• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    We've discussed 'crazy al' plenty of times, he got the nickname due to light-hearted shenanigans - and the occasional "here, hold my beer and watch this" moments. For lx1x, SCARCQB, and myself - we mean no insult when we refer to Al as crazy al.

Yogi (aka Henry) was banned for a year, that was the extent that DNR could go for his behavior. While he may mean well, his demeanor rubs a lot of people the wrong.

**Again, if tetsudo had Al handling/cycling his rifle w/out permission - I'll be the first to apologize. That isn't kosher, period. The only people I can think of that would do such a thing, are Dan or Ronny (both DNR employees that maintain and over see the range). They are both taller (late 40's to late 50's) white guys with good sized beards - and if it was on a weekend, they wouldn't be wearing anything with DNR on it since the DNR won't pay for them to officially maintain a presence on the weekends.
    Not so.. Dan like to wear his dnr logo'd shirt. Don't think ive met Ronny.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not so.. Dan like to wear his dnr logo'd shirt. Don't think ive met Ronny.

In the colder months he's constantly wearing the dark green DNR fleece, but in the warmer months (on the weekend esp.), if he's wearing a DNR shirt, it has a very small logo on the left side of the chest - hard to see at a casual glance.

Ronny is good people, he's normally in the truck in the parking lot - you'll see him afterhours brass-whoring on the range.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    In the colder months he's constantly wearing the dark green DNR fleece, but in the warmer months (on the weekend esp.), if he's wearing a DNR shirt, it has a very small logo on the left side of the chest - hard to see at a casual glance.

Ronny is good people, he's normally in the truck in the parking lot - you'll see him afterhours brass-whoring on the range.

RockyTheDog

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah. I wondering how it's going to be enforced. I don't mind "policing" safety but this new rule is ridiculous.

The purpose of the rule is to protect the baffles from being destroyed by ricochets. That's why the short berm was placed at 25 yards in the pistol lanes. In talking to Dan I learned that it cost them over $87,000 to repair the accumulated damage. There is a new supervisor and he is understandably concerned about avoiding this kind of expense.

Anyone who used this range on a regular basis knows that at least half of the people using it were standing up. Very little handgun work is done sitting down, for instance. This rule eliminates a major part of the functionality of the range. The objective of making shots impact the backstop instead of the ground could be achieved simply by increasing the height of the target stands. The rule is either poorly considered or has another purpose.

The rules for using the range are posted online and at the kiosk where day passes are available. There was no notification about this no standing rule posted online or anywhere at the range except on the shooting benches. You don't go down to the benches unless you've already paid for a pass. I've used this range for more than thirty years. I mainly use it to practice for pistol competition. This new rule renders the range useless for me. I intend to ask for my annual range pass fee back.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Went today.

- they did a nice job cleaning things up. The back baffle supports are now steel with a V-shaped steel deflector which is covered with wooden planking. People are still not paying attention, shoot across lanes and hit the supports. The planking is already riddled with shotgun slugs, smoke-pole balls and lots of pistol slugs. It's not that hard.

- I didn't see any signage about sitting down at the tables. Most people sat until during one hot period one guy stood up and all other pistol shooters followed his lead.

- some MG shooters are grouchy dicks.

Glad we have the place. I hope folks do their best to keep it in decent condition.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The problem is I don't think it is accident that the baffles are being hit. You almost have to try to hit one even with shot from a shotgun.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Got down there on Monday. Haven't been there in over a year. It was nicer than I remember. Target stands and new berms and baffles. I waited about 15 minutes for a lane to open. I just paid the daily. Glad I went back.

cjnovack

Oct 4, 2016
    Hello all,
    Bear with me but I havent shot a rifle since my days in West "by GAWD" Virginny 2 decades ago. I was at Myrtle Grove Saturday and there was no one there (weather was crummy). A few shooters came by as my wife and I were leaving. What is the traffic there on a typical weekend?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Hello all,
    Bear with me but I havent shot a rifle since my days in West "by GAWD" Virginny 2 decades ago. I was at Myrtle Grove Saturday and there was no one there (weather was crummy). A few shooters came by as my wife and I were leaving. What is the traffic there on a typical weekend?

Crowded (when the weather is good) expect a 1 hour or more wait for a table unless you get there early.

If you are really getting into shooting again I suggest looking into one of the local clubs. Sanners Lake in St. Mary's has a great outdoor rifle, pistol and shotgun range. It is a very active club with great people.

St. Charles in Waldorf has a 25 yard indoor range.

I am a member of both clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom