• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Went to MG this afternoon to zero a 1-4 scope on a Ruger mini. A lot of people waiting and I was the fifth person in line. While waiting, I volunteered as RSO to keep the range safe. Ran 15 minute shooting cycles and 5 cold. Everyone pretty much got trigger time and had a good time.

However, a group of folks with a bunch of teenage kids on table 2 were unsafe. Had to be reminded several times not to handle guns while people were down range. Muzzle discipline was horrible. I had to tell them to put the weapons down while people were down range. One guy got outright hostile , asking me who the eff I was. That he knew that his guns were unloaded and he knows what his guns were doing. The Asshat if the day award goes to this idiot.

I also called a ceasefire. . Same guy,decided to instruct his kids from the front of the table on a hot range. While his kid loaded a 30 round mag into an AK that was pointed at his belly. He was also trying to fix a malfunctioning lever gun while people were setting targets and loading revolvers on a cold range.

We must not allow these kinds of behavior to continue unchecked. I will mind my own business if what people do does not put my safety or that of others in immediate jeopardy. safety is our responsibility.

If you are that person and you happen to read this post. You should be ashamed teaching your kids bad habits and may I suggest that you take a firearm safety course . Because you need it bad.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I spent a couple of hours at the range...letting folks get first hand experience with bullpup rifles and enjoying watching AL break in his new Tavor.

Then I did something stupid...... I locked myself out of my car. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Roland, John and Al stayed with my and help me break into my own vehicle. A special shoutout to these outstanding gentlemen. Thank You.

I come back to MG despite of its flaws because of one reason. I like most of the people that go there. it feels like home. Thats why, it is our range.

Feel kinda guilty for being elsewhere now.

I keep a lockout kit in my truck for those 'Oops' moments, it's been a blessing in the past. Takes me less than 30 seconds to get into most cars on the road.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Also as a reminder. Those that take it upon themselves to teach shooting firearms to others. Please keep control of your guns at all times. If you do not have direct control or supervision of the firearm, it should remain cased.

Your guest that have poor trigger discipline and unknowingly muzzle sweep people should be supervised at all times. Accidents with guns are unforgiving. Leave the asshat attitude elsewhere. It does not belong in a firearms range.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    do any of you volunteer RSO's have any authority to ask someone to leave if they are unsafe?

Since it's a state-run range, and we are volunteers, not state employees - the extent of our power is to make a call to the NRP (Natural Resource Police) if someone is that bad off.

Typically, most people adjust their behavior w/out getting confrontational or defensive.

There's always that one though.

*SCAR, with the weather improving and the crowds increasing, I'll do my best to keep the weekends free to help out.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Since it's a state-run range, and we are volunteers, not state employees - the extent of our power is to make a call to the NRP (Natural Resource Police) if someone is that bad off.

Typically, most people adjust their behavior w/out getting confrontational or defensive.

There's always that one though.

*SCAR, with the weather improving and the crowds increasing, I'll do my best to keep the weekends free to help out.

Others should also step up. A 5.56 or 7.62x 39 will go through several people before it stops. Not calling out bad or dangerous behavior amounts to passive agreement.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Others should also step up. A 5.56 or 7.62x 39 will go through several people before it stops. Not calling out bad or dangerous behavior amounts to passive agreement.

Agreed.

'Many hands make light work.'

I think it may be time to get that NRA RSO class scheduled and get some more volunteers lined up and certified.

We can't be there all the time.

It'd be nice to have a group of trained/certified/documented volunteer RSO's to be able to step in if we can't happen to be there on a given weekend/day.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Definitely.

Having that little bit of identification/certification can go a long way when dealing with people too.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What gets me is that when people are called out for stupid. They want credentials. Rules and laws can change. But stupid behavior is stupid behavior. Do we really need credentials to call out someone putting others at risk if being shot?

Who are you? Does it really matter who I am ? Everyone has equal authority to call out dangerous situations
    Anyone can call for a ceasefire and it is everyone's duty to promote a safe environment. 2a is under assault. It only takes a simple act of carelessness to give the gun grabbers a reason to either shut down the range or exploit an accident to further take away our rights.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I agree with your thought process completely. Correcting a situation shouldn't require credentials and such, ideally. Sadly, this world is anything but ideal.

People can be asses, anytime and anywhere.

You'd think a crowded firing line with plenty of firearms would be a place where calmer heads prevail, but it sadly doesn't always work out that way.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    What time do you guys shoot? I am normally there Saturday mornings at open and maybe one weekday a quarter (also in the morning). I just never see these kinds issues in the mornings.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What time do you guys shoot? I am normally there Saturday mornings at open and maybe one weekday a quarter (also in the morning). I just never see these kinds issues in the mornings.

most of the time there are no issues. most folks follow the safety rules and are considerate of others.

But there are a few outliers... Who have the cowboy, high speed operator attitude thinking" my finger is my safety" bullcrap mentality.

Examples are:

I know what my guns are doing.
    Its not loaded.
    Are you clear? CLEAR!!!!!!! Then BANG
    Im just loading mags. Im not touching weapons
    Im just trying to get it to work( people downrange)
    Who the eff are you?
    Its not unsafe. Its unloaded, ( AK pointed at beer belly with a round chambered)
    All eight of us are just going to share a table.
    COLD! Thumbs up.. Actions closed with a full mag, safety off.
    COLD.... ( people still unloading guns, folks running downrange)
    Insisting on Handling guns and ammo on a cold range.

I go mostly on Weekends.. Occasional weekday afternoon if my schedule allows it.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Another situation that screams" DANGER"

Is when folks bring a large group of newbies to the range. Put out a bunch of weapons and ammo on the table and FAIL to keep track of each new shooter and weapons.

Most ranges do not allow more than two people at each firing lane. imagine a group of eight trying to squeeze into one lane. This is not an after Thanksgiving day sale at Walmart.

My biggest fear in ranges is someone giving a powerful handgun like a SW500, 44 Mag etc to a first time shooter. This situation is so dangerous that it can kill. the heavy recoil , and aticipation of recoil causes the shooter to do a death grip. This can cause the shooter to pull the trigger inadvertently upon full recoil firing a second shot. Which ever direction that muzzle is pointed at.. Is destroyed. If they shoot gangsta style... Thats right into the firing line.

Folks... Do us a big favor. PLEASE.. I beg you.

While teaching new shooters is a noble endeavor, we must be aware that this can not be rushed. Firearms safety and skills are best passed on... One is to one or in a very small group. trying to squeeze things into an informal half azz outing on a Sunday afternoon is just beine careless.

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    Ive seen the mag loading several times at MG and ChickahominyWMA in VA. The extent to which it bothers me depends on whether or not they have the bolt/slide locked open or a chamber indicator in. Affirming you are cold with a firearm that has the action closed and/or a magazine in, is my pet peeve by far (well a close second to getting swept by a muzzle)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Was hoping to, but I have something going on in Va.

Plan on going Sunday, need to decompress. :)

brandofire

Jul 4, 2013
    SOMD
    I am taking the family up next Saturday. Hope to see some of you there. BTW I am interested in the volunteer RSO training. Shoot me a PM and I'll help whatever way I can. I might have a few guys at work that would be interested and are MG shooters too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom