• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    I will be attending a wedding "expo" on Saturday, then a housewarming party on Sunday :sad20:. The fiance will owe me big after this weekend...

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I will be teaching there at the show this weekend (actually next door at the Holiday Inn). My company conducts the official firearms training/safety classes for the show. Its always a good time and a great show to attend.

If anyone is in need of a firearms safety class to apply for a Virginia or Florida permit, we still have some seats available on Saturday and Sunday. You can visit our website for details.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    got this email from Lou (the owner) of Shooters Discount today::)

. Why drive all the way to Chantilly and pay admission when you can't purchase a regulated firearm when you can drive to Shooters Discount in Mt Airy and get a sweet deal on regulated firearms SALE this week through Saturday. The guns are priced at our super discount sale pricing and the mdshooters members that mention this SALE on this site will receive an additional $10.00 off their FIREARM purchase THIS WEEK ONLY, April 21 through April 24.
    Lou

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I will be attending a wedding "expo" on Saturday, then a housewarming party on Sunday :sad20:. The fiance will owe me big after this weekend...

If you don't get a "golf ball through a garden hose" snarlin' gnarlin' for that effort then you need to execute "MDS Rule K31":D

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    My dad (VA resident) and I are planning to go Saturday for our first show. Not looking for anything in particular except a holster, but if there is a MD FFL there, I might be inclined to buy some of the stuff I've been waiting on.

Jay

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    got this email from Lou (the owner) of Shooters Discount today::)

. Why drive all the way to Chantilly and pay admission when you can't purchase a regulated firearm when you can drive to Shooters Discount in Mt Airy and get a sweet deal on regulated firearms SALE this week through Saturday. The guns are priced at our super discount sale pricing and the mdshooters members that mention this SALE on this site will receive an additional $10.00 off their FIREARM purchase THIS WEEK ONLY, April 21 through April 24.
    Lou

Except he cant offer me what i goto the chantilly show for, mags over 20 rds. Also, BBQ (But thats not at the gunshow.) Theres also a bunch of things he doesnt carry. Also, i have bought regulated firearms at the chantilly show from dealers willing to ship to MD.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    LOL I hear you on that. Normally she doesn't mind coming with me to the gun shows, but we have to get this wedding planning shit going.

You have to setup a wedding registry gift list don't you? Thats part of planning, who says you can't do that at a gun show?

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    This gun show was awesome; by far the biggest one I've ever been to. I had a huge list of at least a dozen things I wanted to pick up, and I got about 75% of them for cheaper than Internet price (with shipping). One dealer was selling .308 Federal GMM for $24 a box! That's cheaper than Internet price!

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Quick Report

Overall quieter than last year at the same time but still brisk. The difference now is that prices are more reasonable and the "fury" of the sales is lessened. Still lots of business taking place, though. Especially in handguns and evil black rifles. But not so much that prices are being driven up. I think we're at "equilibrium" for now.

I picked up mags in multiple calibers for multiple guns. Prices were pretty good across the board.

New-style (latest rev) PMags were only $12 if you bought 10 from "Denns A Todd". Even one at a time they were $14 - cheaper than most places online. Windowed Pmags were a bit more but I don't need them. Thanks to Slimjim for telling me to go to this vendor.

Good prices for the other mags I needed from various vendors. 30 round C-Products 7.62x39 were $20 each. Same for various Glock mags. The exception was PS90 50 round mags -- you can get factory FN versions for about $30 online and they were $40 at SSG Tactical. I went for a different brand at $10 less; they seem identical. We'll see how they perform (I plan on ordering more online anyway). But these PS90 mags are kinda rare anyway, so I was happy to see anyone selling them at all.

And as far as SSG Tactical goes, they are good people. I bought a rifle from Doug in the past.

Good prices on ammo - comparable to the Internet once you factor shipping. The convenience is worth the extra $5-10 you pay at the show.

Most prevalent in the ammo realm was PMC Bronze and American eagle/Federal. Some Winchester and Remington. Lots of Russian stuff (Tula and Wolf).

They were not sold out when I left, but I wouldn't wait all day if you plan on buying any.

Primers seemed in abundance, although I am not a reloader. I just thought I'd give a quick peek so I could report back here to you all. One vendor had a restriction on purchases to those who also bought "something else". He likewise prevented the sale of more than 1000 to a family. He also looked grumpy and acted like an ass with customers (I was just there a few minutes, though). So yeah..."that guy" was found.

I saw at least two vendors selling reloading supplies and am not sure what policies the others had in place.

Trader Vics had a ton of handguns to fondle, including the new Gen 4 Glocks. It seems nobody has the Gen 4 subcompacts yet, though. As usual, I did not take time from VA customers with questions -- it's impolite given I cannot buy a damn thing from them. Their time is better spent selling to able customers. I waited until right before show close to ask a questions or two.

Overall it seems a much better environment than the same time last year. I think supply is generally meeting demand. The hoarders are out of cash; the speculators are back playing stocks instead of firearms. All the vendors -- with the exception of the primer dude -- seemed to be in a real good mood and happy to do business.

The crowd mix was about what you'd want: mostly "gun people" with a larger than normal (anecdotal) mix of newbies interested in their first "something". Absent was the crowd of speculators that took the fun out of everything a year ago.

Also more women - especially young women - looking at their first handgun. And a couple of young women obviously looking for their second, third or fourth handgun. :thumbsup:

I saw plenty of older women (grandma types) getting their first guns, too.

I'd say if you were on the fence, you should make a run early this morning to avoid any potential sell-outs in ammo (if this is what you want). It's a good show.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Great Show for parts, ammo accessories and holsters.

Dealers asking stupid prices for their FN SCAR 16S.

One dealer had German produced NATO Spec 7.62x51 in 200 round battle packs for $100.00.

Looking for a holster, there is a young guy making holsters on the left side wall, big sign that says "Holsters". I got IWB and a heavy leather convertible (IWB/OWB) for $40. Nice tight stitching, good leather work. Worth taking a looking if you're in the market before wasting money on a a "big name" holster.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I've had it with that gun show, there is too many people and the prices are just wayyyy to high. PA gun shows are the place to go.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Went yesterday. Reloading supplies selection wasn't very good. Only saw one guy who had any kind of selection. And at 5pm, it all already pretty picked apart and out of LR and small pistol non mag primers. Bought 2lb of RL25 but I didn't inspect the bottle closely enough... One is the old new river energetics stuff made in 2002 and the other is oct 09... So one will be used for fire forming brass or sell it to someone who uses the old stuff.

Saw the NOVA armament table, also several class 3 dealers and trader joes had by far the biggest selection of handguns. Found a P22 with SS slide and compensator at the muzzle (like a slab muzzle brake with the cuts to the top) for $550. Also had the basic model for $330ish. Liked them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom