My idea to get the shooting community to come together to donate to the needy :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thresher03187

Sep 18, 2010
    Harford County
    So here is my thought. I think that most of us as gun owners are prepared to protect another with our firearms if necessary. However I think it will also be a great thing to create a fund raising campaign (kinda of as a small test run first). My proposal is this... I think it would be awesome to be able to come together and contribute some money or volunteer to a cause that we can come to an agreement on. I'm talking aside from firearms.. Something like a homeless shelter, or a children's hospital. something like that. I'm prepared to match up to $250 in contributions for the first go round of this and if successful more on following fund raising campaigns. Let me know what you guys are thinking about this idea and PM me if you have any input that you'd like me to take note of. I will check this forum post as well.

Thanks for reading guys.:cool:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Berwyn Rod and Gun Club regularly does food drives for local food banks as well as collecting toys each year for toys for tots.

I've given to a couple of efforts here to collect goods to send to our troops.

DD214, your host, started a collection to sponsor a kids softball team.

While your idea is laudable, I get the feeling that you assume that we aren't already charitable in other ways besides supporting the RKBA.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    So here is my thought. I think that most of us as gun owners are prepared to protect another with our firearms if necessary. However I think it will also be a great thing to create a fund raising campaign (kinda of as a small test run first). My proposal is this... I think it would be awesome to be able to come together and contribute some money or volunteer to a cause that we can come to an agreement on. I'm talking aside from firearms.. Something like a homeless shelter, or a children's hospital. something like that. I'm prepared to match up to $250 in contributions for the first go round of this and if successful more on following fund raising campaigns. Let me know what you guys are thinking about this idea and PM me if you have any input that you'd like me to take note of. I will check this forum post as well.

Thanks for reading guys.:cool:
    Define: "needy" :tap:

Thresher03187

Sep 18, 2010
    Harford County
    No I think overall from my experiences that responsible gun owners are usual better citizens overall. so im sure that you all do charitable work. I was thinking more specific things though. like something that would both help our communities as well as put a positive public view on gun owners. It has two great and necessary bonuses. see what im saying?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Define: "needy" :tap:

SOMDSHOOT and every other member of this forum. Nailed that one on the head didn't I.

The girl at the grocery store always asks if I want to donate my change for some literacy program and I tell her the same thing over and over, "No, parents and schools are for that and I trying to save for my retirement."

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    We should just pay for everything for the poor. Like we could all pay for healthcare. Maybe give cars and homes to crack heads. Bailout anyone and everyone.

Oh wait.......

K31 is spot on. If you feel so inclined go ahead. Or vote Obama again. When you start telling folks how to spend their money be very careful. Many of us already give, donate and help others. If you were to have more presence in this community you would see this.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I give enough money to my own charities.(and maybe you do too) How about if I name the one I give to, that everyone gives to mine. Group forum donations NEVER work. Ever.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I give enough money to my own charities.(and maybe you do too) How about if I name the one I give to, that everyone gives to mine. Group forum donations NEVER work. Ever.

Except in the two examples I previously named, plus gathering money for a deceased member's family, creating a memorial fund in the name of the same member, there was also a guy on here selling C&R bound books for a charity relating to a disease his daughter has (I still have an extra if anybody needs one I'll karma you) and I'm sure there are many other examples I'm missing...

Edit: Bound book is now spoken for.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I like the idea of a food drive... something directed to a specific need. There are many churches and other organizatrions that maintain pantries for families in need, and/or do "Holiday Baskets" for them.

Alternatively, a toy drive for a homeless and/or women's shelter would have a large effect. In the past, we've anonymously "adopted" a single-mother family trying to restart, who were staying at Sara's House (near Ft. Meade).

Another thing we might consider is an honor-system "pledge-per" fundraiser, where we promise to donate an amount per practice round we fire to whatever charity we decide (collectively or individually). For example, $.10 per shell fired over the period we do this, firing 500 rounds nets $50 for the cause. Whatever we each choose.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Except in the two examples I previously named, plus gathering money for a deceased member's family, creating a memorial fund in the name of the same member, there was also a guy on here selling C&R bound books for a charity relating to a disease his daughter has (I still have an extra if anybody needs one I'll karma you) and I'm sure there are many other examples I'm missing...
    I give more than a part time job's money a month to the national law enforcement officers memorial fund. It helps upkeep a grand memorial and helps many family members who have lost a loved one. ( Concerns of police survivors) COPS. Maybe this is a god idea for someone who doesn't already give to a cause. :)

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I give more than a part time job's money a month to the national law enforcement officers memorial fund. It helps upkeep a grand memorial and helps many family members who have lost a loved one. ( Concerns of police survivors) COPS. Maybe this is a god idea for someone who doesn't already give to a cause. :)

I'm not trying to doubt anyone's generosity, I was just pointing out that several charitable efforts by this forum have gone well, exceedingly well.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Just a few things off the top of my head.

The only thing I ask is that if someone solicits money that they don't ask for paypal.

I'm not sure if Amazon still has it, but they had a way to collect money through them. I understand that this took a bigger bite than paypal but I am done dealing with paypal.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The only thing I ask is that if someone solicits money that they don't ask for paypal.

I'm not sure if Amazon still has it, but they had a way to collect money through them. I understand that this took a bigger bite than paypal but I am done dealing with paypal.

The only reason I mentioned Pay Pal is that Pay Pal offers a Donation Account only for non-profit organizations and they do not charge transaction fees for the Donation Accounts. I have used this service in the past a few for fund raisers for families who are in dire need of the funds, mostly young kids. I really don't trust anyone these days when it comes to the words "donate" or "charity".

However, people are more apt to make a payment if they have easy access to something like Pay Pal where they can have a receipt for Tax purposes or ease-of-use. Pay Pal is simply an example and most people have money in a PP account that is merely "slush". I would rather someone show me an address with a bank name on it, I don't send money to strangers with no credentials, if you don't have a proper setup to collect funds, I don't care how heart wrenching the story is.

I am one of those who want to have a paper trail of my donation funds and I want to make sure there is limited access to those funds by one or two people. It fascinates me that I hear TV ads and they say something like "10 Cents of every dollar goes to the charity" the other 90 cents that could go to the charity is wasted on advertising materials, etc.

I will also add, I don't think it is safe to say, "Group forum donations NEVER work. Ever." It is safe to say, they can work just fine, the problem is the way they are presented and handled, you don't just jump in and ask people to give you money, you have to use a platform that presents a higher level of legitimacy to the donor.

Thresher03187

Sep 18, 2010
    Harford County
    I don't understand why anyone would have a negative comment back to me all I said is that Id like to come together and help people. I'm willing to listen to all ideas I am not closed minded. I just would specifically like to help people locally. and what I mean by needy is not having at least one necessity to living healthy. You know food, shelter, health care (serious health problems), clothing. that type of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom