• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emma

May 8, 2014
    I own a Glock 17 and have concealed permit in Virginia where I currently live.

I find myself moving rather suddenly and unexpectedly into Montgomery County Maryland. (oh Life, it happens)

I looked on the Maryland State Police website and it says I have 90 days to register it.

I like to double-check things, so is the 90 days accurate information?

What happens if there's a gap in time between leaving Virginia and moving into new home? That is, what if there is hotel time. Is there a legal place to store the Glock iin Maryland?

We were considering a hotel in Virginia if there is a gap period, but working in DC kind of prohibits storing it in the vehicle.

Advice?

USMC 0311

Military Veteran
    May 1, 2014
    Clarksburg, MD
    New Residents

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Welcome to the People's Republik of Maryland! Supreme Comrade Martin welcomes you and your dollars with open arms! Please, for the sake of the glorious children, you must register your weapons of mass destruction!

Emma

May 8, 2014
    New Residents

As part of the Firearms Safety Act of 2013 effective October 1, 2013, a person who moves into Maryland with the intent of becoming a resident shall register all regulated firearms with the Secretary of the Maryland Department of State Police within 90 days after establishing residency.

The new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.

The electronic registration fee will be $15, regardless of the number of firearms registered.

Thank you, nice to see this confirmed.

Do you think the hotel residency will be an issue?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Sorry for your loss :sarcasm: and welcome to the the democratic peoples republik of Maryland. The main ? Was answered above.

Only real advice is can give, if you have the money, buy all the cool items you see yourself wanting in the not so distant future now before moving. Also unfortunately your permit will not mean anything for you while here.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    My advice would be to stay in VA but looks like that isn't possible. I'm always amazed that you drive across an imaginary line between VA to MD and are no longer trusted to conceal carry. Drive back to VA and all is okay again. Seems crazy...probably because it is!
    Best of luck!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL, but living in a hotel IMO isn't being a resident.. You would have no utility bills or property taxes or rent receipts to prove residency.

I would think residency starts when you could produce any of these items.

But IANAL either.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 252

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Also note that MD has restrictions on toting around a pistol in your car:

Home->Gun Shop
    Home->Range
    etc.

You might want to apply to be a MD Designated Collector as there are slight additions to the above

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I just moved from MD to VA. The states are polar opposites when it comes to guns. You are moving from a free state to a police state. The MD laws and regulations are so poorly written and draconian that it will make your head spin. Stay in VA if at all possible.

Emma

May 8, 2014
    Gilbert Inddor Range in Rockville has storage. You probably have to get a membership there to use the storage vault. Call them to find out..

http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/Range.html

I would not put it ina place like Public Storage or something similar. No real security with those facilities IMO

I rented storage for belongings and there's a sign prominently posted about it being illegal to store firearms in the storage.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Since the question has been answered, I'll say only that I'm very sorry for the impending death of your rights. I failed to consider how spectacularly awful this state truly is (2A, taxes, other political issues) before moving here and I can't wait until I get to leave.

As both a future and former VA resident who grew up in real America, believe me when I say that friends don't let friends move to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom