• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    As said, rent everything, then buy your favorite. Some gun ranges will allow you to try all of the offering in a caliber for the cost of a single rental.

The current crop of 9mm pistols is very good and most of them will meet your needs. The decision comes down to personal preference which is learned behind the trigger.

Wenglo

Aug 8, 2012
    I own a sig 226, glock 19 and kahr cw9, all mentioned previously. If I had to pick one, with ccw in mind, it'd be the glock 19. If I had to pick one, with no intention to carry or knowing I'd buy a second gun to carry, it'd be the sig.

urahoho

Jun 11, 2012
    I like the m&p 9. Feels real nice in the hands. Shoots well. Trigger could use some work. But a few mods out there for it.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Why does my FFL ask for tax on transfer from out of state gun purchase?
    Is this fraud?

In a word "NO". I, like most other folks hate taxes....Here in Maryland the "Sales" tax as written is a "Sales and Use Tax". MD does not care where you buy something. if you bring it into the State to use it, you pay the tax. Cars are a good example, or anything else, for that matter. Back in the day when Dandy Don was running the show, he was ready to "man the borders" waiting for folks bringing in stuff (like furniture, etc,) from DE. MD is still trying to get WEB sales taxed on stuff coming into the State. I suspect the FFL's hate the Tax crap, it's a big PITA. But when the State comes into the shop to check their "Bound Book", and tax records, they better be right.

Just my opinion
    R

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    In a word "NO". I, like most other folks hate taxes....Here in Maryland the "Sales" tax as written is a "Sales and Use Tax". MD does not care where you buy something. if you bring it into the State to use it, you pay the tax. Cars are a good example, or anything else, for that matter. Back in the day when Dandy Don was running the show, he was ready to "man the borders" waiting for folks bringing in stuff (like furniture, etc,) from DE. MD is still trying to get WEB sales taxed on stuff coming into the State. I suspect the FFL's hate the Tax crap, it's a big PITA. But when the State comes into the shop to check their "Bound Book", and tax records, they better be right.

I will agree that the individual pays the tax, to the state. Not to the transferring FFL.

From the Comptroller's webpage:
    When you purchase goods from businesses located outside of Maryland, they are not required to collect Maryland's sales tax unless they have a physical location, or deliver services, in Maryland. Also, you are not required to pay the sales tax in the state where the business is located. However, you are required to pay the 6 percent use tax directly to the Comptroller of Maryland by filing the consumer use tax return by the appropriate due date.

http://individuals.marylandtaxes.com/usetax/usetax.asp

I believe the voluntary compliance rate on this is very low.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile at the OP . You want a gun that : Fits YOUR hand with all three fingers on the grip. You want a trigger pull that you can shoot reasonably well.

Concealment is more of a clothing issue, dress around the gun instead of the reverse. Yes, G17 sized guns can be concealed. That said , a sweet spot of easy shooting and concealment for semis is +/- 4in .

The ones origional mentioned are all viable potential choices to be test driven , but not limited to those.

As an observation , with the present demand for XDm's , the *regular* XD's are available at attractive prices.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    M&P or Glock 19, Even an XD.... you will not be disappointed by any of the three.

I have the M&P Compact and a Glock 19. I have shot an XD as well... Check them out at a range where you could rent them as stated above.

^^^Kind of funny, the three lowest on my totem pole! :lol:

Take a look at a SIG P228 if you can find one...

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    I love my Sig, got a model 2009 that I'll shoot against anyone with. S&W are sellouts, so I wouldn't consider them. Beretta is always a good choice as well.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    what kind of frame do you prefer polymer or metal frame?

poly:
    Glock 19 is the most versitile size for CCW and plinking
    M&P

metal:
    SIG P228/229

Hard to agrue with this...
    I would also suggest looking at CZ. They have a P-01 and P-07 Duty gun that is supposed have kicked ass in testing.
    I love the feel of a CZ.

This is from their web site:
    Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142!

Chris

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not much of a glock fan for whatever reason they never felt "right" in my hands adn I have held most of their guns.

EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    Desert eagle .357 mag (9x33mmR) ;)

JK, a S&W M&P 9mm would be my choice...
    or a Wilson 9mm supergrade if i had the $4,000 to spend. :)

Last edited:

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Some people hate 'em, and some wouldn't carry any other. I would trust my life to one of these. They are not new, but they are the safest, most accurate and dependable pistols that you could ever carry.
    P7PSP_027a.jpg

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth

If you can find an older Gen 3 G19 you should be fine....my Gen 4 (and others) had ejection problems with it sending brass back getting stuck between my face and shooting glasses...not fun.

I have 2 Glock 19 Gen 4's and both have given me zero problems with a variety of ammo. I've read many negative reviews about the Gen 4's before and since I got my two, and the only thing I can guess is that there was a bad batch out there or me and a lot of others, just got lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom