• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LostS0x

Dec 20, 2012
    Howard County
    I finally went with and found a MK25(my first handgun) in stock and just purchased it. I should be picking it up in a few weeks and want to be ready with a nice cleaning kit, mats, snap caps, etc.

- My first main questions is since the MK25 has its special coating is their any special cleaning tips or cleaners I should stay away from? I have been trying to research cleaning and found some descent sites, but nothing for MK25 and didn't know if the coating has special cleaning involved.

- Since I have never bought any cleaning supplies before is their any good all-in-one kits out there to start? And what extra cleaning supplies are good to have for regular cleaning after range shooting, etc?

- Outside of cleaning is their any other types of just good to have stuff, like snap caps for test firing, that I should look at getting?

I know everyone has their own tips and tricks so I would love to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks for your help.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Tom from 2A didn't sell you mine by mistake did he? Next Friday will be a month ;)

There are plenty threads about cleaning if you want to search. When I finally get mine, I am not cleaning or worried about anything harming some of those " corrosion resistant coatings".
    Clean, lube, shoot the piss out of it, repeat. ( well, shoot as much as the ammo hoarding will allow) :)

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I prefer the Otis cleaning kits. They have been very useful. Along with Slip 2000 oil I think you should be fine. I use Slip on all of my firearms and it works great. I don't have the MK25, just a basic 226. My MK24 isn't any different from the rest of my HKs and as stated above, clean, lube, shoot, and repeat. You should be fine. Just be advised that the Otis kits have their own cleaning patches but I use the basic military patches and it works just fine.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I prefer the Otis cleaning kits. They have been very useful. Along with Slip 2000 oil I think you should be fine. I use Slip on all of my firearms and it works great. I don't have the MK25, just a basic 226. My MK24 isn't any different from the rest of my HKs and as stated above, clean, lube, shoot, and repeat. You should be fine. Just be advised that the Otis kits have their own cleaning patches but I use the basic military patches and it works just fine.

Is the coating any different than the standard Nitron? If its nitron it does fine with CLP, though given the slides are stainless, it really doesnt need oil but I always keep a little on it for storage to be safe. CLP does fine for cleaning out these sigs on modern ammo, I use a tipton no damage poly coated rods with brass ends. Frankly the barrels are so smooth that I havent had to brush mine yet, a little CLP or Hoppes, a couple patches and it shines like a mirror

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Is the coating any different than the standard Nitron? If its nitron it does fine with CLP, though given the slides are stainless, it really doesnt need oil but I always keep a little on it for storage to be safe. CLP does fine for cleaning out these sigs on modern ammo, I use a tipton no damage poly coated rods with brass ends. Frankly the barrels are so smooth that I havent had to brush mine yet, a little CLP or Hoppes, a couple patches and it shines like a mirror

I'm sorry, I meant nitron finish. I assume that's the standard finish on most if not all of their pistols. My 229s have the same finish. You are correct that CLP or Hoppes would be fine. I know that I can go overboard and feel more comfortable having a thin coat in the event that they are stored for a while. It also makes subsequent cleanings easier. Sorry about the confusion.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Congrats on your purchase.

Not sure about all-in-one kits as I've never really bought one.

Really, IMO, all you NEED is:

CLP
    Bore brush
    Pistol cleaning rod
    Patch jag
    Patches
    Rag
    Toothbrush

If you want to be more thorough, as I like to be:

Get a dedicated cleaning solvent and a dedicated lubricant, in place of CLP. Not necessary, but that's what I like.

Q-tips for getting in the hard to reach places. But I would go for the "Bear metal action" cleaning swabs because they are much less likely to leave little fibers behind.

As for other stuff you were asking about...snap caps? You might want to grab a pack if you want to practice loading and unloading (you mentioned that this was your first handgun.) but they are not necessary to safely dry fire the gun.

Cleaning mat? Yeah, if you want. I usually just throw down some newspaper or folded paper towels. Get a mat though, if you want one. There are cool ones that show the firearm disassembled and the individual parts. You could probably find one for the MK25.

Don't overthink it, though. Grab a couple basic cleaning supplies and enjoy your gun. They don't need to be white glove clean, or even close, to function reliably. That's not to say you should neglect them, though.

As for the finish, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Just my opinions. Good luck!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Being true to who the MK25 "is made for and issued to" aside from the anchor :), the SEALS won't always have MK25 custom made solvents and lubes out and about doing what they do.
    You won't hurt any part of it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The hardest thing about the MK25 is going to be finding a holster that can accomodate the rail. The rail is "square" compared to other traditional rails that are "round".

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Just let me take the little siggy when you pick it up. Ill make sure its taken care of before i hand it over to you. In fact if you like, just let Tom know ill be picking it up for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom