• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Hi All,

Need your insight - I'm trying to help a female friend in California who wants to buy a handgun. She stopped at a Bass Pro and checked some out, and the sales guy recommended a S&W Model 60 revolver.

I think a .38 or .357 (shooting 38s and then working up to 357s over time) might be the way to go, but am not sure if the S&W Model 60 is the best revolver to recommend - are there others (say a Ruger or something else) that you might choose over the Model 60? I have heard some of the Smiths might have issues, but only shoot a couple of Ruger semis myself, so I don't have any personal experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    ruger gp100. i have one and my wife likes it alot, with 38s any way. shell shoot 357s through it, but she likes the 38s better. more accurate, less recoil, for her anyway.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Remember, in CA, the gun has to be on an approved list that costs the gun's maker big $$ to get the gun on. Each different color or finish also is considered a different gun.

Here is the list: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Additionally, unless the maker pays to keep a gun on the list, the guns are removed after a few years. What is legal today can be removed from the list in two days and be illegal to sell.

As for guns having issues, I was at Gun Connection when a customer brought a Ruger in that had to go back for factory service.

I like the idea of the GP100, I own one and enjoy it. A S&W K or L frame should also fill the bill.

Check the CA appoved list and chat with your friend. Also get her involved with the NRA and get her visiting http//www.calguns.net/ so she learns what is what in her state.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I don't want to sound like I am putting down the Ruger, because I like them as well and my first choice of revolvers in my own collection is a Ruger Super Redhawk. I recomend she compare trigger pulls though. The Smiths generally have a much better out of the box trigger pull, which may be a help with a lady. It's mostly a personal preference, and she should shop around and see what feels the best to her. Your caliber choice is excellent. Starting off with some nice soft 38 swc will get her used to the gun, and when she is ready the 357 is a great round.

terryhimself

Oct 19, 2008
    Bel Air
    The Mod. 60 is a small(J) frame and might not be the best choice unless concealment is to be concidered.
    The S&W K frames (10,64,66) in 357 w/38spl. or 38 spl only revolver should fill the bill.
    See if she can rent one at a range and try it out.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have no idea why people try to associate small frame guns with female shooters. Those guns are not petitely sized for new or small frame shooters. They are concealment guns with hefty recoil. It actually demonstrates a lack of understanding of the gun and shooter. :mad54:

When teaching a shooting class, it has been my experience most beginning female (and male) shooters tend to gravitate towards a medium frame DA revolver. It is light enough to hold up and just heavy enough to be mild with reasonable loads. Also it has a simpler manual of arms and the magnum caliber guns fire shooter friendly Special loads. Large frame guns tend to tire the arms quickly and makes shooting a chore.

A new shooter doesn't know how to handle small frame guns with heavier recoil characteristics. That is the best way to turn them off to shooting. So that rules out the Model 60's, 36's, etc. I'd suggest a K/L frame Smith or a Ruger Six series or GP 100 revolver. Of course, other makes similarly sized will do okay.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    It matters not what the trigger pull is like "out of the box" as they can be fixed without much effort. I have a Ruger Speed-Six 3-incher that is as smooth as silk. The trigger pull can be reduced by installing a Wolff spring kit and the action smoothed out by just dry firing (which also is good practice). People who have seen my guns think they've had professional work done on them when, in fact, they've just been dry snapped.

If you can get a S&W 66 or a Ruger Speed-Six (snubbies), I'd go with either. I have never seen a nicer size to caliber ratio in my life. The GP-100s are just too big, as are the 686s. A Ruger Security-Six with 2.75-inch barrel also is a great buy and you can still get them like new in stainless.

Speed-Six_3.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My wife is partial to the Ruger GP100 with a 4in barrel. She's fired it both with 357 and 38 loads and is comfortable with both. I believe it will be the frist gun she buys for herself :)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The Mod. 60 is a small(J) frame and might not be the best choice unless concealment is to be concidered.
    The S&W K frames (10,64,66) in 357 w/38spl. or 38 spl only revolver should fill the bill.
    See if she can rent one at a range and try it out.

The K frame revolvers are really nice, +1. I miss my model 19 S&W, it had the sweetest damn trigger.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no such thing as a "female" gun. There may or may not be considerations of hand size or strength. I am a fan of 2in K frames, and consider them a good choice. BUT you friend needs to handle all types, and hopefully shoot the ones she has preliminary interest in. If you are not able to do so in person, see that she gets at least basic instruction.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Dumb question, but how big are her hands? I shot a S&W 5 shot 357 mag "Ladysmith" at Horst and McCann a while back....I believe it was a model 60, with nice rosewood grips....I have relatively small hands for a guy, and the gun fit me just fine, was nice and light, concealable and a fun shooter in both 38 and 357.

I know they are marketed toward women, but the damn thing was so much fun and comfortable to shoot I almost bought it right there.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have no idea why people try to associate small frame guns with female shooters. Those guns are not petitely sized for new or small frame shooters. They are concealment guns with hefty recoil. It actually demonstrates a lack of understanding of the gun and shooter. :mad54:

When teaching a shooting class, it has been my experience most beginning female (and male) shooters tend to gravitate towards a medium frame DA revolver. It is light enough to hold up and just heavy enough to be mild with reasonable loads. Also it has a simpler manual of arms and the magnum caliber guns fire shooter friendly Special loads. Large frame guns tend to tire the arms quickly and makes shooting a chore.

A new shooter doesn't know how to handle small frame guns with heavier recoil characteristics. That is the best way to turn them off to shooting. So that rules out the Model 60's, 36's, etc. I'd suggest a K/L frame Smith or a Ruger Six series or GP 100 revolver. Of course, other makes similarly sized will do okay.

Couldn't have said it better. My wife has fired both my Gp-100 and my Sp-101. She can fire more powerful rounds from the larger Gp due to the lessened felt recoil. Yes, it took her some time to get used to it, but it is a better fit in the end. Micro-frames and snubbies are great for concealment, but not pleasent with heavy loads at the range and in my experience this leads to not properly practicing with them.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Great Info

Thanks for all the great info guys! I should have said in the initial post that this isn't a CCW gun, it's for the house. I tossed out the shottie idea to her as well, but she prefers to go the handgun route.

So I'm thinking a 357/38 with a 4" barrel might work pretty well; I saw the earlier recommendation for the Ruger with a 2.75" barrel, what's the recoil/muzzle jump like on that one?

She is going to go to a range and rent a couple, it sounds like Ruger and S&W revolvers with 3-4" barrels is a good place to start, and with 38 spl rounds?

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Remember, in CA, the gun has to be on an approved list that costs the gun's maker big $$ to get the gun on. Each different color or finish also is considered a different gun.

Here is the list: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Additionally, unless the maker pays to keep a gun on the list, the guns are removed after a few years. What is legal today can be removed from the list in two days and be illegal to sell.

As for guns having issues, I was at Gun Connection when a customer brought a Ruger in that had to go back for factory service.

I like the idea of the GP100, I own one and enjoy it. A S&W K or L frame should also fill the bill.

Check the CA appoved list and chat with your friend. Also get her involved with the NRA and get her visiting http//www.calguns.net/ so she learns what is what in her state.

I knew and forgot to mention this to her, thanks Mike for catching that, I'll definitely forward the link to her.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thanks for all the great info guys! I should have said in the initial post that this isn't a CCW gun, it's for the house. I tossed out the shottie idea to her as well, but she prefers to go the handgun route.

So I'm thinking a 357/38 with a 4" barrel might work pretty well; I saw the earlier recommendation for the Ruger with a 2.75" barrel, what's the recoil/muzzle jump like on that one?

She is going to go to a range and rent a couple, it sounds like Ruger and S&W revolvers with 3-4" barrels is a good place to start, and with 38 spl rounds?

The Ruger Gp-100 comes standard with a 4.5" bbl I believe. For my wife's revolver, we started with standard .38spl, worked up through .38+p and tried .357. We found that she was comfortable with .38+p as a "social load", but .357 hurt her hand pretty badly. The Sp-101 with it's 2 5/8" bbl can be pretty stout with .357 mag loads.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The Ruger Gp-100 comes standard with a 4.5" bbl I believe. For my wife's revolver, we started with standard .38spl, worked up through .38+p and tried .357. We found that she was comfortable with .38+p as a "social load", but .357 hurt her hand pretty badly. The Sp-101 with it's 2 5/8" bbl can be pretty stout with .357 mag loads.

Seconded. Definitely manageable, but not light by any means. Still a ton of fun!

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

As I said, a GP100 or S&W K or L frame gun, 4" barrel, loaded with good JHP's will serve anyone here well. I might even go for the old Winchester 158gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow point +P load. If not, then something in the 125gr JHP +P for defense.

For practice, she should find some 148gr lead wad cutter loads. A classic target load that isn't hot at all, little recoil. Then move here to 158gr lead semi wadcutter loads, sometimes called Keith style. These are solid, no hollow point. Once she has those mastered she is ready to hunt small game and move up to heavier .357 magnum loads.

BTW, shooting the .38's in a .357 may require a little extra cleaning, but it is well worth it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As I said, a GP100 or S&W K or L frame gun, 4" barrel, loaded with good JHP's will serve anyone here well. I might even go for the old Winchester 158gr lead semi-wadcutter hollow point +P load. If not, then something in the 125gr JHP +P for defense.

For practice, she should find some 148gr lead wad cutter loads. A classic target load that isn't hot at all, little recoil. Then move here to 158gr lead semi wadcutter loads, sometimes called Keith style. These are solid, no hollow point. Once she has those mastered she is ready to hunt small game and move up to heavier .357 magnum loads.

BTW, shooting the .38's in a .357 may require a little extra cleaning, but it is well worth it.

More darn good advice.

omalon

Aug 9, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Have your friend check with Julie V at

The Outdoorsman of Santa Fe
    530 N Guadalupe St
    Santa Fe, NM 87501
    505-983-3432
    505-989-3838 fax

They have a bunch of used gp100's from $299 to $350 from a security contract that closed down. This looks like a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom