• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Seems like a Band-Aid on the real problem of using obsolete suppressors. The real solution is to get an OSS (or whatever they changed their name to) and not have to worry about it at all.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I use an adjustable gas block on all my suppressed ARs and have never had a problem with gas to face.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    All I can say is no gun should need a tool to be able to work when you add or remove a suppressor.

I have adjustables on all my guns and once adjusted, I never change the settings. They run fine suppressed or un-supressed.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Seems like a Band-Aid on the real problem of using obsolete suppressors. The real solution is to get an OSS (or whatever they changed their name to) and not have to worry about it at all.

Those look interesting. I might give one a try.

lighter

https://huxwrx.com/

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have adjustables on all my guns and once adjusted, I never change the settings. They run fine suppressed or un-supressed.

I only have one on my AR-10, but it runs great even in pretty cold weather here in Maryland. And I get no gas in the face running it suppressed. Even with heavy loads.

I’d imagine I would if I left the regular gas block on there as the gas is closed up a fair bit.

Probably wouldn’t run right if it was -30F and dirty. But I don’t foresee needing to do that.

I’ve got an Aero AGB to try out on my AR-15 (one of them) to see if I like it. I suspect I will unless there is some kind of actual issue with it. If so all my ARs are getting one.

My 16” AR-15 is likely have the gas turned up a couple notches beyond minimum reliable operating. Just to cover close to worst case scenario running dirty and cold. So that might still present some gas in the face. But maybe not. They are just so over gassed for standard spec gas port sizes on each barrel length.

Heck, my 16” .223 Wylde ran flawlessly with hand loads that were cooking along at all of 2350fps for 62gr starting loads when I was working up a good load.

Now, it wasn’t flinging brass to the next county, but it had no issues cycling or locking back and didn’t even seem like it was barely working.

But it’s likely to still be turned down several notches below “wide open”, which is what a regular gas block would be.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

lighter

https://huxwrx.com/

Having not personally tried one, it is 2nd hand.

Extremely low added back pressure. However they don’t suppress nearly as well as the best suppressors on the market in terms of volume. So long as you don’t mind it running a few dB louder, an excellent option.

Since I only have so much money and I do care more about max suppression (or at least real close), I’d rather invest in 4 or 5 AGBs to the tune of maybe $200-400 including the cost of the ammo to tune them. Assuming I cared enough to not mind getting some gas in the face.

A perk too of an AGB is it reduces the action noise as well as the gas pistol bleed off noise since there is less gas for the internal piston to bleed off in cycling. Two birds with one stone.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Having not personally tried one, it is 2nd hand.

Extremely low added back pressure. However they don’t suppress nearly as well as the best suppressors on the market in terms of volume. So long as you don’t mind it running a few dB louder, an excellent option.

Since I only have so much money and I do care more about max suppression (or at least real close), I’d rather invest in 4 or 5 AGBs to the tune of maybe $200-400 including the cost of the ammo to tune them. Assuming I cared enough to not mind getting some gas in the face.

A perk too of an AGB is it reduces the action noise as well as the gas pistol bleed off noise since there is less gas for the internal piston to bleed off in cycling. Two birds with one stone.

Probably a semi-thread hijack but whatever...

So 3-4 years ago, I saw an OSS (now Huxwrx) can up close and was not impressed. The sound suppression was fair (at best) and once I was informed that these suppressors have a service life (20k rds - that apparently is not a manufacturer defect thus warranty) and also need to be cleaned (~2500 rnd or so interval) - that turned me off. I'm sure they've improved technologies and nobody is doing quite what they're doing (although I have read of other low-back pressure suppressor designs). In my book, the pro's here are low back pressure and keeping heat out of the barrel (thus extending its life).

I recall an article from one of the SPECOPS guys about the Surefire purchase where they overbought thinking they'd need to replace every so often - which they determined wasn't necessary.

All and all - 20K rounds through a suppressor is a lot, but I continue to add to the round count at every opportunity.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I am not sure but that sounds like you are just overgassing when suppressed if it will run both. I have a Micro MOA on my gun to deal with this issue when I was shooting an Omega. The gun did not run when on suppressed setting and no suppressor. So your internals are paying for it.

In our MG club, pretty much everyone bought an OSS even at a huge loss on their current suppressors. They are that much better in our opinion if you are shooting an automatic of any kind.

...So 3-4 years ago, I saw an OSS (now Huxwrx) can up close and was not impressed. The sound suppression was fair (at best) and once I was informed that these suppressors have a service life (20k rds - that apparently is not a manufacturer defect thus warranty) and also need to be cleaned (~2500 rnd or so interval) - that turned me off. I'm sure they've improved technologies.....

Yeah I don't know about any of that with the current run of suppressors. I have not cleaned mine...ever.

You hear some say they are louder. We don't notice the difference but I have not actually run a straight comparison test yet. With that said, IF you are shooting supersonic, if you are shooting a semi or FA, then a few extra dBs is not going to make any difference. If you are shooting 300BLK out of a bolt gun, then yeah, go with a standard screw on suppressor. Otherwise I think its hands down the way to go. I had a Silencerco Omega, and sold it and never looked back. I put the OSS on my M1a (LBR M25) and its great on a gun known not to suppress well.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    OSS people seem to push them hard over anything else, or, like me tried it, and thought meh, it's OK. From trying a couple helix demos, seemed to have similar backpressure and performance to a few K cans like the resonator or sandman K, but at north of $1K and the size/weight of a full size can. I do get the attraction, it's nice to just slap one on, and not have to change anything or adjust gas, but other companies are starting to catch up, and arguably it's the formula that made 30cal K cans so popular. They are definitely awesome for MGs, less backpressure, less heat buildup etc, but probably the worst on bolt actions and quiet calibers with low backpressure anyway like 300BO, they benefit from quieter cans of the same size. I would be interested in one, but unless they make a 1.375x24 mount compatible can to work with the dozen or so hosts I already have, it's a dealbreaker compared to the stuff I already have, or several decent K cans at 1/2 the price and weight. Their "cleaning' like cleaning most sealed rifle cans isn't all that neccesary, but relatively easy to do, plug the end, fill with CLR, sit overnight, flush out knock chunks of fouling out and shoot it.

As far and handles and AGBs, ALL my ARs get a Raptor, I just like them, might cut a hair bit of gas above the handle, but like most, don't do much to block the gap under the handle like the Sico handle does without adding a bead of silicone or something, but it's not much gas anyway. In most of my 5.56 and 308 ARs a adjustable block is nice to get it running good, and reducing blowback and recoil anyway, although not a huge issue with most barrels with decent port sized and shorter dwell. I only run a couple FMJ and match loads in my rifles, and handload everything, so with a decent buffer setup, I can usually find a setting that runs well, ejections from 3:00-4:00 year round with or without a can. Using heavier buffers like H3 or A5 setups generally allows a more consistent bolt speed and more consistent operation over a wider range of conditions, and port pressures compared to lighter buffers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am not sure but that sounds like you are just overgassing when suppressed if it will run both. I have a Micro MOA on my gun to deal with this issue when I was shooting an Omega. The gun did not run when on suppressed setting and no suppressor. So your internals are paying for it.

I would not characterize it as over gassing. I use SLRs exclusively and to my best recollection, most if not all my guns(rifles, carbines, SBRs) are set between 7-9. I have no full autos so maybe there is a difference do to rates of fire.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    They are definitely awesome for MGs, less backpressure, less heat buildup etc, but probably the worst on bolt actions and quiet calibers with low backpressure anyway like 300BO, they benefit from quieter cans of the same size.
    Bolt action should get quietest can possible. Prob lightest too since high rate of fire isn't likely/possible and they tend to have long barrels (putting the addl weight WAY out there.) The latter is why I'd pick a different (non-FA rated) suppressor for bolt rifles.

300BO is *NOT* low backpressure. It has exactly as much pressure*time as other rounds to cycle the exact same bolt system/weight. It takes very specific powders to get that to happen both suppressed and unsuppressed w/o changes. AA1680 is dirty too. OSS suppressors keep the action much cleaner (= less gas in face.) It works great on 300BLK.

I would be interested in one, but unless they make a 1.375x24 mount...
    I annoys the crap out of me that wasn't a left hand thread standard :mad54:

I think the OSS is pretty close to other designs sound wise. Will try to remember to bring some to compare on identical rifles. There are tests that show the OSS is better than conventional baffles and sometimes tests worse on identical guns (ignore the tests that use two different guns!) It depends a bit on the particular firearm I suspect.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Given the number of manufacturer developing “flow through” cans akin to the OSS/HUXWRX design, I think it is hard to argue that they haven’t had an impact on the market. It is also worth pointing out that the Helix QD line meters about as well as a Sandman S, and folks have no issue recommending those.

With eForm4 back online, I think wait times should be down significantly in the next few years. With that will come better sales, and more development dollars. I think the days of low back pressure cans are just beginning. I’m letting the tech mature a bit before I buy one, but they aren’t a terrible choice at the present.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    OSS people seem to push them hard over anything else, or, like me tried it, and thought meh, it's OK. .....but unless they make a 1.375x24 mount compatible can to work with the dozen or so hosts I already have, it's a dealbreaker compared to the stuff I already have, or several decent K cans at 1/2 the price and weight. ....

If you are direct threading a suppressor, we are in different games. I would not consider a threaded round suppressor for anything other than 22lr. I am not burning my hand to make sure its still on there.

I did not want to like the OSS. I had a fairly new Omega from Silencerco and I had the gas blocks set for it. After shooting an OSS on FA a few times, I had to admit it was hands down better and decided to take a few hundred $ hit on the upgrade. It sucked but I will never buy a rifle can for an automatic again thats not this style. Bolt gun... different story.

You say a K can... So many people do this and I don't get it. The OSS gets dinged for being louder but then a K can is even in the running? I don't see the point? Its seems to have all the costs, heat, hassle with 1/2 the suppression. Other than a bit of weight and length... which how often to they matter?

I would not characterize it as over gassing. I use SLRs exclusively and to my best recollection, most if not all my guns(rifles, carbines, SBRs) are set between 7-9. I have no full autos so maybe there is a difference do to rates of fire.

In my experience if you only shoot it semi, you don't know just how over-gassed it is. Try dialing back the SLR with the can, I bet you can drop down the gas a fair amount and still have it cycle well. Over gassing is just MUCH more obvious and annoying in FA. However its still there in semi, you just don't notice as much. Pop off 10 rounds very quick and you should start to see it more.

Given the number of manufacturer developing “flow through” cans akin to the OSS/HUXWRX design, I think it is hard to argue that they haven’t had an impact on the market. It is also worth pointing out that the Helix QD line meters about as well as a Sandman S, and folks have no issue recommending those.....

I keep hearing things about the sound level on suppressors and I find real life a bit different usually. So testing the OSS vs another comparable suppressors is on my list to do this year. I did it with the Maxim 9 vs a P320 with an Osprey. I found the sounds different but about the same level. However clearly different tones and I like the Maxim 9 more without ears.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm just not that bothered by the gas and how my guns shoot now, relatively low recoil. I'm good. I'm not that spoiled nor picky.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm just not that bothered by the gas and how my guns shoot now, relatively low recoil. I'm good. I'm not that spoiled nor picky.

Lol. Ditto.

My ears are extremely sensitive though. So quiet is really important to me. And yeah I shoot super. But the can is as much for hunting with no ear pro as it is for plinking at the range. The later I am wearing ear pro anyway. So the difference of a few dB with super sonic ammo doesn’t matter.

Sub, well it would all be hearing safe anyway. Quieter is nice there, but not maybe critical.

For hunting with super sonic ammo? Most 30 cal fans are borderline hearing safe on a .308 and a 16” barrel. Many just the other side of hearing safe.

Yeah, sure, a 142dB with can setup is going to hurt your hearing. A heck of a lot less than no can and 165dB. But I’d rather be the other side of hearing safe.

I have not personally shot or heard an OSS can without ears on (I have with ears on, and it sounded louder than my Omega 300).

At least in theory on a bolt gun with supersonic ammo, an Omega 300 is hearing safe with a 300 win mag and 20” barrel.

It isn’t the quietest 30 cal can out there, but it’s up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom