• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    You can now shoot steel targets at distances less than 100 yards at the Barnes Range. I decided to take them up on it. You need to shoot pistol caliber in pistols or rifles. I was shooting 30 Carbine, and 45 Colt at 53 yards (minimum is 52 yards). And, I was using this base setup: https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com/product/ar500-target-stand-base/
    See the AGC Policies and Procedures Manual.
    PS: You also have to check in with the RSO before setting up.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Isn't there an extra sign off that we have to do first to be "trained"?

There was a dude down at the left end of the range the other day shooting handguns on some steel. The target was impossibly small (for me :D) and he was just killing it with every shot. It was very impressive shooting.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    How did you mount your target at 50 yards since there are no steel frame brackets like those at 100 yards?

one of these.

Attachments

• ground spike.jpg
      ground spike.jpg
      7.8 KB · Views: 576

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    So the same distance as the pistol range?
    Still suck. 50 yards is impractical for pistol shooting, I would love to practice drawing and firing with steel but 50 yards is useless when practicing for IDPA. Seems like it only benefits bullseye Shooters but that's a dead sport spot benefits nobody in the end.

I joined AGC to draw from a holster and shoot steel. I won't be renewing my membership until they get real and let people shoot steel closer.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Still suck. 50 yards is impractical for pistol shooting, I would love to practice drawing and firing with steel but 50 yards is useless when practicing for IDPA. Seems like it only benefits bullseye Shooters but that's a dead sport spot benefits nobody in the end.

I joined AGC to draw from a holster and shoot steel. I won't be renewing my membership until they get real and let people shoot steel closer.

Did you check out the Action Shooting Group? I don't know much about them, but I recently donated a reactive steel target to them because it was too heavy for me to lug out to 100 yards.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I thought the .22 as ok at 30 yards now: http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/agc/pdfs/Policies Procedures Manual.pdf

XX. III.A.2. Commercially manufactured steel targets designed to be fired upon with .22 rim fire may be placed at the minimum distance recommended by the manufacturer but ,in NO case , less than 30 yards from the front edge of the concrete pad.

So, wait, .30 carbine at 53 yards is ok? Is that pistol caliber?

100 yd range III.A.3 Fixed steel plate targets may be shot at with handgun-caliber long guns and handguns at a range no less than 52 yards (two paces beyond the 50-yard cement target frame placements) from the front edge of the concrete pad.

Also, on the 50-yd range:
    Handguns with barrels 10” or less in length may be fired at fixed , steel -plate targets set up in the brackets placed on the back side of the railroad ties at approximately 24 yards , on positions 56, 57 and 58 ONLY.

The caliber restrictions on Barnes are still a little hokey. 30 carbine ok at 53 yards, .357 magnum not?

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County

with the appropriate steel target and badge, you can shoot pistols at 25 yds at the far right end of the range only. there are railroad ties that have 3 brackets for the 2x4 posts. Please see new steel range rules for specifics.
    Also wrap around eye protection is required for the new reduced distance steel shooting
    dan
    It is easy to hit steel at 25 yds

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    75 feet is still too far. 10-20 yards is ideal. Anything beyond that is pretty useless for the average shooter or even competition shooter.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I thought the .22 as ok at 30 yards now: http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/agc/pdfs/Policies Procedures Manual.pdf

So, wait, .30 carbine at 53 yards is ok? Is that pistol caliber?

Also, on the 50-yd range:

The caliber restrictions on Barnes are still a little hokey. 30 carbine ok at 53 yards, .357 magnum not?

My question also about the M1. If that .30 cal round could be fired from a handgun, it would be ok at 53 yds. If not then 100 yds. That is not what is meant by pistol caliber. It also has to do with energy and fps.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    75 feet is still too far. 10-20 yards is ideal. Anything beyond that is pretty useless for the average shooter or even competition shooter.

that might come in the future with the action shooting range that is being considered, and if you take part in the 3 gun shooting, the distances are less.
    I am no expert (very average) but had no trouble hitting the steel at 25 yds

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    My question also about the M1. If that .30 cal round could be fired from a handgun, it would be ok at 53 yds. If not then 100 yds. That is not what is meant by pistol caliber. It also has to do with energy and fps.

Yes, from what I have been taught, .30 carbine is a "pistol caliber" round. I have a Ruger Blackhawk pistol that shoots a .30 carbine round. I can also fire my M1 Carbine at the indoor range at On Target because it is a pistol caliber rifle.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    Yes, from what I have been taught, .30 carbine is a "pistol caliber" round. I have a Ruger Blackhawk pistol that shoots a .30 carbine round. I can also fire my M1 Carbine at the indoor range at On Target because it is a pistol caliber rifle.

You could be correct, I am not familiar with the gun or round and am not saying that I am certain you are wrong. I believed from my read of the rules that "pistol" caliber meant 9mm 40 S&W 45 or 357. The size/length of your magazine made it look like a rifle round to me
    dan

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    Page 25 shows the pistol calibers usable on the 50 yard range. It might be that they use this list when defining "pistol caliber" in other sections of the rules book. (as Original Poster mentioned, he checked with RSO prior to shooting)

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org/agc/pdfs/Policies Procedures Manual.pdf

Page 60 has the new rules (section XX / III Exceptions to IIB)

My personal experience is Like any rule in there, it is much better to ask for permission than forgiveness at AGC. Never hurts to get RSO clarification 7 permission before doing something. Worse they can do to you is make you feel silly for asking. That won't get you written up :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom