• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Right now i currently use a .243 Ruger M77 MARK ll for deer hunting. I love the gun, shoots great, and have had very good luck using 95 grain Winchester Supreme Balistic Tip Bullets. The only downfall is that it doesnt seem to have the knock down power of other rifles. I may have rolled three out of 20 deer with it. Next year Im looking to upgrade but am not sure what to go with. I hear a lot about .270s, .30-06s, and even .257s. Personally I like the 7mm-08, but am not 100% if it is what i want. Any ideas on calibers and models?

fergieDSP

May 12, 2006
    I bought a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .30-06 last year as my new deer rifle. We had a bad season for deer where i hunted this year and only saw about 10 all together and killed only one. But the one i killed dropped instantly (sp?). Its a little heavy of a caliber for deer around here but i plan on using it on larger game and didnt want to spend the money on more than one rifle. i use the federal fusion 165 grain ammo.

Last edited:

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Thats what my old man wants me to get, but i hear from a lot of people that .30-06 is just overkill for deer and more rcoil than needed. so im still not sure bc like you said it can be used for bigger game.

fergieDSP

May 12, 2006
    It does kick, but like i said it dropped that dear in its spot. i didnt have to track it or anything. it may be a little overkil, but it does the job. the only thing i dont like about the medallion is that it has a really nice stock and i was afraid of scratching it in the woods, but it didnt happen. my next purchase will be a synthetic stock for it though.

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    Buy what you like . The first gun I bought 30 years ago was a Winchester model 70 .270 . It's all I ever use for whitetail ,bear and chucks . The rest I just shoot at paper .

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I have a remington 700 30-06. The kick is not bad at all. I wouldn't say it is anymore than a 7.62. I use core lok 165gr bullets and have very good success with them. Retains alot of the weight. It is a good all round rifle it could even handle some bigger game if needed.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    im bouncing back and forth between .270, 7mm-.08, and .308. Now i just need to find a few to shoot and see what i like.
    I'm a big fan of 7mm rounds for deer hunting. I had a Remington 700 7mm Remington Magnum that I used back in Arizona. I think it would be overkill here on the east coast, but it was great for long range shots out west.

My friend had a little Winchester Model 7 7mm-08, and that thing was a dream. It was extremely light and had an unbelievably flat trajectory. Winchester no longer makes that rifle anymore, but if I saw a used one in a gun store I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Of course there is always the S&W 14" Model 460 Magnum Hunter Revolver. :D

Attachments

• 170282_large.jpg
      170282_large.jpg
      9.5 KB · Views: 402

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    On paper I really like a 7mm 08, fast and flat love to have one in a BLR. You're right on the .243 I think, I use one and have hit several deer perfect at less than 50 yards and had to drag them halfway cross Wicomico Co to get them home. Others I hit head on in the heart and they just flopped. 06 has always been reliable for me but a 12 ga slug works incredable, they go nowhere.
    Id go 06 or the 7-08, both more than adequate IMO. The 7mm might be easier on your shoulder tho the 06 ain't really bad.

Rednekrebel

Apr 9, 2007
    Edgemere
    nick, gotta go with the 30-06 on this one. .270's and .308's ain't to bad but the 06 never fails. you'll get the see the 15th what the 06 feels like. They really ain't to much of an over killer, just the right bullet and you'll be good

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Remington 700 in 2506 is my preference. Reloading 120 gr hornady HP for deer amd 87 gr for varmints.

Im not a re-loader, dont plan on it, and im looking to for a rifle that is a fairly common round. If I run out I want to be able to go to most stores and have an option of a few differnt kinds. Also looking for multy purpose. Same rifle for different game, deer for around here, but i dont want to have to buy another rifle to shoot a bear, elk,...

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    30-06 the best all around hunting round there is . you can find the ammo anyware and it will cleanly kill any north american game animal .i like the remington 700 action its dependble and strong. just my thoughts.

Thats what a lot of people say, but theres also a lot of people who would argue tooth and nail that it is overkill, too much recoil for no reason. I dont care if it kicks or not i just want a good all around rifle, but I am not really leaning towards a .30-06.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Thats what a lot of people say, but theres also a lot of people who would argue tooth and nail that it is overkill, too much recoil for no reason. I dont care if it kicks or not i just want a good all around rifle, but I am not really leaning towards a .30-06.

Who's to say whats overkill with an 06? You can use light .30 cal bullets for plinking to 220 gr monsters for the biggest game. 150 has always worked well for me on deer. 06 = most versitle cartridge around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom