• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I am looking at a new 9 mm. I'm just going to do some plinking home defense and if md ever does cc I'd like the gun for that. I've been looking at glock 17 19 and 26 and Al's the sig p250 and m&p. just was wondering if any bad reviews. Positives and negatives. I'm planning on making my purchase in the next 2 weeks.

JV11B

Sep 8, 2012
    AA County, MD
    I would suggest renting a few at a local range for a test drive.
    I own a Beretta M9(92FS) for my 9mm, which I fell in love with when my first was issued to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    250's arent held in high regard.

I own 3 MP's and like them all. The full size would be better for plinking and home use however it's a bit large to CCW IMHO. I've carried a compact for years without issue.

Same thing for the 17...a bit large to carry...I owned a 19 breifly...dont get a Gen 4. The 26 is a good CCW size however again...not idea for fun range time or home defense if it's your only firearm....IMHO the G19 is the perfect size for everything you need.

If you can find an older Gen 3 G19 you should be fine....my Gen 4 (and others) had ejection problems with it sending brass back getting stuck between my face and shooting glasses...not fun.

Some others to look at would be a XD, Sig 229/226, and a good revolver.

It's probably best to go to a few shops and look around. Try different models in your hands and see what fits best. Once you narrow it down to one or two you can try and rent both at a range and see what fits you best.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    M&P or Glock 19, Even an XD.... you will not be disappointed by any of the three.

I have the M&P Compact and a Glock 19. I have shot an XD as well... Check them out at a range where you could rent them as stated above.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Glock 19 is the most versatile on your list. Sig P229 would be a good option as well, although more expensive. Another good option would be an older Smith and Wesson 59 series 9mm.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have two gen 4 glocks, as well as a few gen 3's. i'd go for a gen 4, i've had no problems at all and really love the improved grip texture.

personally i don't like their subcompacts (g26 size), just too small for me to manipulate the controls easily. if you want to carry concealed, then i'd get g19. otherwise i'd get g 17 or even the g34.

as noted above, recommend you find a range that rents them and give them all a try. sure there are some maryland ranges that do, but blue ridge arsenal in chantilly, va has a pretty good assortment.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    If you look at my tag line (or signature or whatever that is ...)), you will see I agree with most of the posters, tho I truly love my Sig P226.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    you def gotta shoot a few before you drop half a thou on one. but once you do shoot some pistols, you'll be going home with a hi-point. guaranteed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Every Pistol should be a Glock. Every Glock should be 9mm. All 9mm Glocks should be a GLOCK 19.

It is small enough to CCW,, but big enough to FIGHT with.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I own a glock, sig, & M&P

I prefer the glock and m&P over the sig

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    If you look in the holsters of most police officers you will find Glocks. Most Police Officers carry because they have to and are not "gun people" That being said, they work damn near everytime unless you really really screw it up. If you are set on a 9mm I'd look for a used G19.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom