• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Will there be any negative repercussion for the OP's cousin from a competitive point of view (i.e. sanctions, disqualifications)? Not sure how this works in a competitive setting, but it does sound like a freak accident and not something he should be blamed for. Glad nobody was injured.

The penalty is Match DQ. Things happen at matches, he had the gun pointed in the right direction, he took it like a true Sportsman. Watch the video close, he stopped himself because he knew what he did. He will be welcomed back without hesitation.
    There are 2 types of shooters, those that have DQ'd and those that will.

From the FNH Rules
    2.4 A participant who causes an accidental discharge will be stopped by an Event Official as soon as possible, and shall be disqualified. Examples of accidental discharge include:
    2.4.3 A shot which occurs while loading, reloading or unloading any firearm.

Last edited:

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    It was a DQ for the day. George is a top notch guy and a sponsored shooter, he stayed and worked the rest of the match with a smile. There are multiple practices in place to keep scenarios like this as safe as possible. There is a 180* rule that keeps the loaded firearm downrange at all times (DQ offense) along with a "discharge" has to impact a berm, and be in the general vicinity of a target(DQ offense). They make "running with scissors" as safe as it can be.....

May 16, 2012
    Dang, scary freak occurence, and an end to the day's shooting. Definitely emphasizes the redundancy of the 4 rules and why it's important to follow all of them all the time. Stuff happens, and if you're following them, bad stuff doesn't follow.

Certainly an argument to be made about taking that extra half second and flipping on the safety if you're topping up a hot gun.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Autoload shotgun, carried with left hand around grip upside down horizontal, pointing toward next stage area as walking toward it. Left thumb across underside of gun 1 1/2 2 in. behind trigger guard. 4 or 5 shells in right hand to load, looks like shell popped out of sweaty hands.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Would he mind if I saved this video for instruction purposes? Name and other identifying data will not be shared.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Hey guys it was me. I will try to load the 2 videos to YouTube and then attach them tonight here. Lot of questions so I'll try to answer them all. Yes AD as a loose shell hit the trigger (I was shocked when it happened). Turning safety on and off while you're on the clock won't happen unless you don't care about your time but we compete for a reason if not we would all fire 1 round at a time to control all factors. Disqualifications happen all the time at matches and there is one 1 that I know of that could have gone wrong and 1 that was an accident that resulted in a frag injury requiring medical attention. Shooters have a great ration of being safe vs AD/ND DQ's. Hope I didn't miss anything. The description posted about how it happened is dead on correct. I went to do a quad load, fumbled third load of 2 which caused a shell to get loose and find its way into trigger guard. I should have bought Lottery tickets that afternoon.
    George

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I just texted Gearge. I expect his reply here shortly on your request
    Much appreciated. Very much a teachable moment.

It's that .000004% chance of something like that happening that we always keep the gun pointed in safe direction.

His poise and control under the circumstance is excellent.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Reminds me of a famous "AD" a couple of years ago at the Rockcastle 3-gun. A really well known pro was reloading his shotgun on a stage when he noticed that the last target he hit launched a flyer (clay), so without breaking his stride he pointed the shotgun at the bird and hit the trigger taking it out with the shotgun still in the position he was reloading it in. He finished the stage and then they had to figure out what happened according to the rules. At the time I understand there was no actual rule covering shots made while reloading. And since he hit the target they couldn't actually call it an accidental discharge because he hit an active target. If he had missed they would have called it an AD but since he hit it they decided to change the rules to say that a target may not be engaged while reloading. True story.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks George. Hope the video get posted here so other's can see. It was a freak accident that took a slo-mo review of the video to even see how it happened. It would be a great video to reinforce one of the cardinal rules of firearm safety.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Sorry guys I forgot to post it last night as I had a lot going on with taking one daughter to drivers ed. and my other daughter to soccer. I'll post it tomorrow with a youtube link when I get off work in the morning.

There was a question about reposting the video for training/safety purposes which I have no problem with.
    George

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Sorry guys I forgot to post it last night as I had a lot going on with taking one daughter to drivers ed. and my other daughter to soccer. I'll post it tomorrow with a youtube link when I get off work in the morning.

There was a question about reposting the video for training/safety purposes which I have no problem with.
    George
    Thanks so much!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I don't understand the issue of putting the safety on when not on target and made the conscious decision to fire.

competitions are won and lost in fractions of seconds. for the super rare occasion of something like this happening, the time cost isn't worth it. as noted earlier, with muzzle pointed downrange, in the rare instance this does happen, everyone is safe.

frankly with the safety so close to the trigger, it's probably a higher chance of accidentally hitting the trigger while safeing on/off than with a stray shell.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It doesn't have to be a separate task that needs to be completed before continuing just part of the process. I think it can trained to be automatic that there is no time lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom