New Groundhog Rifle for the wife. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    So the wife wants a new rifle for dispatching groundhogs on the farm next to our house. After talking to the owner and proudly telling them how good she was, they asked her if she would like to get rid of theirs and she said, "sure". I don't think she realized that on a 135 acre farm her little iron sight .22 isn't going to cut it. It's great for shooting out the window in the backyard, but I don't think it will do 100-150 yds as accurately. So what do you suggest she get? I don't really want to break the bank on this, so cost is a consideration. Thanks.

Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    Im liking this fugly Savage Axis I picked up in .223, its a cheap and accurate bolt action. Plenty of caliber choices. I think I paid maybe $370 total (scoped model) for it and I wanna get one in .308 next.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Eh Id probably step up to .223 with varmint bullets. .17 HMR will work but the ammo is almost as much as .223.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If she was planning on shooting at them at 200 yards and beyond I would go with .223. If shooting in the 100-150 yard range and under, I would go with .22 WMR.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I like my 22-250 but I can say it is a little much at times unless she likes a lot of blood and head eruptions.

IDE say .223,17 rem,22 hornet and I have really been looking at 17 hornets lately.

If she wants to really go for the pink mist, 22-250,243 220 swift

270 and 308 are really fun too but big bang has some push to it.

Take your pick at brand. Remington 700 sps varmints are a real good deal but can only get them in 223 and 22-250 I think? Savage make a sweet varmint gun too

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    22-250!

Or a .223

. 22-250 is a football field flatter then the .223, but both are great woodchuck guns. The recoil is mild on both guns- and are tons of fun to shoot. Load some V-max or Nosler BT Varmint, and you have perfect varmint round.

Id opt for a bolt action rifle as well.

gunconnection

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2008
    I just got in a real nice, used Rem700 SPS Varmint in 22-250rem with a camo stock.
    Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the price.
    Thanks,
    Dan

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I have a Howa 1500 in .22-250 that drops G-Hogs in their tracks...actually can make quite a mess of em depending on the shot. I have been interested in taking a look at the H&R Ultra in .204 for varmint as well and then sending it in to get a .22 Hornet and .45LC barrel fitted.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    I have the 700 sps in 22-250 as well. I was keeping around a 1" group at 200 with the 40 grain nosler BT varmint rounds before I got my new stock and started reloading. I'm using 52 grain Sierra match kings now and they do a good number on a g-hog under 200. You don't get much meat off of squirrels though!

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I shot many a groundhog growing up with a 30-06. Farmers where I lived would pay to shoot them on their land, but I only got paid if I produced the body. Way too many of the critters made it back to their holes after taking a good .22 mag hit -- one with a piece of its head missing -- so it was necessary to step it up (and i didn't have anything less than the 30-06). Light 30-06 soft points really did a number on the little bastids.

My point is: err on the side of more power... .223 is a min IMO.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm leaning toward something in .223 because when our AR's are finished that's what they will be. But keep the ideas and suggestions coming.
    Mossberg MVP. Uses the same ammo and mags. Shoots nicely (or at least enough for this purpose).

streetdude

Oct 3, 2012
    I've used .17, (Marlin 917 varmit w/4x12 scope), for groundhogs out to about 100yds worked fine but now that i stepped up to a .223 looking forward to giving that a try in the spring when them rascals pop up out of their borrows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom