• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    my wife loves to shoot, she is very good with long guns, but struggles alot with handguns. She shoots fine with a .22 handgun (sig mosquito), but when she moves to a 9mm, she has a horrible time with flinching. She says its because of the louder shot and the recoil. She is a small person, only 115lbs, and she wants to try to find a gun that is easier on recoil for her. i know that 9mm isnt a recoil monster, but to her it is. She has taken classes and still has the same problems. Does anyone have some suggestions?. I was thinking a .380. but I'm not sure. I am going to take her to the range to try a couple, but would like suggestions as i have never owned a .380

thanks

Integrity

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Hey Jim. My wife preferred a Glock 17 over a Walther PPK when I had her test fire a bunch of different guns at the range. I think the Glock's larger size absorbed more recoil and made it more comfortable for her to shoot. She's about 5' and 110lbs, so I figured the smaller caliber would suit her, but I was wrong.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Hey Jim. My wife preferred a Glock 17 over a Walther PPK when I had her test fire a bunch of different guns at the range. I think the Glock's larger size absorbed more recoil and made it more comfortable for her to shoot. She's about 5' and 110lbs, so I figured the smaller caliber would suit her, but I was wrong.

I'll give it a shot, i honestly hadnt thought about going larger, thanks!!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    .380 would be worse. Most .380's are small, pocket type guns. They can be punishing to shoot due to their small size and light weight. Have her try a full size 9mm such as a Beretta 92. The larger size and additional weight help absorb the recoil.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To get less absolute recoil with a .380acp , you need to go with a full sized non blowback . Most common would be a Berreta M84/85 .

But as mentioned above unless she has actual physical disability like Carpal Tunnel , or severe arthritis , a *normal* sized 9mm is already modest in recoil w/ std vel loads. Perhaps this should be a Flinching discussion rather than a gun issue.

To deal with the noise ( often the major issue ) try soft plugs and muffs. And 29NRR muffs. And outdoor is much better than indoor.beyond that , work with more / different stances. Everyone has different build / porportions/ muscle tone / etc., and I'm sure at least one should give her solid control over a *normal* ( non- subcompact ) 9mm .

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Hand size and grip make the biggest difference with recoil control. The noise difference will take care of itself with time and practice ... and double-protection with plugs and muff.

I agree that going to a smaller caliber like .380 also results in a smaller grip, but that can be compensated for with products from Hogue or Pachmayr. Also, if she is looking to carry, a hammerless revolver in .38 would offer a 'no snag' safer option ... at least that's my spouse's opinion.

Last edited:

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Try 147gr 9mm ammo. More "push" than "snap". Least recoil in a 9mm try a full size 1911.

eagle-eye78

Aug 30, 2012
    Frederick MD
    To get less absolute recoil with a .380acp , you need to go with a full sized non blowback . Most common would be a Berreta M84/85 .

But as mentioned above unless she has actual physical disability like Carpal Tunnel , or severe arthritis , a *normal* sized 9mm is already modest in recoil w/ std vel loads. Perhaps this should be a Flinching discussion rather than a gun issue.

To deal with the noise ( often the major issue ) try soft plugs and muffs. And 29NRR muffs. And outdoor is much better than indoor.beyond that , work with more / different stances. Everyone has different build / porportions/ muscle tone / etc., and I'm sure at least one should give her solid control over a *normal* ( non- subcompact ) 9mm .
    I own a Beretta M84 cheetah, and becasue of the metal frame it has barely any recoil to it. I got it for the wife, since the 9mm was too much for her. She can handle this gun, although I shoot it way more than she does.... it is just a hoot to shoot!

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    You may also look into better hearing protection.
    Human beings don't like loud noises and with a handgun you are setting of an explosion at arms length away. This noise and flash is one of the main contributors to flinching.
    Once you take away the noise the flinch may well follow. I would look into some good electronic muffs with a low profile so they don't interfere with a long gun stock and some kind of inserts under the muffs. With the volume turned up on the muffs you can still hear range commands but when the gun goes off you are double protected.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Find what works in her hand. My dad is 5' 10", 200 lbs, and his glock 19 hurt to shoot. The way it fit his hand, it would smack the joint on his thumb. I traded my fnp 9 to him, and problem solved. It's all about what fits best.

Also, maybe worth mentioning, see if she'd be willing to try batting gloves, or mechanix m-pact. They have padding, and that little bit of extra traction might help mitigate the feel of recoil sliding it around in her hands. I know that helped me kick my flinching habit, even without the gloves now.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    As others have suggested a government size all steel 9mm, maybe 1911 style.

I have strength (grip) issues in my hands due to injuries and aging - first 9mm I am comfortable with is my STI Spartan V - 5 inch barrel and weights 2 lbs unloaded.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    We have tried a number of things. we both have custom ear plugs and use muffs as well, so thats not really an issue. i think its the anticipation of the shot that gets her the most. I know she does not handle the recoil as well either, she has told me that.

i'll try using 147g round and see how she does. i would really like her to be able to handle the 9mm, but we have been at this for about a year with no apprecable change.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Find what works in her hand. My dad is 5' 10", 200 lbs, and his glock 19 hurt to shoot. The way it fit his hand, it would smack the joint on his thumb. I traded my fnp 9 to him, and problem solved. It's all about what fits best.

Also, maybe worth mentioning, see if she'd be willing to try batting gloves, or mechanix m-pact. They have padding, and that little bit of extra traction might help mitigate the feel of recoil sliding it around in her hands. I know that helped me kick my flinching habit, even without the gloves now.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

she does use a pair of gloves when she shoots. she likes them because they help her grip, but the flinching at the recoil continues..

johnhmpg

Mar 14, 2011
    Start her on a 45acp 1911 then switch to a 9mm 1911 with 147gr ammo. It will feel significantly better for her.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Like others said, go for the heaviest full size 9mm she's comfortable with. Maybe try a Sig P226 since she's already good with the mosquito. You could also try a big heavy .38 revolver.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Perhaps try a steel framed revolver loaded with .38's. Usually the heavy frame soaks up the fairly mild recoil.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    How about a steel framed semi-auto with a threaded barrel and a supressor?

Would shooting at an outdoor range like Hap Baker or AGC reduce the sound?

Does she shoot with plugs and a hard shell earmuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom