• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I appreciate the confidence you guys feel about my posts. I too really want to like this gun, if they add a disconnector and make the muzzle device attachment more simple then the reliability stuff is not bad because tweaks can always fix that.

Malfunctions are not easy to clear either, but thats likely a training issue on my part.

Im looking forward to improvements.

I could've sworn the disconnector issue was present in their first prototype, but the next time they brought it out for public display they had revised a bunch of stuff, including revising/adding the disconnector? Is there any chance you saw a really early version, or is this a production model?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I could've sworn the disconnector issue was present in their first prototype, but the next time they brought it out for public display they had revised a bunch of stuff, including revising/adding the disconnector? Is there any chance you saw a really early version, or is this a production model?

I have worked on 2 so far and neither had a disconnector. Without a disconnector the gun is simply a range toy at best.

Im not familiar with all the Variants. I know the 2 I have had apart had mag tube withness holes which I thought was on the latest production units. I may be wrong.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    KT supposedly has a tool that will help free up the muzzle device. No idea why they decided to glue it on in the first place, though. A KSG v2 with a disconnector, dual simultaneous feed, and easier muzzle device attachment would be pretty sweet. Gotta figure they have plans for that...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    KT supposedly has a tool that will help free up the muzzle device. No idea why they decided to glue it on in the first place, though. A KSG v2 with a disconnector, dual simultaneous feed, and easier muzzle device attachment would be pretty sweet. Gotta figure they have plans for that...

We couldnt locate an Barrel Nut Tool. Scott had to machine one out of a large socket.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I wanted one BAD but unless they make serious changes its just a novelty shotgun.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Chad. I've handled several Kel-Tecs and owned one (SU-22) for a while. They all have some really neat innovations in terms of function or size, but all of the ones I have experience with seem to exchange some very basic things for those innovations. That's no good in my book. Not to mention Kel-Tec's complete inability to keep up with demand.

As much as I bash Ruger for copycatting designs (*cough* LCP *cough*), I really hope they come out with a similar design but do it better. Rugers may not always be refined in terms of accuracy or fit/finish, but they do tend to be properly built (or overbuilt) in terms of safety and reliability, as well as manufactured in sufficient numbers to meet demand.

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Okay...I found the KSG by accident surfing the web...fell in love immediately. The KSG just screams I AM A BAD MFer and I screw your girlfriend and beat you into dust. Best looking boomstick since the SPAS 12. All of the You Tube goodness on the KSG just fueled my desire for one. I wouldn't pay the prices they are going for now though. I never pay more than retail for anything that is still in production...I'd rather wait.

Anyway...I went to my local gun shop to pay for and order a SCAR 16S. My bonus check was just itching to be turned into guns so I also asked if I could score a KSG. Two of the people behind the counter immediately let me know of their less than good opinion of the Keltec and KSG. These aren't the usual gun shop folks either. I like and trust them. They know their stuff and haven't steered me wrong yet. They mentioned one breaking while they held it at SHOT..then handed me a little Keltec LCP clone that felt like it was about to fall apart it was so fragile. Kind of made me think. I know nothing of Keltec aside from the fact they have guns with crazy magazines and feed mechs. Is this an opinion shared by most? And...if they have a less than stellar rep can the KSG be an exception? I really dig the KSG but that is having never held or fired one. The video gamer in me is just dying empty 15 rounds of dragons breath out of one! So basically should I wait or just saw screw it and get a Benelli M4...after all it was in Zombieland!

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    To all of you. I've asked around about this shotgun and..... if you can find some dealer to offer to order you one, plan on a 10 month or more wait to get it. I saw a lot of rolling eyes and huffs when I asked dealers about this pup. I'll bide my time and wait for the hoopla to ware down and buy it for $650. Watch and wait. That's all I got to say about this.

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    One more thing. If you do your homework. Contact the manufacturer and ask when the next batch will ship out. If that doesn't work call the wholsalers to see when they expect shipment. Once you do that you can ask your local dealer which wholesaler they deal with and time it so you don't have to wait so long. It may even be better to start at the dealer and work your way back to the manufacturer.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    then handed me a little Keltec LCP clone that felt like it was about to fall apart it was so fragile.

:lol:

The Ruger LCP was a clone of the KelTec P3AT. The KelTec predates the Ruger by years.

I've actually mostly just heard good stuff about the P3AT. I've handled their P9 and P11, and while I wasn't a big fan, esp of the triggers, they seemed like perfectly decent guns, at least handling them.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    One more thing. If you do your homework. Contact the manufacturer and ask when the next batch will ship out. If that doesn't work call the wholsalers to see when they expect shipment. Once you do that you can ask your local dealer which wholesaler they deal with and time it so you don't have to wait so long. It may even be better to start at the dealer and work your way back to the manufacturer.

Constantly bombarding dealers with 'Is it there yet" wont do anything to benefit the consumer.

Most distributors unless you are an FFL o1/07/SOT wont even talk to consumers. Im talking about REAL distributors such as Ellett, Jerrys, RSR, Camfour, etc.....

J&G, CDNN, AIM, they are not true distributors because they sell to the general public, this makes them more like low cost retailers.

Southern Cross

Oct 2, 2007
    Chase, MD
    Man...if any of the guys from Keltec read my post they will not be happy!

I think I'll take the sage advice just posted...wait a few months until the price dips and see if I can get my hands on one at a discount. It just looks too good not to add one to the collection. Hell the SPAS12 is pretty much universally thought of as the meanest looking shotgun out there...and it has its share of reasons not to buy...especially for home defense.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Man...if any of the guys from Keltec read my post they will not be happy!

I think I'll take the sage advice just posted...wait a few months until the price dips and see if I can get my hands on one at a discount. It just looks too good not to add one to the collection. Hell the SPAS12 is pretty much universally thought of as the meanest looking shotgun out there...and it has its share of reasons not to buy...especially for home defense.

If you want a good bullpup shotgun go this route:

http://www.bullpupunlimited.com/

At least it is based on a well tested and trusted design (the Rem 870).

I am waiting breathlessly for mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom