• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    A 226 seems a bit big for most women's hands... Though my wife likes shooting my* 229 which is only a little smaller.

*Does it still quality as "my" gun after spending 3 years in a womens' underwear drawer?

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, so I finally got my wife into Hafers to look at some pistols and see which ones felt comfortable in her delicate hands.

She found that a Sig 226 felt the best with the next in line a Ruger SR9. She came home and played with my 226, Beretta 9000, 1911, and Bodyguard 380. She still found that the Sig felt the most comfortable and the Beretta the next, although the short grip on the Beretta seemed to make her frown.

Heres where I need help. What other pistols can I have her try that will have a full size grip yet have a shorter barrel. She really doesn't care for the full size frame yet finds the smaller grips on the compacts and subs uncomfortable.

Gimme some suggestions to try.

Jim

May I suggest a good American revolver! Much easier to learn and master, plus it looks like you don't have a revolver in your collection..;)

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    May I suggest a good American revolver! Much easier to learn and master, plus it looks like you don't have a revolver in your collection..;)

A revolver is another option that has not been mentioned before and one that I do not have in my arsenal. I should have taken her to Harrisburg when S&W had all those wheel guns to handle. I know my son found the one he wants!

Attachments

• sports show 019.jpg
      sports show 019.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 130

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    My CZ 75 P-01 is the most comfortable and well ballanced firearm that I have ever handled or shot. It has a full size grip (14 round cap.) and a short barrel but the ergonomics of the design, especially the grips, makes it very effective for small sized hands. I would highly recommend it for a new or timid shooter.

CZ P-01.jpg

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    My wife has been checking out some of the items recommended here and I want to say thank you for your suggestions.

She was pretty comfortable with the Bersa Thunder and was leaning toward one of those until today. She found that a Stoeger Cougar was a perfect fit for her.

I was a little surprised when she said that the Cougar was what she wanted. She said she liked the heavier feel of the gun and that it didn't feel cheap.

Anyone have any experience with the Cougar?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Glock 19, P228, P229, S&W M&P9c w/grip extension (12 round capacity compact yet feels like a fullsized), maybe even a P239

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    Keep the suggestions coming. So far she does not like the finger indentations on some of the glock grips. She tried a couple glocks and just didn't seem happy with the way they sat in her hand.

She definitely needs a fat grip. She has a problem with the first joint of the middle finger on her right hand (arthritis) and can't get it to bend all the way around a narrow grip as found in alot of the single stack guns.

We are going to try a Bersa and see how that does, but the more options to try the better.

Bersa makes the Thunder 380 (single stack 7+1) and the Thunder 380 Plus (double stack 15+1). The latter might work a little better for her.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    double stack thick. Not real long barrel.
    Hmmmmmmm.

Cz82/83 maybe
    If you are willing to go 9x18/.380

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If you can find one try the H&K P2000. It is a tad pricey, but it is worth every penny. It has interchangeable back straps and the barrel is 3.5-4 inches long. One of the better aspects is that it uses the USP Compact mags, so if you have a USP Compact the mags are interchangeable from the USP Compact to the P2000.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Heres where I need help. What other pistols can I have her try that will have a full size grip yet have a shorter barrel. She really doesn't care for the full size frame yet finds the smaller grips on the compacts and subs uncomfortable.

Gimme some suggestions to try.

Jim

It's not "short" as far as the barrel, but it's not too long either.

SIG P225

Other possible choices:

Springfield XD subcompact with the extended mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom