• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Okay, so I finally got my wife into Hafers to look at some pistols and see which ones felt comfortable in her delicate hands.

She found that a Sig 226 felt the best with the next in line a Ruger SR9. She came home and played with my 226, Beretta 9000, 1911, and Bodyguard 380. She still found that the Sig felt the most comfortable and the Beretta the next, although the short grip on the Beretta seemed to make her frown.

Heres where I need help. What other pistols can I have her try that will have a full size grip yet have a shorter barrel. She really doesn't care for the full size frame yet finds the smaller grips on the compacts and subs uncomfortable.

Gimme some suggestions to try.

Jim

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Glock 19 would be a good choice. Skip the 1911, I love it but a light, single action trigger could be unsafe depending on her experience level.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    • Glock G19
    • Glock G36 (thinner gripframe than the G19, but in .45 acp!)
    • Colt Combat Commander (sized pistol). 4-1/4" barrel, 'standard sized' gripframe.
    • Bersa Thunder .380 acp (Less than $300 and an under-rated pistol!!) This is a fairly small pistol, btw.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since she liked the SR9 but didn't like the full length slide, get an SR9c, use full size mags with the slip on grip extender and she should be happy.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I see bersa thunder listed. I got this for my wife for the same reason. The grip area is small and very comfortable for small hands. However ours has broken 2 disconnector springs and ever other range trip it pops out of the slot in discinnector. I know this is a know problem but may not be for you. Other than that its a nice little 380 that handles and shoots well. Its pretty much a PPK clone so I guess a PPK could be a consideration but reviews have stated the bersa has less "snap" and is more fun/comfortable to shoot.

PS the dinconnector deal only seems to happen if there is a jam (in my experience). I had some privi ammo FTF and cause a broken spring and the other times it has popped off the mag wasn't fully seated causing a FTF and the spring to pop out. The mag will lock in place but requires some force to overcome "wont fire without mag" safety device causing me not to have mag fully seated at times.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Keep the suggestions coming. So far she does not like the finger indentations on some of the glock grips. She tried a couple glocks and just didn't seem happy with the way they sat in her hand.

She definitely needs a fat grip. She has a problem with the first joint of the middle finger on her right hand (arthritis) and can't get it to bend all the way around a narrow grip as found in alot of the single stack guns.

We are going to try a Bersa and see how that does, but the more options to try the better.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Okay, so I finally got my wife into Hafers to look at some pistols and see which ones felt comfortable in her delicate hands.

She found that a Sig 226 felt the best with the next in line a Ruger SR9. She came home and played with my 226, Beretta 9000, 1911, and Bodyguard 380. She still found that the Sig felt the most comfortable and the Beretta the next, although the short grip on the Beretta seemed to make her frown.

Heres where I need help. What other pistols can I have her try that will have a full size grip yet have a shorter barrel. She really doesn't care for the full size frame yet finds the smaller grips on the compacts and subs uncomfortable.

Jim

get the finger groove grips and she will absolutely love it...

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Did she try a Walther? My wife, who has small hands liked how the P22 felt, and the P99 will be a good step up in caliber for her later. Then again, my wife doesn't have the finger joint issue you mentioned that your wife has, so that could be a big difference.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009

Jim

CZ-75 in its myriad forms. Always has the BEST ergonomics.

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Try and XD or XDm (not sure if grips are same). I have a XDm 9 its by far the most comfortable grip of any guns I've handled and I have small hands.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If the only thing she didn't like about the Glock was the finger grooves, try a Gen2 Glock. They don't have the finger grooves. A Houge grip sleeve really makes them comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom