New Groundhog Rifle for the wife. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My vote is for the .223. There is PLENTY of ammo to be found for it (either bulk or otherwise) and it would be more than enough gun and plenty accurate for groundhog ranges.

Years ago when Dad and I would go out prairie dog shooting, he used his tricked out Mauser 98 sporter in 25-06 with a Redfied 3x9 var, and I used a Sako Vixen in .223 with a Leupold Vari-X 3x9 var. While the .25-06 was flatter shooting and better at bucking wind, I still managed to pull off some 250-300 yard shots now and again with the .223, and it was pretty much on the money between 100 and 150 as long as I did my part.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    .204 Ruger is a good choice if you can stomach the ammo cost. My Savage model 93 in .22 WMR was an eye poker at 125-150 and only cost me about $220 brand new. .22 hornet is also a good choice and a handy little caliber. The safe and cheap way to go is .223, there are never ending options for rifles in that caliber.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Just deleted a post saying to simply use a standard round like a 5.56, 5.45, 7.62. Missed the "cost is a factor" part of the OP. I still say a cheap 5.56 would be a good option, depending on just how much you wanted to spend. A Savage Arms Stevens model 200 perhaps? They MSRP for a smidge over $400.
    I will repeat from the deleted post that I've never understood some of these "boutique" calibers that cost as much as a standard combat caliber. Why spend more money on ammo to kill a 25ish lb little animal? It might be over kill to use a 5.56/5.45/7.62 on a groundhog, but I like overkill. :D

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I would just finish and use y our ar15...plenty accurate. Just add a good scope

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    .204 Ruger is a good choice if you can stomach the ammo cost. My Savage model 93 in .22 WMR was an eye poker at 125-150 and only cost me about $220 brand new. .22 hornet is also a good choice and a handy little caliber. The safe and cheap way to go is .223, there are never ending options for rifles in that caliber.

.223 is cheap if you are shooting FMJ but varmint rounds (aka V-Max) cost quite a bit more in comparison. With Hornady pushing the .17 Hornet, it would be nice to see the .22 Hornet make a comeback.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    With Varmints, you are probably not going to eat it, so you can't go wrong with a little more gun. Maybe a .270? Shoots flat and managable recoil.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    My vote is for the .223. There is PLENTY of ammo to be found for it (either bulk or otherwise) and it would be more than enough gun and plenty accurate for groundhog ranges.

Years ago when Dad and I would go out prairie dog shooting, he used his tricked out Mauser 98 sporter in 25-06 with a Redfied 3x9 var, and I used a Sako Vixen in .223 with a Leupold Vari-X 3x9 var. While the .25-06 was flatter shooting and better at bucking wind, I still managed to pull off some 250-300 yard shots now and again with the .223, and it was pretty much on the money between 100 and 150 as long as I did my part.

The .223 is a great choice for prarie dogs. You stand a lot less chance of cooking the throat out of a rifle, if you get into some heavy shooting, which can occur in a dogtown.

220 swifts & even 22-250 can cook the throat in a rifle, IF you get into fast repetitive shooting, in a standard sporter rifle -but they are both awesome calibers.

If the gun is going to be a dedicated varmint gun, Id opt for a bolt gun with a varmint barrel & length. You'll get more velocity and energy in the longer barrel then you would in a shorter AR barrel in .223.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Just an FYI it's illegal to to hunt any animal with FMJ in Maryland. Not even a mouse. Keep that in mind if you go with the .223 or 556.
    Is varminting considered "hunting?"

Also, what are the stipulations about shooting on farmground that is considered private property?

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011
    NEF Handi Rifle in .223 - they make a heavy barrel version that would work great for your intended application.

Longhammer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 23, 2009
    I would stick with the 22 and teach stalking skills. She will have 2 skillsets. Stalking and shooting.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    .223 Remington caliber.

Fairly inexpensive to buy the rifle (ARs work great!) and ammo is relatively inexpensive.

55 gr Hornady V-Max 'boolit' and H-335 makes for one nice groundhog combination.
    (Well, I've not had any groundhogs say anything bad about it. Never had one get up after being hit with one, either!):D

It's either .223 or .50 BMG. Settle for nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom