New shooters going to Cresap on Sunday. Advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I and a group of about 15 new shooters are planning to go to the Cresap range this Sunday to shoot my AR. Is there anything in particular we should know before embarking on such an endeavor? What costs are involved, and what policies may cause issues with large noob-group shooting?

If I understand correctly:
    -Bring own firearm and ammunition
    -$2 entry fee
    -$3 eye protection rental
    -Bring ear plugs, or purchase them for $1
    -$1 per target
    -Follow strict safety guidelines listed on website
    -No rapid firing

Should we just take turns shooting while the others wait, or are we each required to get a separate lane? It's going to be 20 rds each, with one person shooting while another fills a spare mag with fresh cartridges.

What should we expect from the moment we enter the range grounds? What is the procedure for an event like this?

Many thanks!

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I would suggest getting hold of one of the range officers prior to the day. Topher is on the forums regularly and is a RSO at Cresap.
    Nothing at all wrong with new shooters but the size of the group may make things interesting.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I think you're bringing WAY to many people... Seriously, for your first time at CRESAP, make it a solo or as near solo trip as possible. You need to get the feel for the place before you bring 15 people there, because, my guess is that if you roll in with 15 people your first time there, you might be joining the esteemed ranks of people not welcome there.

The only exception to that is if these are all experienced shooters who you don't have to watch. You said that's not gonna be the case, these would all be new shooters. CRESAP is a fine place to shoot, but my first trip as a guest would not be with 15 people in tow, it would be me and maybe a buddy or two at most.

Mark

Last edited:

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I was planning on having it relatively small at first, but more and more people wanted to go, and now I have a group of this size. I will contact the range tomorrow if they're accepting calls, and I'll let them know the situation. If anyone can get ahold of Topher, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I heard for groups of 15 they cut you up and make BBQ out of you, like in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Just jokin they are very nice there. But it would be nice to contact them first so they know whats up before hand.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    15 people is way too many IMO, half that size would still be a lot. 3 people per lane is the max there is room for. But there's an area behind the line, and picnic tables outside, where people can hang out while waiting their turn.

The officers there are great, but they are also particular about handling and safety procedures... so you'll want to keep the group small enough that you can manage them. You don't want any of your n00bs scared off by a lecture from a guy wearing BDUs! Or worse, have anyone kicked out for doing something really careless.

Make sure you have given them a gun safety lecture and allowed each of them to practice loading, trigger discipline, and muzzle awareness at home first.

Topher will likely see this thread before your trip, and help you manage expectations. The ROs there are very understanding of new shooters.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Take 3 in at a time and let the rest wait before the yellow line until you call them. This would be easier to manage than letting 15 and mill arround one lane at the same time.

amish

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2008
    Fredneck
    Ditto to what everyone has said, 15 is a huge group to take to that range.

I take new friend shooters there now and then, but only 2 at most. That way we can all be in the same lane together, and I can keep an eye on them, and those not shooting aren't in the way.

If you must take all 15 at once, and not break them up into separate trips, talk to one of the RSO's first.

There are a few cresap members on the forum here, Topher and Fire-4-Effect are the two top posters. They'll be able to answer your questions better.

If you call during the week, you probably won't get anyone since it's not a full time operation.

I remember in the rules somewhere, they do have a guideline as to how many people can stand on the line at a time (I believe 2-3, varies between pistol/rifle). Make sure you follow that guideline. There is no way you can get 15 behind the line.

Extra people can wait behind the yellow line till it's their turn.

Also, since there will be a lot of noobs, they'll be curious about your firearm(s), and will want to look them over. I would encourage them not to do that at the range. They are strict about muzzle control.

Oh, and you pay afterwards. I would recommend stopping by wal-mart and picking up a couple pairs of shooters glasses and a few packs of the orange disposable ear protection. Only those forward of the yellow line need eye protection (chris/phil, slap me if wrong), so that'll be 3 people max. Everyone inside should have hearing protection.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I've taken many new shooters there before, but not in groups that large. I would suggest going multiple times with just a few each time. If the one AR is all you have then they would also be standing around waiting for a while. As the others have said, make sure they know how to safely handle firearms, and watch them especially as they first start. The range officers are great and will offer advice or point out anything unsafe. They have been both friendly and helpful to my friends and I when we go.

It's good that there are a number of people who are interested in shooting, and this is a great chance for you to teach them. Whatever you do, I hope they all enjoy it!

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I sent Topher a PM. He also suggested coming in smaller groups, but this will be a one time chance for many of these individuals, and I want to do what I can to accommodate them. We'll see what he says I guess.
    Unless someone knows of another range within that price and allows me to use my own ammunition, I don't see any alternatives.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    If you insist on doing it (and it seems like you have extenuating circumstances, so I don't really blame you), there's pretty much only one way it's going to work. First of all, keep everyone entirely outside of the range, by the picnic table in front of the plastic flaps leading into the range. Then you alone go into the range, claim a bench rest spot, and get your AR-15 uncased and pointing downrange.

Then, return outside of the range and bring you friends two at a time back to your spot. So you'll need to make ~7 groups of it overall, and it will take a long time, and the cease fires will slow things down further. But there's no better way to do it. I don't think you can handle more than two at a time at the bench rests; there simply isn't room for it. And your friends who aren't shooting at that moment really should be staying outside of the range, because there's no reason for them to be in it -- they'd just be getting in everyone's way and now you'd need 15 sets of hearing and eye protection instead of 2.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Do let us know how it goes! I haven't myself introduced anyone to firearms yet, and I'd like to hear how it went.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Lol, i thought about doing the same... but I got an afternoon flight out of BWI. Probably should avoid the powder :innocent0

Never set off anything for me... and I've shot the same day I've flown with my shoes getting tested, honestly I was surprised I didn't test positive for the gunpowder but I guess they aren't looking for that.

Mark

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Well, we've decided to split it up into two groups, with 9 individuals going this Sunday and the rest going the week after (I'll be going both times :D). Thanks to the help of certain forum members I've been able to purchase enough ammunition in addition to finding a reasonably priced .22 rifle. That added to the possibility of assistance from another member at the range in addition to the advice from a RSO, I believe we are ready to go. (Am I allowed to mention helpful members by forum name?)

Thanks all for the help, and I'll let you all know what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom