• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    After twenty plus years, my barber is moving. I’m at a huge loss. It’s been so easy to just go in sit down and just drone on about whatever, don’t even have to tell him how I want my haircut. Been doing it the same way that whole time.

I'm looking for a real barber, not some stupid Sports Clips type place. Someone who knows how to use a straight razor. Apparently that is a lost art. I live in Elkridge, so something someone close to that. I get a haircut every two weeks, so I don’t want to drive an hour for a cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Can't help you there, there don't seem to by many old school barbers left. I started cutting my own hair when the place I was going was closed for covid. I didn't get anything fancy anyway, just a short clipper cut using a couple different guard lengths so it wasn't hard to learn to do it myself. I think it comes out as good or better than any barber i have gone to. I often would find long pieces that got missed after leaving, that doesnt happen when I cut it myself. Also got to quit paying over 20 dollars for a haircut in exchange for a one time cost of 40 dollars for a nice wahl clipper set on sale at Costco.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Can't help OP due to distance, but anyone in the Westminster area, I highly recommend "Barbering by Jeannie" I've been going to her pretty much exclusively for years (previously was at another shop). Both Jeannie and her husband Robert do fantastic hair cuts. I don't get shaves, but they are on the list of services and she trims the back of my neck with a straight razor, so I imagine that would be used for a full shave.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Can't help you there, there don't seem to by many old school barbers left. I started cutting my own hair when the place I was going was closed for covid. I didn't get anything fancy anyway, just a short clipper cut using a couple different guard lengths so it wasn't hard to learn to do it myself. I think it comes out as good or better than any barber i have gone to. I often would find long pieces that got missed after leaving, that doesnt happen when I cut it myself. Also got to quit paying over 20 dollars for a haircut in exchange for a one time cost of 40 dollars for a nice wahl clipper set on sale at Costco.
    Yep. Been cutting my own hair since the onset of the COVID pandemic. My electric clippers have paid for themselves at least 30 times over. Will probably never, ever go back to a barber, unless I want to grow my hair back out. i don’t ever see that happening ever again.

There’s a barber shop on MD175 right across from Fort Meade. I think it was called “Your Barber Shop” that I went to exclusively before the Pandemic. They did razor cuts but watch out for the short Filipino with the mustache, he cut me once doing the razor finish.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've been cutting my own hair for a long time. I think it's down to costing me about .40 per haircut now.(that'll go up when I replce those clippers later on thos year probably) I do 90% myself and my dayghter cleans up the back and the stray hairs that I miss. I got tired of going to get a haircut and then 2 days later it looked like I needed a haircut.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Yep. Been cutting my own hair since the onset of the COVID pandemic. My electric clippers have paid for themselves over 30 times over. Will probably never, ever go back to a barber, unless I want to grow my hair back out. i don’t ever see that happening ever again.
    I will definitely never go back.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Odenton Barbershop - You can't go wrong with either Scott or Mick

The barber shop has tanning beds, and a weight room?

I guess that's the way of the world now.

A true dinosaur barber shop is the Italian barbers in Seabrook. Hopefully they are still open. Nino, Tino, Val, John, and a few others. 100% old school.

I am TRULY the walking dead, please book me a flight to Le Brea, one way.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Yep. Been cutting my own hair since the onset of the COVID pandemic. My electric clippers have paid for themselves at least 30 times over. Will probably never, ever go back to a barber, unless I want to grow my hair back out. i don’t ever see that happening ever again.

There’s a barber shop on MD175 right across from Fort Meade. I think it was called “Your Barber Shop” that I went to exclusively before the Pandemic. They did razor cuts but watch out for the short Filipino with the mustache, he cut me once doing the razor finish.
    yep clippers, DIY.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I went to Floyds one time in Crofton, the girl pulled a vibrator out of a drawer and rubbed it on my neck . I sure hope she rubbed it down with alcohol first.
    I never went back had to wait in the chair till my chubby disappeared.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Can't help OP due to distance, but anyone in the Westminster area, I highly recommend "Barbering by Jeannie" I've been going to her pretty much exclusively for years (previously was at another shop). Both Jeannie and her husband Robert do fantastic hair cuts. I don't get shaves, but they are on the list of services and she trims the back of my neck with a straight razor, so I imagine that would be used for a full shave.

Jeannie has been my regular barber for at least ten years. I don't have to tell her how I want my cut and she knows how to use a straight razor. Highly recommend her!

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Jeannie has been my regular barber for at least ten years. I don't have to tell her how I want my cut and she knows how to use a straight razor. Highly recommend her!

Thank you gentlemen.

I've passed that 'dump' many, many times, and have never seen signs of life, and just presumed it was a vacant building.

Didn't know it was a going concern.

I will have to suss it out.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

A true dinosaur barber shop is the Italian barbers in Seabrook. Hopefully they are still open. Nino, Tino, Val, John, and a few others. 100% old school.

My Italian Barbers like the rest of the Brooklyn and South Baltimore of my youth died over 25 years ago. No better barbers than Tony, Vito, Gino and Dan.

Mick and Scott are 100% old school and all the military, police and fire haircuts would confirm.
    Sometimes, I'm tempted to request a high and tight with white walls like my green baggy suit days.

As for the tanning and weights, don't use them but they got to do what they do to make their bank.

As long as I don’t have to offer my services to be someone's huckleberry, I just take my normal chair and say, "Proceed sir".

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Police Gazette on the rack? Barber plays mandolin while waiting for customers?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg

Flobee approves

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom