• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    Finally got my RRA LAR-8 out to the range.

DSC_0121.JPG

(Major Add ons: Magpul PRS--highly recommended, Millet TRS-1 4-16x50)

(Factory Config) (LAR-8, 20" HBAR, Free Float Half-Quad Rail)
    0.5-quad.jpg

Couple of notes on the RRA LAR-8.

1.) It is the least expensive AR-10 in its class--a similarly equipped DPMS SASS will cost about $1,800. Mine cost approximately $1,400.

2.) Parts compatibility. One of the more frustrating things about the LAR-8 is the lack of parts compatibility. Installing the Magpul PRS required a stock extension as the charging handle doesn't clear the PRS cheekpiece. In addition, the LAR-8 won't accept BCM .308 charging handles or Magpul LR20 pmags. Due to this, I had to (a) place the scope further back for proper eye relief and LOP and (b) add a PRI big latch (just the latch, not the overpriced complete charging handle).

3.) Magazines. Uses FAL magazines, both metric and inch pattern. Although my FN Fal mags run fine in my LAR8, my LAR8 mags cause double feeds in my FAL. Guess LAR mags aren't backwards compatible.

4.) Gun isn't too heavy. It's about 9lbs. But once the scope and bipod are on, the gun gets substantially heavier.

5.) Gun has ambi-controls with the exception of the selector lever (bolt release, mag release are both ambidextrous). That's a nice touch.

6.) RRA two stage trigger is nice--reportedly set to break at 4.5lbs. However, in the past I have heard of RRA triggers breaking and become very light single stage triggers.

7.) Gas Block's clamped on. We'll see how that holds up. RRA also had a sling mount on the gas block--pretty stupid for a precision rifle. I punched that out.

On to the range report.
    ========================

I started with a 25-50-100 zero. Nothing really significant except that at 100 yards, I was chasing zero for a while due to the M80 ball I was shooting. Once I switched to Black Hills 168gr Match my groups tightened up significantly.

I used to think that video games about peoples' vision going bad when holding their breath was crap, but today, at 100 yards, when I held my breath for too long, my vision definitely became blurry. In addition, I was a little sore from exercising yesterday so it was hard to center the crosshairs at 100 yards. If there's any inaccuracy in this gun, it is definitely the shooter.

Anyway, here's a 5 shot group from 100 yards:

DSC_0146.JPG

Here's a 3 shot using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr:

DSC_0147.JPG

A lot of stringing came from the shooter. Once I sand-bagged the stock, my groups started sliding horizontally:

DSC_0148.JPG

Center group was with 175gr FGMM. Top left BH 168 Match, bottom left 168gr FGMM, bottom right the same, and top right 175gr FGMM.

The gun mostly stayed around 1 MOA, but I managed to wrangle out some ~.6 MOA groups center to center. I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to precision shooting. Hoping to return with some clover-leafed shot patterns the next time around. Gonna have to buy more precision ammo ($75 shipped for 3 boxes [60rds] of M118LR--yikes!).

So what do you guys think, is this a 800M/1000M capable rifle?

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I was thinking about another lar8. I was wondering about fitting a different stock on it. Do you know what the diameter of the collapisble stock version? I enjoyed my old one once it functioned properly. The lack of rails is a negative too.

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    Shazam!

Tighter group today. About 1/2 MOA.

DSC_0009.JPG

Also put a Leupold MK4 on the rifle.

DSC_0222.JPG

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I'm curious to know what 5 shot groups look like.

If you do a little research you will see it is much cheaper to get set up and reload .308 than it is to buy it.

Kchen986

aka "SWAT" =P
    Oct 12, 2008
    I'm using 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match.

I think the Millet TRS-1 is a decent scope--offers a lot of features for the price point. At extended magnification, the TRS-1 gets a little cloudy, but my particular scope tracked well and worked well.

Re: 5 shot group--I know, the 5 shot group is what counts. But I did not want to jinx myself and screw up such a nice group. :)

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    So what do you guys think, is this a 800M/1000M capable rifle?

No, unless you have a pretty big come-up on the scope - at 1000meters, you will need close to 60MOA up and have close to a 1.5moa of deflection from only 1mph of x-wind - those are tough ballistics for a highly skilled shooter to overcome. I'd set to the rivers and lakes that you are used to - and get a long barrelled, bolt gun for 1000meters in something like 300WM if you want to shoot .30cal.

Ron

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2011
    No, unless you have a pretty big come-up on the scope - at 1000meters, you will need close to 60MOA up and have close to a 1.5moa of deflection from only 1mph of x-wind - those are tough ballistics for a highly skilled shooter to overcome. I'd set to the rivers and lakes that you are used to - and get a long barrelled, bolt gun for 1000meters in something like 300WM if you want to shoot .30cal.

That's the reason they make 10, 15, 20 and 30 MOA Picatinny mounting rails. People have been shooting 1903's, M1's and M14/M1-A's at 1000 yards, usually with iron sights, for a very long time. You do not "need" a magnum .30 caliber to do it.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia

I always thought that .308 is perfectly capable of 1000m shots?

adodson

Jun 12, 2007
    Towson, MD
    I'm using 175gr Federal Gold Medal Match.

If you get a chance, try some Fiocchi Rifle Match 168 and 175. I use both through the 5R and is shoots circles around the Federal (and it's cheaper... and it uses the same Sierra MK HPBT projectile). If you find yourself up in Timonium, stop by Continental. Call first and ask for Andy (410-560-3609... until June 1st). I'll let you know if we can get into the ammo storage and get you some. GREAT stuff. PM me for personal cell phone/email contact if interested. Pretty sure we've got a bunch up there at an awesome price.

-Andy

boomboom929

Dec 13, 2008
    Rockville
    I have an LAR8 Elite Operator and I LOVE IT. It already has the collapsible stock and a flip up front sight. It's accurate and never ever hiccups. Well worth the $1500

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    I always thought that .308 is perfectly capable of 1000m shots?

A 308 bolt gun w/ a 26" barrel - yes, capable. An AR-10 with a 18" barrel - not too capable unless you are a real stud of a shot. Better be shooting sub moa groups at 100 before running an AR-10 out to that range and know your wind reading cold.

With that said, nothing like a challenge :party29: I have had my 18" AR-15 in 223Rem out at 1000yds down at Quantico and 900yds w/ Central VA Tactical. I can shoot sub moa with it at 100, but have trouble holding 3 moa at these extended range with this ballistic setup. I'm running a 75gr AMax, so my ballistic setup isn't much different from the AR-10 in this thread. Its fun, if you can afford to miss :D I would not recommend it for a military, LE, hunting, or competition use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom