• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Well, I could not pass on this. It is a Remington Model M1903 in 30-06 manufactured in 1942 for WWII. I am so excited with it. What do you all think?
    pix107271223.jpg

pix619025407.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Not sure if the serial falls in the single heat treat range which were remotely dangerous. Lookalike someone's sportier job but the barrel may be uncut. Looks like a great resto project.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    I dig it! Very nice.
    The more of these threads I see, the more I want to get a C&R. You just gotta love old guns.

GunAddict

GunAddict
    Apr 15, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Not sure if the serial falls in the single heat treat range which were remotely dangerous. Lookalike someone's sportier job but the barrel may be uncut. Looks like a great resto project.

I had heard about that too but if did my research correctly, this one did not. Only reason it's got a sporter stock is because the original cracked beyond repair. I am planning on restoring it but but every 1903 stock in half decent shape is as much as I paid for the rifle :sad20:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Jimbob2.0 said:

Only rifles below serial number 800,000 were the ones with the heat treatment issue. This one is fine.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Try getting a repo stock from CMP, cost is not bad. Original stocks in good condition are hard to find and are not worth the cost in my opinion. I would go with the repo "C" stock, For some reason, the "C" stock gives less felt recoil, not to mention it just looks better. Is this one a 4 groove barrel or 2 groove? If I remember correctly, they changed from 4 to 2 grooves in late '42. From what I can see in the pics, it looks like the sights hace been changed. would need better pics of the sight areas to be sure.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sights have definately been changed. Not only is the elaborate '03 rear sight gone, the base is gone also.

This is the original sight: note the base which wraps around the barrel, extending from the receiver to the handguard. It has a long "dished out" flute on each side.

Attachments

• '03 Rear Sight.jpg
      '03 Rear Sight.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 151

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads