• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    There is no such thing as a "female" gun. There may or may not be considerations of hand size or strength. I am a fan of 2in K frames, and consider them a good choice. BUT you friend needs to handle all types, and hopefully shoot the ones she has preliminary interest in. If you are not able to do so in person, see that she gets at least basic instruction.

my wife prefers a full sized semi-auto, the witness by EEA. she weighs 106#, is a 2P in frame and size and likes the big framed guns over the "wimpy" ones (her words).

Ps., pay attention to the bold and underlined caption.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    what gun for wife

MikeC summarized the most critical points. Most women I have taught liked a mid-size revolver better than a J-frame or equivalent because it had better handling and less felt recoil. My wife shoots a S&W 686 better than a model 13, and both better than a model 640.
    S&W out of the box have better triggers than Rugers (and I am a Ruger fan) and that is important if hand/grip strength is a factor. If it is a house gun a 4" barrel is fine.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Thanks for all the great input. I passed along the info, and she has located a local NRA range that provides an intro course for women shooters for $20 per person, and also provides a variety of pistols for the women to try. That's a good intro course to get her started, and a bargain to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom