Need help identifying these WWII rifles - Part I - Japanese, Type 99, Arisaka?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello.
    This morning, a new friend asked me to check out the rifles his father had brought back from WWII.

Would anyone be able to offer their insight to what they see?

I believe they have both have had the stocks either replaced or made to suit hunting or target shooting.

One rifle is a German K98 (Please see posting Part II - German K98?) and the other is a Japanese Type 99, Arisaka?
    I had to break the posting up into two parts, as the maximum number of pictures to upload is 10.

Specifically, he is looking for:
    1) Identification of caliber
    2) Value
    3) Desirability for a collector.
    4) Anything special or distinct about these relics?
    5) Their application (Sniper, general use, home guard, etc.)

I am attempting to attach pictures to help with identification.

Japanese Type 99 Arisaka? (Please see attached pictures DSC00309-DSC00317):
    All numbers appear to match.
    I did communicate that the chrysanthemum was defaced on purpose, before surrender, so the soldier would retain honor to the empire of Japan.
    And that it is harder to find one that was not defaced (someone please correct me if I'm off here).
    The sights and stock appear to have been replaced with American parts.

Thanks for any information anyone offers.

Sincerely,
    Dean

Attachments

• DSC00309.jpg
      DSC00309.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 271
    • DSC00310.jpg
      DSC00310.jpg
      86.1 KB · Views: 260
    • DSC00311.jpg
      DSC00311.jpg
      115 KB · Views: 292
    • DSC00312.jpg
      DSC00312.jpg
      88.7 KB · Views: 259
    • DSC00313.jpg
      DSC00313.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 359
    • DSC00314.jpg
      DSC00314.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 305
    • DSC00315.jpg
      DSC00315.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 274
    • DSC00316.jpg
      DSC00316.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 259
    • DSC00317.jpg
      DSC00317.jpg
      56.5 KB · Views: 261
    Jul 1, 2012
    That poor Arisaka is totally sporterized and refinished so not much collector value there but it may have some value to a hunter depending on caliber.
    The list of indignities includes sights, bolt handle, stock, etc. and wouldn't be surprised if it was rechambered.
    The mum is "partly defaced" or "lightly ground" which in reality is not a big deal if the rifle was all stock and matching numbers.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    It's a Type 38 Arisaka, originally would have been 6.5mm Japanese. It was made at the Mukden Arsenal (in Japanese occupied Manchuria), and it's known as a "5 million" series. Shame it was so heavily modified, Many Mukden T38s I've seen are quite well made and beautiful guns.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Unfortunately the sights are worth more than the rifle, bubba'd Arisaka's do not bring much money, 150 tops. Would not be a bad iron sighted deer rifle.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yep, it once was a Type 38 chambered in 6.5...not anymore...
    Might be a decent shooter, but no collector value.
    :sad20:

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks guys!
    There were no visible marking to show that the chamber had been changed.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to find out if the chamber was changed...... and if so, what chamber it might be?

Best bet might be to take it to a qualified gunsmith that could do an accurate chamber casting to figure it out. A decent number of bringback Arisakas in their original 6.5x50 Japanese were re-chambered after the War due to ammo availability here in the States to take .257 Roberts cartridges and by slightly enlarging the neck to take a 6.5 bullet (commonly called 6.5x257 Roberts). Other caliber conversions were popular too but a good number of sporters can be found with the Roberts re-chambering

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    As a side note, although these may not have much collector value, your buddy should still appreciate them for what they are - trophies his father brought back that represent our victory in the War. The history behind them is still important. Although collectors frown on the sporters now, after the War these were a dime a dozen and the veterans weren't thinking about what they might be worth 75yrs down the road. They were more interested in practicality so it only made sense to make a useful hunting rifle out of them in order to get some meat on the table.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    For those with scrubbed mums and surrendered, that might otherwise have ended up in Tokyo Bay with the bargeloads of others, sporterizing for practical use is more understandable. But for those taken in battle, with mum intact, it's harder to imagine.

Laddertowr

trigger puller
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 3, 2013
    Question guys... On the trigger guard... what is that comming from the guard up front?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom