• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • You're buying new camo for Bambi season. Cost is not a barrier, though a factor to consider. Pick:

• Forloh (USA!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Go Wild (USA!)

• Sitka Fanatic

Votes: 5 31.3%
    • Sitka Stratus

Votes: 2 12.5%
    • First Lite

Votes: 2 12.5%
    • Kuiu

Votes: 3 18.8%
    • Kryptek

Votes: 1 6.3%
    • King's Camo

Votes: 1 6.3%
    • Drake/Scentlok/Scentblocker (out of space to add more)

• Mossy Oak/Realtree (out of space to add more)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I need new camo. I bought some red head coveralls two seasons ago (almost entirely because my old red head jacket I bought in 2009 was still kicking and built like a tank - didn't stop to think that BPS had ruined the brand). They are warm, but otherwise awful; noisy and the main zipper is already broken. I have early season gear, but the amount of layering to make it work in late season is just too much. So, I'm looking for something that I can wear in a [normal] mid-November and comfortably layer in January to finish out archery. I'm leaning to bibs and a jacket as opposed to coveralls since I'm no longer hunting on a hilltop in Carroll County, and I just haven't enjoyed this coverall experiment. (ETA: hunting in Somerset County - not marshland, but it can get wet. Mostly pine forest (huge pines), with some smaller oak and the like.

I hunt rifle as many days as possible, but spend far more time in the woods with my crossbow. Everything I have looked at is just not Goldilocks for me. I'm going to drop two at the front that I know the least about, for reasons that should be obvious ('Merica - Fvck Yeah!)

- Forloh - MADE IN AMERICA. You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. But, I know nothing about it.

-Go Wild - MADE IN AMERICA. You had my curiosity, now you have my attention. But, I know nothing about it. Prices are damned competitive too.

-Sitka Fanatic (I think the pattern is too light - but I don't like the "low" durability, lack of water resistance and it seems it might be too much for mid season)

-Sitka Stratus (pattern is still too light, but otherwise seems like a better option from Sitka). I do like the features the jacket has...

[am I wrong about the Elevated print? It almost seems like the waterfowl print would be more appropriate for the area. Sitka seems like the widely accepted "best" brand, but at that price point I'd like some confirmation]

-First Lite direct to consumer so I don't know if I trust the reviews - and most of them complain the collar is awfully uncomfortable and the sleeves are too tight. What I have seen here previously says their base layers are great, the rest not so much...

-Kuiu - again, not a fan of the patterns, direct to consumer so same concern with the reviews, and it seems they somehow manage to be more expensive than Sitka (how?!?)

-Kryptek - this is one I only recently looked at, and I do much prefer the pattern for the terrain I'm in, but to me Kryptek is a pattern, as in digital property, more than a proper clothing brand. Am I off base on this? Anyone have experience with Kryptek brand hunting clothes? I will say that, quality concerns being equal, I like their offerings

-King's Camo - I know nothing about this brand. Look's like it may be a middling brand worth consideration. But, my concerns with quality are here. Some reviews mention it being noisy...

[Those below I have all but ruled out, unless y'all can tell me I'm a dumb ass to do so]

-Drake - waterfowl company first, though they are [I think recently] producing whitetail gear. I tried some on and the fit really wasn't comfortable...

-Scentlok - Some reviews complain about quality and things just not holding up. Also, they have so many bloody options! It seems like the late season option might be "too much" for mid season.

-Scentblocker - seems like bargain, with resulting "bargain" quality. I want something that will last me several (is "many" possible anymore?) years

- Mossy Oak - same as above re quality concerns

- Realtree - ditto

-King's Camo - I know nothing about this brand. Look's like it may be a middling brand worth consideration. But, my concerns with quality are here. Some reviews mention it being noisy...

Poll lists what is above; let me know if you think I'm missing an option.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I'm buying more Sitka, only cause they make more tall options.

The elevated camo isn't great for turkey hunting, so I mainly stick to the subalpine version of things. Deer don't care about the pattern.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I do not need stinking camouflage when hunting and have been hunting for over 50 years.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I started years back wearing BDU pants and love the six pockets for every day crap. Past couple years switched to German Flecktarn as US BDU's are crazy expensive and they sell that cheap, plus I love the camo pattern. BDU's fix all the quality concerns you address.

My personal opinion is military camo far exceeds what most private companies sell. I have noticed shadow grass looks like its glowing in the morning sun. Also most patterns are so dark the wearer looks like a dark blob in lower shade light conditions. They are made to fool the buyer, not fool the hunted.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I do not need stinking camouflage when hunting and have been hunting for over 50 years.
    My brother the hunter has harvested deer on a regular basis wearing work pants, sweatshirt and jacket. A heavy smoker he coughs hacks and smokes in the woods. He always connects with a buck some very respectable. He shot one from the hip because it walked right up to him. A nice 7 pointer.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    comfort/warmth is first priority. Purpose built camo tends to have pockets/layout that I like for the purpose. Truth be told, pattern is lower on the list - but when you get to Sitka prices (or worse, Kuiu), it better be darn near perfect. Early season I'm wearing OD cargo pants and the like just based on temp...

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Warmth, comfort and durability are the most important thing. I have also learned to "buy once and cry once" for hunting gear, after buying low quality crap twice too many times.

I like my sitka stuff and agree that the Redhead brand went way downhill fast. I bought the sitka fanatic and incinerator suits in 2014 and still use them for everything. I hunt 20-30 times a year and absolutely love the gear still.

The fanatic is good from about 35-55 degrees, which covers the majority of the cold days in fall. You're right that it's not fully waterproof like a rain jacket. I got a Kuiu Yukon rain suit a few years ago and use that with a jacket/sweater underneath for the rain.

For 0-35 degrees, the incinerator is like sitting in a sleeping bag. I've sat in a blizzard with wind and 15* temps and felt perfectly fine. Best of all, when the wind and snow died down, the deer started moving and I was probably the only one left in the woods.

I'm another one who thinks camo isn't necessary for deer hunting or for most waterfowl hunting (i.e. if you're in a blind). I've killed a turkey at 20 yards wearing a brown Carhart jacket, green pants and some face paint. But the best and warmest gear generally comes in camo patterns and it probably helps hide yourself from the most wary ducks and turkeys. My Kuiu rainsuit is just plain brown and I've arrowed plenty of deer wearing it. I really don't think it matters at all for deer hunting -- especially if you're in a tree stand. I've arrowed plenty of deer wearing a t-shirt in the early season. But I ALWAYS wear face paint! It's the best way to look like you're serious about hunting...and I do think it helps if deer wind you and look up into the tree, and takes the shine off for ducks/turkeys.

If you're also looking at waders, I really like the banded waders I bought 3 years ago.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I need new camo. I bought some red head coveralls two seasons ago (almost entirely because my old red head jacket I bought in 2009 was still kicking and built like a tank - didn't stop to think that BPS had ruined the brand). They are warm, but otherwise awful; noisy and the main zipper is already broken.
    As someone who also needed new camo and just spent a small fortune on Red Head, this hurts my feelings a little to hear. I guess I'll see how well they hold up.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My brother the hunter has harvested deer on a regular basis wearing work pants, sweatshirt and jacket. A heavy smoker he coughs hacks and smokes in the woods. He always connects with a buck some very respectable. He shot one from the hip because it walked right up to him. A nice 7 pointer.
    I was stationed in Alaska and never wore camo -30 below just wore what the natives did. When in Alaska do what the First Nations does. I have hunted from Maine to NY and just wore wool plaid hunting cloths the farthest thing from camo.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have some kryptek hoodies and battle shirts. Love the pattern, at least the items I have are average, the battle shirts are on par with 5.11 stuff but nothing mindblowing that would make stick to "their" line if someone showed me something better in the same pricing ball park.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I like Mossy Oak, or I did. Have an old set of bibs and coat (tried coveralls, not a fan) last season bought a new set of bibs from Bass Pro. Sized a bit smaller than I should have, but my main complaint is they smell strange (chemical) and washing twice in scent eliminating soap, hanging outside has not helped.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    As someone who also needed new camo and just spent a small fortune on Red Head, this hurts my feelings a little to hear. I guess I'll see how well they hold up.
    BPS has been in the chitter for years. Lots of talk out there how they make junk under Redhead, Their decoys you can scratch paint off with your fingernails. People complaining how tracker boats went south after they bought them. They even ruined Cabelas now. They replaced their buyers and run cabelas brand under BPS buyers now. I bought Full draw warm weather boots after BPS took over and the sole started falling off. They wouldn't take them back and I glued the sole back on with JB weld. Working for now, but stitching is starting to come apart. The Cordura is fine, but nothing else is holding together.

I won't buy anything from BPS or Cabelas any longer unless it is made by another company and not in in house product! I used to solely by Cabelas also. Even stopped using my credit card as the points just became a way to buy something from them, with points, that I could buy from rogers or elsewhere cheaper. It kind of devalued the points being accrued.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    BPS has been in the chitter for years. Lots of talk out there how they make junk under Redhead, Their decoys you can scratch paint off with your fingernails. People complaining how tracker boats went south after they bought them. They even ruined Cabelas now. They replaced their buyers and run cabelas brand under BPS buyers now. I bought Full draw warm weather boots after BPS took over and the sole started falling off. They wouldn't take them back and I glued the sole back on with JB weld. Working for now, but stitching is starting to come apart. The Cordura is fine, but nothing else is holding together.

I won't buy anything from BPS or Cabelas any longer unless it is made by another company and not in in house product! I used to solely by Cabelas also. Even stopped using my credit card as the points just became a way to buy something from them, with points, that I could buy from rogers or elsewhere cheaper. It kind of devalued the points being accrued.
    Totally true. I bought some Cabelas branded brush pants three years ago and I think they cost close to $100. I used them for dog training and upland hunting -- no more than 30-40 total times wearing them, and I was certainly using them for the intended purpose. They started getting holes all over the place and I had to retire them when the inseam split. Pathetic.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    If price doesn't matter, I like the Kuiu gear. It was founded by one of the guys that started Sitka before they got bought out by Gore. I know a guy that lives out in Jackson Wy. and he swears by it for warmth and that's how I got started on it.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Sitka Fanatic outerwear for Fall/Winter - except rain. Any quality synthetic base layers are a key to the system.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    If price doesn't matter, I like the Kuiu gear. It was founded by one of the guys that started Sitka before they got bought out by Gore. I know a guy that lives out in Jackson Wy. and he swears by it for warmth and that's how I got started on it.

I walk a lot when hunting. Being able to ventilate is very important. Kuiu has great systems to let fresh air in while exerting yourself.

Kuiu has good sales a few times a year.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Also to add… personally speaking, I would not pay for high end outer wear. Where I hunt the thorns and briars would wreck it. I focus on spending more on my base layers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom