my head hurt. I'm a DIY guy and prefer to read alot and make my own choices. My wife and I went in and got 2 bows for my son and daughter and I got the generic "get them this one cause ...." treatment and I'm not sure it was the right choice at this point.

I got an infinite edge (Bowtech) because if I grow out of it, I have 4 kids that it can easily be reconfigured for and passed down to.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    FYI, arrows are custom cut and fitted to you and your bow for best accuracy.
    Yea, you can get a longer and stiffer arrow and it will shoot but maybe not as accurate.
    Ask them what spine you should be using at first. Arrow choices are enough to make your head spin. I'm back into archery after almost 30 years (since a teen ager) and the choices are enough to make my head hurt. I'm a DIY guy and prefer to read alot and make my own choices. My wife and I went in and got 2 bows for my son and daughter and I got the generic "get them this one cause ...." treatment and I'm not sure it was the right choice at this point.

I got an infinite edge (Bowtech) because if I grow out of it, I have 4 kids that it can easily be reconfigured for and passed down to.

I prefer Beaman ICS hunters. They fly fine and are affordable and easy to find. Just about everyone carries them.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I prefer Beaman ICS hunters. They fly fine and are affordable and easy to find. Just about everyone carries them.

I shot those for years, very good arrows, about 6 years ago I started shooting GoldTip arrows. I shoot more paper then deer these days. 3D in the Summer is great fun and will sharpen your skills.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Really there is no one bow brand I like. When I'm in the market for a new bow I go to a bow pro show and shoot a bunch of different bow to see what feels right to me.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Is Bowhunters Warehouse still around?
    Yes but it is now Bowhunters Superstore. The old owners from way back took it over again, from what I have heard after the second owners kinda screwed things up...

bowhunterssuperstore.com

Lancaster Archery Supply is one of the best archery dealers in the area (if you don't mind a drive to Amish country), they expanded a couple years ago.

Lancasterarchery.com

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    So...yeah. Been wanting to learn for a while now, trying to soak up some knowledge before dropping any big coin on something. I know NOTHING, and finding a reliable source of info is hard, hard to know that what I'm being told is the truth (imagine a gun n00b going into Dicks....what would happen?). Just when I think I've found 100% solid intel someone contradicts it. Been told Hoyt is the way to go, then no....Bowtech...no, get Matthews. How can one objectively know quality? Anyone that knows me knows I do not care about cost as much as I do about QUALITY...reliability and function; bit of an obsession really, wish my taste in women were as high.

Why archery? Because bullets run out...and as I discovered yesterday dicking off at, well Dicks, it's alot of fun. First 5 arrows at 7yds was grouped to about 4"...I think that's good for the first time picking a bow up?

Will X-Factor be hunting? Mebbe eventually...once my skill is up to par, my stomach turns at the thought of a long trail of a suffering deer because I suck.

Are you willing to buy used? Absolutely, if the quality is there. Got my eye on a used Bowtech Insanity that I might grab next week...might.

Will you post pictures that include feet? Is this a serious question? This IS still MDS, right?

Dicks "sized" me at a 29-30" draw and 50lb pull...Presumably that's correct but I'm headed to Zimmerman's next week and I'll have them do it again to check Dicks (heh).

I know I like compound, not really interested in long/recurve just yet, and I don't "get" crossbows for now. Quick release and all the "goodies" seem cool and quite functional.

Thanks for the help, hope the post wasn't too meandering. Poll coming.

Another Bow Maker that should be included in your list is PSE...

I've had Hoyt's & I've had PSE's, both were top notch, very accurate & durable...

The "spine" of the arrows must match your draw length & the draw weight of the bow & if you are shooting fingers or a trigger...

There are charts to show you which arrow number to select...

Make sure you find a local Bow shop to help you with your selections & adjustments & repairs after you buy...

Bows are like suits, they need to be fitted to you...

You need to shoot from the "valley" of the draw to get consistent accuracy & you'll need professional help making those adjustments...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Sgt is spot on with his comments. Honestly, there are no 'junk bows' out today. Most manufacturers make quality stuff, it's the only way to compete with other companies. Some companies (Bowtech for example) have a lower priced lineup to offer to those who are just starting out and don't want to drop a grand on a new bow. You will also spend several hundred dollars getting all setup with top of the line stuff, rest, sight, stabilizer, arrows, release (if you so choose and most do). The box stores sell lower end bows than a tried and true archery shop, that's just how it works in most cases and you would do well to find an archery shop, rather than Dicks, or other similar 'we sell it all' stores. The level of expertise is much better at a pro shop.

You will need help getting it all setup and can learn a lot perusing the net, but you will also find die hard fanboys that tell you 'don't get this, this is the best', etc... Don't listen. They are being narrow minded.

I shot PSE for probably 30 years when I first started out, as there were only a handful of compound bow mfrs. I just bowhunted, they served me well. I was fortunate to get into competition and get some sponsorships, so I have been able to shoot a lot of different bows since. Shot Martin bows for a bunch of years, just got a G5 Prime to shoot for a year.

The best thing I did was to start shooting competitive archery, Field archery in the summer months and indoors in the winter. It increased my proficiency beyond my wildest imagination. In field archery we shoot targets to 80 yards. Most archers rarely shoot an arrow beyond 40 yards. When you shoot those long distances and become consistent, the short range shots (inside 50yds) are pure instinct and most good field archers can keep arrow groups at less than a 'minute of angle' in archery terms, which we consider 1" for every 10 yards. It takes a lot of time and dedication to shooting to achieve that level of proficiency, but after a couple of seasons I was in that group.

The average bowhunting shots are inside of 30 yards, as typically you are in the woods and don't have the nice open terrain that we shoot in competitions, though we shoot in the woods, just like 3D, only at a paper target, not foam.

I know I mentioned this before, but anyone that wants to get into archery (for whatever reason) should find a local club and go visit on the weekend. Most clubs have practice ranges that are open to the public, the competition ranges usually require club membership, but that is not very expensive. You can find a list of MD clubs at this link. http://md-archery.org/md_clubs.htm Find one close by and go visit it. You will find archers to be very helpful, many offer free public clinics to teach archery skills in the summer months, all host various competitions from indoors to 3D or Field Archery.

Archery requires practice. You will not be a good, consistent shot if you don't put the time in to get your equipment working right, setup properly and develop a consistent form for accurate shooting. If you want to kill a deer, you need to hit it right, or you will likely wound and lose it and many have had their dreams smashed when that happens.. It sucks! But sooner or later, if you bowhunt enough, it will probably happen. Practicing and getting to the point where it becomes instinctive is much more time-consuming than learning to shoot a gun, trust me.. ;)

It all comes together on that magical day in the woods when something like this walks in and you make that perfect shot, not even thinking about anything but the small spot you picked to place your arrow. There is little in the world more exhilarating to me!

bowkill10-29-11small.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    A lot of people shoot archery and have grown to love it.. here's an example from the 2009 NFAA National Championships in PA. We had shot all day, a grueling day on the range, and afterwards they had a competition to team us joes with the true pros for a little friendly competition. We has shot well over 150 arrows that day, but it wasn't enough... these archers are serious archers... :lol2:

There are dozens of different bows, hundreds of combinations of sight, rest, stablizer and arrows and all of these shooters were competing (and well, I may add) in a National competition with the very best of the best in archery. Anybody can do it, if you dedicate the time and energy needed.. ;)

90523e35-5947-403a-8205-bc0a8805a211_zpsacb69051.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    After spending enough time behind the string, you too can shoot the 80yd practice target and group em like this... :thumbsup:

58676922-50fb-4d96-8c71-fddad465997a_zpsfbe15654.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom