• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    Bart's in Laurel Shopping Center, they do hair cuts, shaves, and beard trimmings. They shave with a straight razor.
    When I was a kid, I used to sweep up the floor there. On pay day, the barbers would send me to the bank to cash their checks. I would go through the drive through on my Schwinn Stingray. The barbers would usually give me a couple of bucks. That was some time in the mid 70s. Good to know the place is still around. The original Bart is probably long gone by now.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    When I was a kid, I used to sweep up the floor there. On pay day, the barbers would send me to the bank to cash their checks. I would go through the drive through on my Schwinn Stingray. The barbers would usually give me a couple of bucks. That was some time in the mid 70s. Good to know the place is still around. The original Bart is probably long gone by now.
    Yeah Old Bart is gone, young Bart has taken over but it looks like he is letting his daughter run the day to day.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Maybe 50 yrs from Carmelo buying it out . but the shop has been there longer than that . Been a barber shop there continuously since the shopping center was built circa 1961 .
    That very well could be, I don't go there, but I've run across a lot of people that have. I see the lady my wife goes to. When she hangs it up, it's Rural King animal hair clippers for me :rolleyes:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    That very well could be, I don't go there, but I've run across a lot of people that have. I see the lady my wife goes to. When she hangs it up, it's Rural King animal hair clippers for me :rolleyes:
    I know a couple of barbers that use dog clippers. They seem to work exceptionally well.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I know a couple of barbers that use dog clippers. They seem to work exceptionally well.
    LOL.. I got a German Shedder at home. I'll test them on the dog first !!

On a more serious note, I'm not expeptionally brilliant by any means, but not dumb enough to shave a German Shepherd.........

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When she hangs it up, it's Rural King animal hair clippers for me :rolleyes:

I've actually tried Horse Clippers . My hair ended up shorter than when I started , but it didn't work near as well as hoped .

Different spacing , blade angles , etc than Human clippers .

Basic human sets starting at under $20 at Wally World , they pay for themselves with first haircut .

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    Years ago I had my wife use the clippers on me to try to save a little time and money. A couple of times during the process she kept dropping F bombs. Then she would say stuff like "sorry I'm trying". Needless to say, I wore a hat for a couple of weeks and we didn't try that again. I've been going to Columbia Barber on Snowden River in Columbia. $10 for a haircut. I just tell them 7 on top, 3 on the sides and they do a pretty decent job for pretty cheap. If you're not one of those fancy lads, you should be alright.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm a #4 all over head . I think I've only had store bought haircuts 2 or 3 times in last 30yrs .

Lmo

Mar 1, 2018
    A little out of the area, but any recommendation for Worcester County [Ocean City] ???

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Usually a #5 here, and I can get most of it. The Missus hates trying to do my neck, so I am happy to pay folks to do it for me.

For only 5 cuts a year, it's worth it to help a Mom & Pop shop.

#4 is borderline to get a good neckline without further attention , and I don't have eyes in back of my head . I Littlefoot44 is handy , I'll call her over for 20 seconds of neckline touchup , otherwise I'll shrug it off . #3 is just short enough ( with my head & my hair texture) that simple mowing decent neckline . And in really hot summer weather , sometimes do a #3 just to get more cooling . ( #2 or less starts to let too much sun in inbetween the hairs , leading to sunburn on parts of head no covered by hat .)

A fresh #5 or even #6 looks fine right when it's done , but needs more frequent re- cutting to keep from getting shaggy . #4 is the sweet spot , of being able to only vaguely each month , with lattitude of anytime during the month , instead of watching the calender for an exact date .

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    The best Barber ever...

"Just a fat woman with orange hair.. Oh it's tragic"

USCG_Dave

Aug 14, 2022
    Abingdon
    After twenty plus years, my barber is moving. I’m at a huge loss. It’s been so easy to just go in sit down and just drone on about whatever, don’t even have to tell him how I want my haircut. Been doing it the same way that whole time.

I'm looking for a real barber, not some stupid Sports Clips type place. Someone who knows how to use a straight razor. Apparently that is a lost art. I live in Elkridge, so something someone close to that. I get a haircut every two weeks, so I don’t want to drive an hour for a cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    So since this tread sorta for high jacked about animal clippers, old barber shops, what people use on their heads. I’d like to know if you’ve actual found a real barber that knows how to use clippers and straight razor? I just moved up north of Baltimore n need a new barber myself.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    So since this tread sorta for high jacked about animal clippers, old barber shops, what people use on their heads. I’d like to know if you’ve actual found a real barber that knows how to use clippers and straight razor? I just moved up north of Baltimore n need a new barber myself.

hahaha. Yeah it took off. I’ve been happy with the Elkridge Barber next to the library on route one. I used to walk out the door of my old barber for $20 with a tip, there it’s $30. I’m happy with it, plus it’s convenient for me. The couple there seems old though. I’ve got a six year exit strategy, hopefully they will be around that long.

USCG_Dave

Aug 14, 2022
    Abingdon
    hahaha. Yeah it took off. I’ve been happy with the Elkridge Barber next to the library on route one. I used to walk out the door of my old barber for $20 with a tip, there it’s $30. I’m happy with it, plus it’s convenient for me. The couple there seems old though. I’ve got a six year exit strategy, hopefully they will be around that long.
    Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom