• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I was thinking of purchasing a Nagant revolver sometime in the future, but I know little about them.

Does anyone who owns one have an opinion of it, good or bad?
    I've read that ammo is difficult to find, and that it has a horrendously heavy double-action trigger and time-consuming reload procedure.

Still, it seems to be an interesting piece of history, and for only $99.95 + shipping & transfer fee (jgsales.com) it's an appealing purchase option.

So... thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :party29:

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    nice little piece of history. still a good deal even at 99 bucks. the ammo is kinda expensive but not ungodly bad. just dont expect to use it as a HD gun

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Is it possible to aim with a can on it? It seems to cover the front sight...

Also, why not use it for HD? Is the round inherently weak, or is there another reason?

And how long does it take for C&R paperwork to go through?

Thanks again all!

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I have one. It is, as said above, an interesting piece of history. The ammo is SOMETIMES difficult to find but it comes and goes. Right now, in fact, AIM has Privi Nagant ammo for @21.9?/50... A little pricey but available. I have also used the .32 S&W and .32 S&W long ammo in it. It's nothing like using the proper ammo but it goes bang..or poof really and causes no problems with the pistol. Some people have used the .32 H&R mag ammo as well.
    It's a Russian military issue weapon so it's well built and reliable. The only drawback is the trigger pull in DA.. quite heavy but I use it for a range gun and shoot it in SA mode anyhow..
    Hope this helps.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina

Also, why not use it for HD? Is the round inherently weak, or is there another reason?

Thanks again all!

The round is not too bad.. it was the standard sidearm for a very long time in Russia..
    For HD use there are much better choices and if a C&R is what your after the CZ82 is a better choice as far as HD goes. I got my C&R 3 years ago, not sure what the wait is these days..

DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    I was thinking of purchasing a Nagant revolver sometime in the future, but I know little about them.

Does anyone who owns one have an opinion of it, good or bad?
    I've read that ammo is difficult to find, and that it has a horrendously heavy double-action trigger and time-consuming reload procedure.

Still, it seems to be an interesting piece of history, and for only $99.95 + shipping & transfer fee (jgsales.com) it's an appealing purchase option.

So... thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

Thanks in advance! :party29:

This was enough to get me to buy one. I just ordered mine from J&G on thursday. Get one while they are still around for a decent price. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Get one while they are still around for a decent price. :thumbsup:

[/url]

They are mechanically very interesting, cheap, historic, cheap, unique and cheap. Also inexpensive.

They've been advertised for a long time at about $99 , until recently they disappeared. Looked like they were gone forever.

Now they're back, still at $99.

Probably be a good idea to grab one while you can, if you ever might want one.

That new ammo on the market is priced similarly to 9mm WWB at Wal Mart.

NOT a practical HD gun, though.

More like an interesting, historic paperweight.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

"In mother Russia, can aims you."

Seriously tho, Nagants are fun little revolvers. They are very different and in many ways the design is unique.

As said factory ammo (Hotshot) is fairly expensive and it's underpowered. There are far better choices for HD handguns. Many folks shoot .32 S&W longs successfully. I have. But when fireformed the cases can split and the forcing cone in the revolver tends to shave lead from the bullet.

There are .32acp conversion cylinders that make Nagants a little more economical to shoot. Still, .32 is a tad large so the cone will still shave some lead.

I reload for mine by reforming 32-20 Win cases with a Lee die set and seat 95 gr .312 cast boolits sized down to .308. The rounds aren't long enough to achieve the cylinder seal like a factory round does, but they work reasonably well with no lead shaving.

There are a number of threads on the forum about member's experiences with Nagants.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Double action trigger pull takes two hands. Single action is OK, but I have to jerk mine. If I pull slow and steady it will jam up and NOT fire. I can't speak for any other guns, only mine.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    they are NOT a practical shooter.

the round is rather weak, the sights are not very good, they take a long time to reload, and the trigger pull is heavy.

they are fun shooters, just not "practical" shooters.

what they are is well built, affordable, genuine pieces of wwII history, and they are an interesting footnote in firearms technology due to the gas seal function.

you can shoot .32 S&W long out of em, which is a little cheaper than the proper loads for it.

ive got 2 of em myself and love em.

i definitely recommend them, and i dont think you can go wrong at the price, just dont buy it expecting a HD gun or something.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    They were made from the Czarist era through WWII, and as such have a lot of historical character. They're affordable and so one can build up a nice collection by year for not much money.

Bryan

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Thanks again all!

This would be a poor choice for a HD gun. The round is weak, but the trigger pull on the weapon is horrible too. The CZ-82 is a much better choice, but still somewhat underpowered but at least you have 12 rounds to get the job done.

Still I have 2 Nagant pistols and they are pretty cool.

Mark

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Pretty much what others have said. Probably the worst trigger going. GREAT piece of history, most are rebuilt to excellent condition. Replacement cyclinders are available .32 acp in the ~$50 range.

I got mine about 10 yeasa ago. Pistol: $50; cyclinder in .32acp: $50. They disappearred for a few years and the price when to $250, now its down again.

I plan on keeping mine as it is a piece of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom