• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed4341

Jun 14, 2016
    Hi, I live in NC and hold a concealed carry permit that has reciprocity in many states that I travel to except for Maryland. I travel to MD 2-3 times per year to visit my wife's family who live in Taneytown in Carroll County. I have a few questions regarding traveling into MD with a pistol that I hope you all can help me with.

1. What is the legality of me traveling into MD with a semi-auto pistol or revolver? From the research I've done what I should do is, stop in West Virginia, just before crossing the border in MD, and unload my pistol and place the magazine and pistol in separate locked boxes and place them in the trunk of the car. If I am correct in my interpretation of MD laws, would I be able to place the unloaded pistol in a small safe and the magazine in a lockable pistol case and place both in the trunk of the car? Also, should I unload the magazines as well?

2. What is the likelihood of me obtaining a non-resident carry permit since I am already a CCW permit holder in NC (which has reciprocity with 39 other states)?

If neither of these are viable options, is there any way that I may transport my firearm through MD?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    2. What is the likelihood of me obtaining a non-resident carry permit since I am already a CCW permit holder in NC (which has reciprocity with 39 other states)?

Zero chance. Seriously.

MD residents cannot get carry permits except for a few special circumstances that require a lengthy review/interview process by the state police. The average MD resident is more likely to find a unicorn than successfully apply for and receive a carry permit.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    What about question 1?

Are you aware of any states that do carry reciprocity in Maryland? Perhaps I could get a non resident CCW from one of those, if they exist.

Maryland does not recognize any other state's carry permit.

You can try your luck transporting through the state under Federal rules. I'll let others speak to transporting to and storage at a destination in the state.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    MD doesn't reciprocate out-of-state carry permits.

I'll let other folks respond in detail to question #1. But, in general, yes, the handgun must be stored unloaded in the vehicle's trunk before you cross the state line into MD. The "safe passage" provision of FOPA applies.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    #1, as you described it, is perfectly legal. Research FOPA, which allows you to transport between residences in different states. Legally, anywhere you stay overnight is treated like your house. Youre allowed to transport that way to your in-laws. If you were to establish permanent residence or bring a banned gun it might be different.

#2 is not going to happen.

Speed4341

Jun 14, 2016
    #1, as you described it, is perfectly legal. Research FOPA, which allows you to transport between residences in different states. Legally, anywhere you stay overnight is treated like your house. Youre allowed to transport that way to your in-laws. If you were to establish permanent residence or bring a banned gun it might be different.

#2 is not going to happen.

Thank you for the clarification! What guns (generally are banned in Maryland) Im not trying to travel with my AR's or AK47; just a semi-auto pistol or a revolver.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    So if I were to be pulled over and I had the firearms locked in a safe in the truck with magazines in a separate locked box, as long as I am going to a shooting range, I should be legal correct?

You would be covered under FOPA "safe passage". MD "shooting range" language is overridden by FOPA unless you're already staying someplace and just out and about.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thank you for the clarification! What guns (generally are banned in Maryland) Im not trying to travel with my AR's or AK47; just a semi-auto pistol or a revolver.

Banned guns would be AR's without heavy barrels or AK rifles, and a bunch of others. Nearly all handguns are fine. You can bring regular magazines with higher than 10 round capacity, but you buy or sell them within the state.

Banned can be overcome if you're moving into the state and owned it prior to October 2013, when our laws changed.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Only banned handguns are certain "assault pistols". Most normal handguns are fine.

Does not have to be in a locked box, in a case in trunk unloaded with ammo separate is good enough. Magazines don't have to be unloaded, but do have to be out of gun.

Now once you are here, it is illegal to ride around with a handgun (even unloaded in trunk) unless you are taking it to a range, or to a gunsmith or certain other legal destinations. Once you get here, take it inside until you go back home (unless your are going to the range with it)

Speed4341

Jun 14, 2016
    One more question. So I should also be covered under FOPA if traveling with a non-banned rifle correct? Are 10/22 take-downs legal in MD?

Speed4341

Jun 14, 2016
    Only banned handguns are certain "assault pistols". Most normal handguns are fine.

Does not have to be in a locked box, in a case in trunk unloaded with ammo separate is good enough. Magazines don't have to be unloaded, but do have to be out of gun.

Now once you are here, it is illegal to ride around with a handgun (even unloaded in trunk) unless you are taking it to a range, or to a gunsmith or certain other legal destinations. Once you get here, take it inside until you go back home (unless your are going to the range with it)

Thank you!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If you want a MD nonresident carry permit, you need to buy a maryland business that qualifies you for it. Or find someone to issue a very specific death threat against you in a way that makes it into a police report.

Other than that, no reasonable prospect. FOPA from the stateline to your kids place in MD. Until you leave the state, it's only to locations like gun stores or ranges.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you owned an AR-15 before 10-1-13, you can bring it into the state. If you decide to establish residency (yuck) you need to register it with the Maryland State Police within 90 days after establishing said residency.

If you owned it after 10-1-13, it's banned.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Just need to become a Maryland business owner. And you'll most likely get a permit with restrictions.

As for non business owner. You'll have better luck hitting the lotto.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As to your #1 , transport using FOPA protocols to your temporary residence aka relative's house. Remove handguns from your vehicle to the house for storage during your time in Md. Leaving the house with them requires it to be only to take to a specific Aproved Destinstion. Think shooting range, gunsmith, hunting, etc. You may NOT have the handgun(s) with you ( including the proverbial unloaded encased in trunk) if you are sight seeing, visiting friends who don't have a shooting range at their home, going out to dinner, going about regular life.

Non Residents are treated equally with residents. You can apply for a " Wear & Carry Permit " on an equal basis as residents. Equally as in not happening for us either, unless you fsll into specific catagories, mostly relating to business owners, or armed security type employment. But even if you were one of those, the restrictions would limit you either while on the clock, or engaging in bussines related activities, not visiting, sight seeing, or everyday life.

However, non banned, non SBR rifles ( and shotguns) do NOT require a specific Aproved Destination. State law only requires they be unloaded in vehicles. Certain local jurisdictions have grandfathered requirements to be in a case.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    If you do get a permit for business you will still most likely run into problems since most police in this state never see permits. Even more so out of state permit holders.

Odds of getting in trouble are high. Even if within the law. Maryland sucks. I recommend you move the family to America.

Speed4341

Jun 14, 2016
    As to your #1 , transport using FOPA protocols to your temporary residence aka relative's house. Remove handguns from your vehicle to the house for storage during your time in Md. Leaving the house with them requires it to be only to take to a specific Aproved Destinstion. Think shooting range, gunsmith, hunting, etc. You may NOT have the handgun(s) with you ( including the proverbial unloaded encased in trunk) if you are sight seeing, visiting friends who don't have a shooting range at their home, going out to dinner, going about regular life.

Non Residents are treated equally with residents. You can apply for a " Wear & Carry Permit " on an equal basis as residents. Equally as in not happening for us either, unless you fsll into specific catagories, mostly relating to business owners, or armed security type employment. But even if you were one of those, the restrictions would limit you either while on the clock, or engaging in bussines related activities, not visiting, sight seeing, or everyday life.

However, non banned, non SBR rifles ( and shotguns) do NOT require a specific Aproved Destination. State law only requires they be unloaded in vehicles. Certain local jurisdictions have grandfathered requirements to be in a case.

So leave the pistol at the in-laws house once I arrive, but I may travel with my 10/22 take-down in its case while "sightseeing"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom