• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    38 Super is a very overlooked round ... It's like a 9mm on steroids ... I own 5 1911 Kimbers in 38 Super that are probably my most accurate hand guns ... I have ammo for it that exceeds the BC of standard .357 ammo ... My only complaint is that no one manufactures a heavier grain bullet like they do in 9mm in the 147gr range ... Heaviest ammo I can find is 132gr !
    i consider 357sig to be a 9mm on steroids. Looking at specs 38super +P seems to be the middle ground between 9-357sig in terms of fps and muzzle energy.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why not go to 9x23 Win? Has everything else mentioned here beat. Same OAL as 38 Super but bigger/better/faster. For sure you can rechamber the 9mm bbl and don't have to touch the extractor.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Why not go to 9x23 Win? Has everything else mentioned here beat. Same OAL as 38 Super but bigger/better/faster. For sure you can rechamber the 9mm bbl and don't have to touch the extractor.
    9x23 & 38 Super cases look identical ?
    9x23_winchester_38-super-jpg.164433

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Unless you're just looking for a nice project you can go the easy route

This ^^^ model has interchangeable Barrels and magazines ... Don't know if anyone else had mentioned this ,... But another consideration might be whether or not you can load 38 Super cartridges in the Tisas 9mm magazine model you have ? or whether a 38 Super magazine will fit the model you have ?

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I’ve always thought it interesting to see what can be done even if starting with the cheapest possible gun. I have precision rifles that cost well over $1500-2000…still on the really cheap end for a “real“ precision rifle. And I have a $400 Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a home made adjustable comb that shoots lights out. I just find that interesting.
    Just looking at this more carefully…thinking about a DIY project…

is there any reason to think that a 9mm with the appropriate breechface (depending on whether or not I am shooting 38 Super Comp brass) and then with just a drop in 38 Super ramped barrel wouldn’t do the same thing? Just swap out the barrels as desired? Making sure the other parts…extractor etc. are tuned to work with both 9mm AND 38 Super?

Jul 1, 2012
    If you look real close, the .38 Super has a rim that sticks out just a hair (e.g. the "semi-rim" referred to above). The original .38 ACP cartridge used in the M1900, 1902 etc head-spaced on that rim. The Super is just a .38 ACP with more oomph.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

Close but not the same. The 9x23 Win case is slightly tapered like 9x19 Parabellum for easier extraction and brass life during reloading . 38super is almost straight. x23 also has the exact same rim/extractor size as x19. And *MOST* importantly is has MUCH thicker brass at the base than anything else because its rated for TWICE the pressure. Basically 9+++++++++P :) Uses small RIFLE primers if you load it to max. Its better in every way than 38 super (as it should because its much more modern.) Feeds from any 38 Super mag.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Close but not the same. The 9x23 Win case is slightly tapered like 9x19 Parabellum for easier extraction and brass life during reloading . 38super is almost straight. x23 also has the exact same rim/extractor size as x19. And *MOST* importantly is has MUCH thicker brass at the base than anything else because its rated for TWICE the pressure. Basically 9+++++++++P :) Uses small RIFLE primers if you load it to max. Its better in every way than 38 super (as it should because its much more modern.) Feeds from any 38 Super mag.
    It also goes for between $1.00 - $3.00 per round ... Yikes !

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Roughly the same price as hot 38 Super from places like Buffalo Bore. You typ reload for rounds like these.
    I loaded up on Underwood ammo before they became a "Boutique Manufacturer" like Buffalo Bore ... since then I have found other ammo dealers that also offer +P ammo at normal 50 round per box pricing .. around 0.50 cents a round ... Notably LAX Ammo ... Atlanta Arms is another good option !

LAX Ammo 38 Super

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Its interesting 9x23Win was never picked up by the self defense crowd. It was created as a modern round for competition, while solving 38 super drawbacks, so 9mm could safely make 'major' power levels - then they just changed the rules so you could do it w/ x19 loads and sort of killed all interest. But its the same power as 357sig w/ higher mag capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom