• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapshotmd

Aug 30, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I've got this 870 barrel that's patterning left of the POA. I need to have the barrel bent by a gunsmith. I've tried it myself and it is not easy. The barrel has so much memory that is springs back into place no matter how much I bend it. I've tried several times with practically no change. I'm at the point where I'm applying so much pressure that the wood blocks I'm using are collapsing! I could heat the barrel, but that throws in another level of complexity that I don't want deal with.

How do I know it's the barrel? I've had several shooters shoot it, and I borrowed some else's barrel which patterned perfectly.

I bought the 870 back in 1993 so I doubt Remington is going to do much.

So now I'm looking for a gunsmith that can do this so I could shoot some turkeys come April.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Welcome back to the forum.

What about just moving the front bead or putting on one of the slip on magnetic kind?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    cut it down to 9 inches so there is no bend in it. Then you will have a really tacticool shotgun to show off before you go to jail. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Hey everyone, you may think I'm being a dick but this is my buddy and I can be. :lol2::lol2:

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Buy a new barrel? Probably cheaper than having a smith bend it, and less risky than bending it yourself.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    WTF? Sounds like blacksmithing to me.

Can you shim your stock? Adjust it if you can. Otherwise, buy a new barrel? I have a Benelli that's wood, and it came with a few adjusting shims. I suspect it's one of the only wood "regular" shotguns made that are adjustable by shim like that.

Maybe the aftermarket front sight post you got is crooked? Who knows?

snapshotmd

Aug 30, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    <quote> WTF? Sounds like blacksmithing to me.

Can you shim your stock? Adjust it if you can. Otherwise, buy a new barrel? I have a Benelli that's wood, and it came with a few adjusting shims. I suspect it's one of the only wood "regular" shotguns made that are adjustable by shim like that.

Maybe the aftermarket front sight post you got is crooked? Who knows?<quote>

I've heard from another site that they had a smith bend it for them for like $35. If I were to spend the money on a new barrel, I might as well get another 870.

tdt91 said it might be the bead as well. I doubt it's the bead because it is off a whole bead and a half. This would put the bead on the very edge of the rib.

Don't think it's stock shimming either because another barrel put out a perfect pattern.

I've been on shotgun sites, forums, and talked to people who are all about shotguns and all say to bend the barrel.

Enough with the BS. Do you guys know of a smith that can do this or not???

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I know some peeps with an oxyacetalyn torch if you like. LMFAO

Your unorthodox mechanical approach to finding a solution to your left shooting shotgun really shows who you are, please be careful in the future.

720Deere

Dec 6, 2009
    Maybe you just need a heavier car to run over it? Perhaps a diesel pickup would serve the purpose!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    is the barrel bent to start with? If you take the barrel out of the reciever and spin it, can you see a bow in it in any direction? Does it pattern like this with different loads? Are you certain it's the bead/ barrel and not your cheekweld? Remington is good about fixing defects. I sent in an 1187 with a badly rusted barrel and crack under the front sight post(rifled barrel) and they replaced if free of charge with a brand new barrel. Try contacting them to see if they'll fix it for you. If not, scotts gunsmithing comes fairly highly regarded on here(mostly due to clandestine's ghey contributions). Engage armament has smores working there now and should do some 'smithin for you too. call them both up if you don't hear what you want from remington.

remington-(800) 243-9700
    scotts-http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25970
    engage-http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=41046

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Hello welcome to the forum. I think what you are asking for is not going to be a job many gunsmiths would take for liability reasons. I would suggest three things.

1) Mount a red dot sight to correct the issue. I have used this for my 870 turkey hunting very inexpensive and effective. PM if you want to know details.

2) take the gun to PG trap and skeet or Barts Sports World and get suggestions and help from them to correct. I am sure they have faced this before.

3) ask the people on the shotguns site what smith they used.

Hope this helps

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Is this a choke tubed bbl? If so, it could be a misaligned tube and the manufacturer would fix that.

Is it the stock? Is it eye cross dominence? How much is it off - say at 20yds on paper? If it's a simple & minor fitting issue, an adjusment to the comb would be in order.

snapshotmd

Aug 30, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    Is this a choke tubed bbl? If so, it could be a misaligned tube and the manufacturer would fix that.

Is it the stock? Is it eye cross dominence? How much is it off - say at 20yds on paper? If it's a simple & minor fitting issue, an adjusment to the comb would be in order.

It actually is a misaligned choke. I researched it some more last nite and looked down the end of the barrel, there it was.

I called Remington and I told them about the choke not being centered in barrel. The service rep told me that it is past the 2 year warranty and Remington was not going to replace the barrel or repair it gratis, even though it is clearly a manufacturing defect.

This guy was real unprofessional too. He said that I had 15+ years to find the problem and now I'm SOL. "Business is business, ya know..."

That's great that Remington does NOT stand behind their product. I don't think I'll buy Remington products again, except maybe their shotshells.:innocent0

Sirex