• ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Here's what I try to tell everyone that is in the market for a handgun -

Buy whatever feels good to YOU.
    Buy whatever YOU can shoot well.
    Buy whatever YOU can afford.

Me???
    I make no excuses. I like my Glock(s)!!!
    I also like (no, love) my Colt Gold Cup National Match.
    I like my Beretta 92FS.

Now, with that said, for a handgun that I'm gonna use to protect my life, and my loved ones . . . right now, I carry Glock.

My G19 Gen3 is extremely accurate at 15 yards.
    My G26 Gen4 is very accurate with the same ammo, and that is what I normally carry, when I carry concealed.

Want to know about accuracy????
    This is the FIRST group shot, from my G19 Gen3.
    Ammo: CCI Blazer (aluminum) - 115 gr FMJ
    Number of rounds: 15
    Stance: Standing. Two hands. "Modified" Weaver Stance.
    Distance: 15 yards.
    Note: Since this is the first group fired from this pistol. I ASSUMED that the sights were set-up for a 6 o'Clock hold.
    WRONG!!!! This pistol is set-up for a "Center Hold" (aka/ "Navy Hold".)

I didn't expect to take pics of my shooting, so, I had to use my (old) cellphone to take this pic. Sorry.

FirstGroup-G19-CCIBlazer115FMJ.jpg

This G19 Gen3 is boringly accurate. It will shoot groups like this, as long as the shooter does his part.
    My carry ammo is Federal 124 JHP HST. They shoot exactly the same as the CCI Blazer in my pistol.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    If you're not hung up on mag capacity, you might want to consider the Sig P6 (aka P225). It's a really nice gun for the money ($350-$450). They're made in Germany police trade-ins that have been well maintained. They're accurate and reliable, and the mags are not too pricey. Good luck.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I'll second the Beretta 92. Most rock solid, dependable and accurate 9mm I've ever fired.

But then I don't like polymer framed guns, so a Glock/M&P etc....none of them feel good to me.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Here's what I try to tell everyone that is in the market for a handgun -

Buy whatever feels good to YOU.
    Buy whatever YOU can shoot well.
    Buy whatever YOU can afford.

^^^^^ This.

If you're looking for a 9mm, there are dozens to choose from. Problem is, you like blondes, I like brunettes. Tom likes Asian women, Harry doesn't. No one is right, it's just preference. At the end of the day you have to pick the one that fits you best.

Example? Here's a rundown of the 9mm's I own or have shot...
    Glock 17
    Sig P239
    Sig P229
    S&W M&P
    Beretta 92fs
    CZ75
    Browning HP

Everyone here has a different opinion on which is their favorite. As for me, I can shoot the Beretta 92fs by far the best and most accurately. The Glock is indestructible, the Sigs and BHPs are pretty, the CZ feels best in my hand, but because the bullet goes EXACTLY where I want every time with the 92fs, it's my favorite. The M&P is a close second, but that belongs to a buddy of mine so I don't shoot it nearly as often.

Point is, go to the store and handle each that you're interested in, grab it, aim it, feel which "points" best for you. Ask if you can dry fire it and see how the triggers feel. If in doubt, buy several ;)

Yme

Platinum Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    I have a CZ and Glock 19 and love them both.

I think you should try them out first before purchasing

python

Apr 15, 2010
    If you would consider a classic, all steel gun, the Browning Hi Power is an excellent choice. They're not cheap, but they are sturdy and accurate, and with a single action trigger pull that is fairly easy to master. Good luck.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If you would consider a classic, all steel gun, the Browning Hi Power is an excellent choice. They're not cheap, but they are sturdy and accurate, and with a single action trigger pull that is fairly easy to master. Good luck.

I agree. Shot mine today ... as good as ever.

Celtic159

Nov 27, 2008
    Poolesville
    I'm not a huge fan of 9mm, but I do own two of them; a Sig 226 and a 92FS. Both are dead-nuts accurate and reliable, but the Sig is more comfortable in my hand and generally more fun to shoot. The only real downside to the Sig is the long trigger reset.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    If you would consider a single stack magazine, the the Sig 239 is an excellent gun. Also, a used Sig P6 (P225) is a great. The P6's are imported German police trade-ins. They can be bought for $400-$500. They have been well maintained, and are very accurate. Both guns use eight round magazines. I also like the larger Sigs. I'm own a Kahr PM45 and a Glock 30. They are my last two plastic guns. Both good guns, but I've never been able to warm up to them. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom