• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    one of my customers he seamed to be a senior member of the club told me you had to be sponsored by a current member was the only way to get in. I worked with a guy that was is pretty well invested into the club Andrew L. I called their and left a message for him he either didn't get it or wasn't interested so I just dropped it .

The rules were changed seveal years ago to allow for non sponsored applicants to apply using a background check. There is an extra fee associated with the background check.

I know Andrew, he can be hard to get in touch with due to his work schedule.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    Has anybody made it down there yet? Any improvments? Thought about going today, but figure it'll probably be pretty crowded.

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    Some benches have had a few boards replaced, all the dirt has been pushed around to fix the pot holes and the back baffels have been replaced.

Everything else looked about the sane to me.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Went down today, it was repaired, but not significantly improved.

eta- some of the down-range baffles have steel posts and beams instead of wood.

Last edited:

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have thought a few times, with the annual fee of $20 and the daily fee of $5, though certainly not a lot of money, it does add up. Are all those funds expended maintaining and repairing the range? I think that there are enough regular shooters that would chip in their time and say, $50 each to buy the needed material to build a overhead covering to span the eight lanes. Would be so nice to be able to shoot on a lightly raining day or hot sunshine. I get spoiled when visiting family in south Georgia, their gun range at the management area is free, 200 yard range, covered pavilion, and mobile steel targets. You can set up clay birds on the 200 yard berm and have a great day of shooting your 10/22.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have thought a few times, with the annual fee of $20 and the daily fee of $5, though certainly not a lot of money, it does add up. Are all those funds expended maintaining and repairing the range? I think that there are enough regular shooters that would chip in their time and say, $50 each to buy the needed material to build a overhead covering to span the eight lanes. Would be so nice to be able to shoot on a lightly raining day or hot sunshine. I get spoiled when visiting family in south Georgia, their gun range at the management area is free, 200 yard range, covered pavilion, and mobile steel targets. You can set up clay birds on the 200 yard berm and have a great day of shooting your 10/22.

I see guys out there with beach umbrellas in the summer and in rain. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. The local ranges back home in WV at the state forests and lakes are similar to what you're talking about. Covered benches, 100-200 yards to the back berms, and they allow steel and clay targets in addition to paper. Of course, it being WV, you get plenty of yahoos who perforate the ceiling of the sheltered benches on a fairly regular basis, and since it's an honor system, there's no RSO to keep those guys away. Still, it's nice that it exists.

My personal gripe with MG is that guys camp out there for the entire day a lot of times. It's not like there are a ton of lanes to use, and most of them simply couldn't give a darn about letting someone waiting get some trigger time in. Usually I take a buddy and a thrower and hit the trap range if the wait is really long, but the days where it's impossible for me to bring someone along, I sometimes wind up waiting more than an hour and a half just to get a bench.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    It does seem like Maryland has an over abundance of ass hats. I am reminded, when I travel to southwestern Virginia or southeastern Georgia just what a bunch of not so nice people we are surrounded by. People down there even show courtisy at the Walmarts and visiting their ranges is downright fun.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Did you all notice the new "no off-hand/standing shooting" rule?

I have not had chance to get there since they reopen. But if what you say I'd correct it is totally bull shit! How can hunters practice off hand shooting or defensive shooters practice on a bench! Need to stand up to them and show this s not an acceptable rule change. It can harm more then it solve.

Did they do away with the rock encrusted dirt mounds at the far end of the range?

That was also something stupid and very dangerous because of all the rocks. We can't shoot a steel target because they are scared of ricochet but they intentionally put a dirt berm full of Hard Rock's 30 yards out that will Ricochet back of the shooters.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am sure it is intended to try and prolong the baffles but they are going to get hit no matter how careful people are. It is just part of having a shooting range like this.

If they want to prolonged them they need to reduce the number of people using it. And best way to do that is make more public ranges and restricting the users to md residents only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom