• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    If it's not illegal I don't consider it cheating. That said, I like to hunt mostly old school - other than using a compound bow and camo clothing, I don't use trail cams, deer feeders, don't put food out, don't hunt from a tree stand. I like to still-hunt on the ground, and I don't want to know where the deer have been traveling via pics - I like to figure it out when I'm on the ground and moving through the woods.

Just my preference, how I like to do things. No issue with others doing it differently.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Fact: there are deer on my property, there is even at least 1 buck who made a scrape and a rub right on the deer trail that I have been attracted to. I already knew it was a "deery" spot. I dragged a 50 pound salt block back there and dammit I want to see how many deer and what sorts of deer I have. I want to know what times they come around. Oh yeah I guess luring and baiting is cheating too, and so are tree stands since they get you up where deer may not smell you, and deer sometimes don't look up either. Hunting from blinds is cheating. Using anything other than bare hands to kill a deer is cheating too.

Game cams are good for seeing how many coon traps you need based on # of raccoons on your corn pile, and if you have a chupacabra or snallygaster.

lol - it is all "cheating". Some people advocate that a person should hunt with their hands, and hands only. I using high powered rifles with magnifying scopes cheating? How about scouting with binoculars? Is using a compound bow versus a traditional bow cheating? What about a crossbow?

If it isn't illegal, have at it. The vast majority of hunters do just that. Reminds me of a lecture a judge gave to my client about spot lighting. It was her opinion that most hunters frown on spot lighting because it is unethical for the deer. Felt like telling her that the minute spot lighting deer became legal, she would see lights at night all over the Frederick hillside followed by gun fire, which would be entirely legal, and that everybody doing it would be hunters, but I bit my tongue.

Is using electronic calls and unplugged guns for snow geese, a problem species, cheating? We can go on and on about this.

Now, if we want to talk about "fair chase" and putting up some rules there, I guess we can discuss that too.

To me, fair is what is legal by law, and if pursuing a trophy then what is allowed by rule by the trophy association.

In Howard Co I think the deer are (relatively) tame. Ive had them within feet. I got a 6 pt on video so close I could have grabbed the antlers.

Bare hands might not be as hard as you think around here.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    If it's not illegal I don't consider it cheating. That said, I like to hunt mostly old school - other than using a compound bow and camo clothing, I don't use trail cams, deer feeders, don't put food out, don't hunt from a tree stand. I like to still-hunt on the ground, and I don't want to know where the deer have been traveling via pics - I like to figure it out when I'm on the ground and moving through the woods.

Just my preference, how I like to do things. No issue with others doing it differently.

This is how my family and I always hunted but with rifles, not with bows. I've tried the QDM hunts on the Eastern Shore where you're parked in a tree stand all day and told "don't move". I'm not doing that again.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If we lived in the woods and were able to observe the trails on a daily or almost daily basis for more than a few minutes, I might concede the point that trail cams are "cheating."

But we work 40+ hours a week! typically a good distance from where we hunt. We aren't hunting on land that we "know" on a daily basis like those who are able to develop those natural skills. Those "natural" skills are not instinctive. They take a great amount of time to develop and hone. The true trackers take years (decades?) to hone and perfect their craft doing it on a weekly if not daily basis.

So no, I don't feel that it's cheating at all.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    I don't think you can qualify it as cheating.

I think as is touched on previously in this thread there is a hunt and then there is a stalk. Both are very different and have very different objectives. Some hunters do so merely to put food on their table and don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks about it because its not a game to them. Its feeding their family.

To tagline this thought, many pay for a hunting lease on land. You had better bet your ass that they are going to maximize their expense in deer taken and I don't blame them again, its not just about a trophy but providing for a family. Many stock their freezer for the year during deer season.

To others a stalk is all about sportsmanship and the thrill of the hunt. I get this totally. Its like paintball or airsoft where you are stalking your prey and making calculated moves to attempt to get a chance at your game. This type of hunting is for the enjoyment. I think if you hunt for enjoyment is where you might speak of "cheating if you will" However using trail cams and stalking a herd doesn't mean you watch the same herd come through every night at 6pm to bed down and lay in wait.

A trail cam can let you know that it is an active area and that a predatory stalk is practical and productive. It sucks to stalk the woods for hours to days to see or hear NOTHING. Hunting is what you make of it. Whether it is for the sport or to meat on the table, within the bounds of the law you can set the bar to your own skill level.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Deer pix are like any other deer sign. They don't tell you where they are , nor where they're going to be. They only tell you where they were.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

I hope your not on public land still/stalk hunting. To many nut balls out there that will shoot at any movement. I heard through the grape vine that an old work buddy shot his friend at ft. Meade a few years ago as he was walking towards him. I have talked to him a couple times since then about hunting stuff but he ain't said anything about it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I hear some states ban game cameras...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have to amend my previous posting - I have used game cameras before, but not for hunting. To get photographic proof of which teamster was speeding by the radar traps on the facility during working hours - as requested by management.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I don't use them, but I don't fault anyone who does. Just a different type of intel. I prefer to walk the woods and look for scapes, rubs, etc... more fun in my opinion.

Now if you mount a gun to the trail camera, and kill a deer in TX over the internet... that's cheating.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In Howard Co I think the deer are (relatively) tame. Ive had them within feet. I got a 6 pt on video so close I could have grabbed the antlers.

Bare hands might not be as hard as you think around here.

Try that in an area where they're hunted.....

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I hope your not on public land still/stalk hunting. To many nut balls out there that will shoot at any movement. I heard through the grape vine that an old work buddy shot his friend at ft. Meade a few years ago as he was walking towards him. I have talked to him a couple times since then about hunting stuff but he ain't said anything about it.

VERY good point. I hunt on land that is partially my buddy's land and partially public land, but if you don't live in the area you would have to walk a couple of miles to access the land. The only time I see hunters is 1-2 during rifle season.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    a post from the other forum:sad20:

I can name a few. 1. deer drives. Takes no woodsmanship just more than one person. 2. Hunting over bait. Legal and used in many states by many hunters. Some of whom probably think cameras are an unfair advantage. 3. Hunting a field. Just sit and wait for the deer to come out in the evening. Zero woodsmanship needed.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I think it is all part of hunting. Cameras make it is exciting to see the animals that are on your property especially when you cannot be there, like at night. Thats what gets the buck fever going. It's like doing your homework. Then you use your hunting skills to go get'em.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom