• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    My good friend has one. It's great. It handles like an AR and I like most of its feature. It is heavier than most ARs. Personally im not a fan of ACRs or SCARs, I think they're overpriced by hundreds of dollars. The Sig is a cool rifle. Not on my list, but it's definitely cool!

You're friend has a Daewoo or a Sig?

I've never even heard of this Daewood thing.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Daewoo is South Korean mega company like Samsung, etc... Besides making cheap cars for GM, they also make guns. The Ar100 is like some strange step child spawned by an AR15 and a Galil.

That reminds me, have you considered a Galil if you want a different 5.56?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Two questions, are these rifles any good? I was at a gun show today and I saw a few going for $1200 sitting side by side with Bushmaster ACRs going for $2800 and FN SCARS going for $2200 and I've been looking for something different than an AR-15 and that price tag on the Sig made me suddenly very interested in it.

Do they all take AR-15 mags or are there only specific versions that use AR mags?

Second the assault weapons list says 550/551. Am I correct in assuming that despite having a different monicker the 556 series guns are still considered "assault weapons" and therefore subject to the waiting period?

They are nice guns, always had a hankering for one but usuall end up just building another AR. With good maintenance and the benefits of good mags like Pmags and lancers its really hard to beat the simplicity of the basic Stoner spacegun.

Ballista

May 20, 2012
    Severna Park, MD
    {Pending on what your doing.

I like it as a close quarters rifle, but if your going to use it as a field rifle it's not user friendly 200 yards max. The rifle is solid but it takes a toll after 100 rounds spread widens considerably. Course, I'm old so you got that to consider too. Happy hunting

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Daewoo is South Korean mega company like Samsung, etc... Besides making cheap cars for GM, they also make guns. The Ar100 is like some strange step child spawned by an AR15 and a Galil.

That reminds me, have you considered a Galil if you want a different 5.56?

I've heard of the company Daewoo and I knew they made guns I just didn't know any of their rifles were imported to the US.

Can I use standard AR15 mags in a Galil?

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Can I use standard AR15 mags in a Galil?

Only if you get a good magazine adapter, which these days is no simple task. I searched for about a year and finally found an original unmodified Uzi America (UA) adapter for my Galil and I can run any AR mag without problems.

No love for the Daewoo?

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I've had my Sig 556 SWAT Carbine for over a year, maybe 200 rounds through it (yeah, sad, too many other guns); very accurate, and absolutely no issues. The only problem I had was trying to get the bolt carrier back in the gun for the first time after cleaning. lol Had to search youtube to find the trick to get it reinstalled. Once you see how its done, its easy-peezy.
    254.jpg

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I've had my Sig 556 SWAT Carbine for over a year, maybe 200 rounds through it (yeah, sad, too many other guns); very accurate, and absolutely no issues. The only problem I had was trying to get the bolt carrier back in the gun for the first time after cleaning. lol Had to search youtube to find the trick to get it reinstalled. Once you see how its done, its easy-peezy.
    254.jpg

:drool: Beautiful rifle

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    My sig556 is my favorite rifle and my goto gun. Has run flawlessly, easy as an AR to dissassemble and clean and as accurate as most AR's.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    What units/branch(es) are going to adopt it? Just curious and I don't doubt you, it's an excellent platform. I just hadn't heard anyone took it past the T&E stages.

I figured if they announced the Light was going to replace the M16/M4 across the entire military we would have heard something about it lol.

They are being used on the front lines right now in Afganistan. Here's link of them being used by US...pretty awesome.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-photo-section/21313-scars-war-terror.html

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    They are being used on the front lines right now in Afganistan. Here's link of them being used by US...pretty awesome.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-photo-section/21313-scars-war-terror.html

Ah, I see they're being used, but those look like SOCOM type guys to me... I was talking to a SF soldier at the JSOH last weekend (he was WO-2 rank), and he said they tested them extensively but ultimately rejected them. He was at the Weapons Sergeant/18B table so I figured he knew what he was talking about lol. I know he's a sample size of one anad probably had his own biases/opinions on it but it was very cool to get to talk with some real trigger pullers to see what sort of gear they're using, what they like and don't like.

I guess my point is every time we have an article in Army TImes or whatever about soldiers complaining about/praising the M4/M16 platform it's a big deal. Figure you'll have the same mixed reaction when it's replaced. There's always the old fashioned "they don't make it like they used to" attitude VS. the "this is actually a pretty good evolution, we need to embrace it" thing.

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    I've been on the fence a few times about a SIG 556, I've shot them and they are nice, but I have seen alot of negative issues with QC. Overall it would be a good alternative.
    Bud's Police Supply had a basic with green furniture a couple of years ago for $850, shoulda, woulda, coulda...
    Never seen them below a grand since.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Can't think of the model # but Daewoo made a preban rifle that had an AK action and took AR mags. It is a great gun. Hard to find and expensive now.

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    My new Sig 556.
    Originally, I was in the market for 522, but I figure for few hundred more, I got its big brother. It shoots great, and gets dirty fast just like my AR-15. Gas piston or direct gas impingement, I don’t understand all the fuss, they are both great systems I think.

I bought the rifle cash & carry, but I guess it all depends on the FFL on how they want to sell it. The last thing you want to do is try to educate the FFL on which firearms are regulated or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
      IMG_0283.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 100

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    The Sig is my currently issued weapon (it is also full auto). Aside from a great trigger, I think it is junk. Very heavy compared to other cqb weapons, a pain to tear apart compared to an m-4, and adds nothing to the accuracy department. Save the money and buy something battle proven. It's almost like Sig tried to marry an ak and ar together, but failed miserably. Again, just my opinion along with 15 other unhappy customers. We are soon moving back to an ar platform

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    Two questions, are these rifles any good? I was at a gun show today and I saw a few going for $1200 sitting side by side with Bushmaster ACRs going for $2800 and FN SCARS going for $2200 and I've been looking for something different than an AR-15 and that price tag on the Sig made me suddenly very interested in it.

Do they all take AR-15 mags or are there only specific versions that use AR mags?

Second the assault weapons list says 550/551. Am I correct in assuming that despite having a different monicker the 556 series guns are still considered "assault weapons" and therefore subject to the waiting period?

Are the 556 pistols any good, saw it for 1000$ out the door last weekend, someone elaborate

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom