• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Two questions, are these rifles any good? I was at a gun show today and I saw a few going for $1200 sitting side by side with Bushmaster ACRs going for $2800 and FN SCARS going for $2200 and I've been looking for something different than an AR-15 and that price tag on the Sig made me suddenly very interested in it.

Do they all take AR-15 mags or are there only specific versions that use AR mags?

Second the assault weapons list says 550/551. Am I correct in assuming that despite having a different monicker the 556 series guns are still considered "assault weapons" and therefore subject to the waiting period?

blksniper2000

certified lurker
    Jan 31, 2009
    Baltimore/PA area
    I have a sig 556 swat patrol I bought about 2 years ago. My opinion is some people have been happy and some people have been pissed. I haven't really had any issues except a tab on my stock broke and now a part of the stock slides down when firing. I'm gonna contact sig and see if they will fix or replace the piece. I will say they are front heavy, it's not extreme but you will notice. I think I paid 1400 when I bought mine. I think QA is hit or miss at sig right now so I would test one first.

WhiteWhale056

Apr 27, 2012
    chaptico, md
    I've been told there is a decent wait time to order if it isn't in stock. When I had talked to sig Sauer, they had said it takes about 3 months to manufacture one rifle.

But I'm waiting for mine now and slowly paying it off. :smile:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The regulating authority, which in this case is the MSP... Form 4473 and out the door you go.

I almost bought one from The Gun Rack back in 2009 as SIG dropped their prices big time after the election. What turned me off was a lot of FTF and FTE issues that I read about in various forums. SIG seems to have that all worked now.

When researching my SIG716 I came across an interesting video from the Shot Show where a factory rep makes a statement that SIG considers itself a rifle company that also happens to make handguns.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Out of the choices in the OP I'd have picked the SCAR. The ACR is hot garbage, and the SIG is heavy and bulky when you compare it to the AR-15s in that price range. I know SIG had some issues with machining in the older 556 rifles, and I have seen several where the optics rail pops off and has to be sent back to SIG (which takes up to a couple months to get back).

I have only handled a couple ACRs and the one I saw that had problems was really poorly made. Must have been pushed out the door at 4:58 pm on a Friday when the final assembler/QC manager had ducked out early.

The SCAR is a legit weapons system that was developed for the military and has been tested extensively. From what I understand the only reason the SCAR-L/Mk16 wasn't adopted was because once again, it didn't warrant enough improvement over the M4/M16 platform to justify replacing it.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Out of the choices in the OP I'd have picked the SCAR. The ACR is hot garbage, and the SIG is heavy and bulky when you compare it to the AR-15s in that price range. I know SIG had some issues with machining in the older 556 rifles, and I have seen several where the optics rail pops off and has to be sent back to SIG (which takes up to a couple months to get back).

I have only handled a couple ACRs and the one I saw that had problems was really poorly made. Must have been pushed out the door at 4:58 pm on a Friday when the final assembler/QC manager had ducked out early.

The SCAR is a legit weapons system that was developed for the military and has been tested extensively. From what I understand the only reason the SCAR-L/Mk16 wasn't adopted was because once again, it didn't warrant enough improvement over the M4/M16 platform to justify replacing it.

SCAR Light (16s) is also being adopted. It was the primary weapon for testing but they settled on the Heavy (17s) and SSR (sniper). Until recently, there were no plans for using Light but that has since changed.

The whole SCAR family is now in use today. :D

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    SCAR Light (16s) is also being adopted. It was the primary weapon for testing but they settled on the Heavy (17s) and SSR (sniper). Until recently, there were no plans for using Light but that has since changed.

The whole SCAR family is now in use today. :D

What units/branch(es) are going to adopt it? Just curious and I don't doubt you, it's an excellent platform. I just hadn't heard anyone took it past the T&E stages.

I figured if they announced the Light was going to replace the M16/M4 across the entire military we would have heard something about it lol.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The impression I got from the OP was that he was looking for something different that wasn't at the SCAR or ACR price point.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a used Daewoo. The prices for them are not too high, they're much lighter, and they're high quality. You can get the sporterized versions and convert them to the "true" configuration for not a ton of money, too.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Why not an AK 74 piston driven, priced right for an ARSENAL very reliable ammo much cheaper than 5.56/223 right now Yes mags can be an issue but they are out there Replacement parts are easy to come by

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I know you are looking to stray from the AR platform, but for that price you could get a Colt 6920

I technically have 3 ARs I don't "need" another one but I don't need the SIG or the SCAR but at $1200 I was interested but suspicious of the SIG.

Why not an AK 74 piston driven, priced right for an ARSENAL very reliable ammo much cheaper than 5.56/223 right now Yes mags can be an issue but they are out there Replacement parts are easy to come by

Because the good cheap mags for the 75 in 5.45 are becoming scarce. I looked into it a few months ago and it was getting hard enough that I lost interest. Maybe I'm lazy but I don't want to have to work that hard to find good mags.

The impression I got from the OP was that he was looking for something different that wasn't at the SCAR or ACR price point.

If it were me, I'd be looking at a used Daewoo. The prices for them are not too high, they're much lighter, and they're high quality. You can get the sporterized versions and convert them to the "true" configuration for not a ton of money, too.

Kind of sort of. I've pretty much written off all of the rifles in the 2000+ range. In my head it's this kind of circular logic where I say "Oh it'd be nice to have something different than an AR." and then I look at the prices and I say "I could get a really nice AR for at least a few hundred less than that" when I look at the stickers on the SCARs, F2000s, AUGs and the ACRs so I never buy any of them.

So when I saw the SIG for what seems like a reasonable price it went from "don't care" to "somewhat interested" on my radar. If the gun was reliable and cash and carry it would go up to a "must buy." If that makes sense to anyone.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD

+1

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My good friend has one. It's great. It handles like an AR and I like most of its feature. It is heavier than most ARs. Personally im not a fan of ACRs or SCARs, I think they're overpriced by hundreds of dollars. The Sig is a cool rifle. Not on my list, but it's definitely cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom