• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Starting with the very cheapest 1911 I could find…a 9mm TISAS 5” for $317…

1) Which steps will most enhance the accuracy of the 38 Super…barrel fit? slide-to-frame fit? match barrel? match bushing? Something else?

2) Barrel bushing…angle bore or not? Which manufacturer and where to find it? Is it simply a “small bore” or a specific caliber or measurement?

3) Where the heck do you find 38 Super ammo for less than $1 a round? Or just get that doggone used Dillon 550 set up?

4) Anyone checker a gun themself? I sit really hand hours of time, lots of expense for jogs and files which break in the process and then hand surgery afterwards?

5) What loads…powder, powder weight and bullets do I use…assuming I eventually get the Dillon up and running…. I have seven pounds if Bullseye I’ve been carrying around for 15 years expecting to set up a Dillon. Will that work? And I have a hechuva lot of lead bullets in unmarked boxes of different sizes and weights…what do I do with that?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I'll give this a go...

Starting with the very cheapest 1911 I could find…a 9mm TISAS 5” for $317…

1) Which steps will most enhance the accuracy of the 38 Super…barrel fit? slide-to-frame fit? match barrel? match bushing? Something else?

Yes. It all adds up. Any play in the system causes angular error.
    A 'match' barrel is probably the last thing I would try. Is it possible to just ream the orig 9mm barrel to a 38 super chamber? I haven't looked up the dimensions to see if there is overlap everywhere or not.

2) Barrel bushing…angle bore or not? Which manufacturer and where to find it? Is it simply a “small bore” or a specific caliber or measurement?
    Angle bore. A 1911 barrel tilts as it recoils. You have to allow for this movement somewhere. Either it takes a sloppier fit straight bushing or you angle bore it. Angle bore should allow the tightest fit during lockup.

4) Anyone checker a gun themself? I sit really hand hours of time, lots of expense for jogs and files which break in the process and then hand surgery afterwards?
    W/ todays CNC, I have to think that laser or milling would be a far faster, straighter, and long term cheaper solution. Buying something that is already checkered is probably the cheapest solution.
    Hand checkering is a cool skill. As is engraving. But if the objective is just for functional vs having an art piece use modern tools to get it done.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Well, the main reasons I see are from an ammo/brass price/availability perspective - there's not much to gain in terms of muzzle velocity (200 fps on similarly sized bullets) and the bullets are roughly the same - different only by .003" - and there are already a plethora of 1911s available in 9mm.

With that said, I do understand the desire to take on a challenging project for the sake of the project, but I don't see much gain from a pragmatic perspective.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    there's another, more interesting, option...

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    So...why would you want a 1911 in 38 super?
    Initially because the custom 38 Super I have owned for a long time more than keeps up with my custom 45 ACP guns.

Then there’s the uniqueness, the history, the greater storage capacity, the defense capability vs. a 9mm.

Perhaps the best reason? It catches my interest.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Unless you're just looking for a nice project you can go the easy route

I’ve always thought it interesting to see what can be done even if starting with the cheapest possible gun. I have precision rifles that cost well over $1500-2000…still on the really cheap end for a “real“ precision rifle. And I have a $400 Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor with a home made adjustable comb that shoots lights out. I just find that interesting.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Well, the main reasons I see are from an ammo/brass price/availability perspective - there's not much to gain in terms of muzzle velocity (200 fps on similarly sized bullets) and the bullets are roughly the same - different only by .003" - and there are already a plethora of 1911s available in 9mm.

With that said, I do understand the desire to take on a challenging project for the sake of the project, but I don't see much gain from a pragmatic perspective.
    My understanding…which I have yet to test quantitatively…is that for inherent accuracy, higher velocity, much longer distance capability and perhaps for a few other reasons…the 38 Super is quite superior to the 9mm.

The eventual testing comparison will prove me right or wrong.

Of course…$10 for a box of 9mm vs. $40-50 for a box of 38 Super…

That gets me to another pleasant hobby and past time…”fun with reloading!”

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    there's another, more interesting, option...
    Now THAT looks interesting. I had thought about a 357 Sig…wondering if that would work.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Now THAT looks interesting. I had thought about a 357 Sig…wondering if that would work.
    The neat thing about the rowland conversions is you don't need to shoot a rowland cartridge. For 460 rowland, you can shoot .45 super or .45acp. For 960 rowland, you can shoot regular 9mm. In both cases, the rowland loading gives a massive increase in power.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    So...why would you want a 1911 in 38 super?
    38 Super is a very overlooked round ... It's like a 9mm on steroids ... I own 5 1911 Kimbers in 38 Super that are probably my most accurate hand guns ... I have ammo for it that exceeds the BC of standard .357 ammo ... My only complaint is that no one manufactures a heavier grain bullet like they do in 9mm in the 147gr range ... Heaviest ammo I can find is 132gr !

owldo

Ultimate Member
    My understanding…which I have yet to test quantitatively…is that for inherent accuracy, higher velocity, much longer distance capability and perhaps for a few other reasons…the 38 Super is quite superior to the 9mm.

The eventual testing comparison will prove me right or wrong.

Of course…$10 for a box of 9mm vs. $40-50 for a box of 38 Super…

That gets me to another pleasant hobby and past time…”fun with reloading!”
    Lot of comparisons I have seen compare it vs .45 acp ...

45 vs 38 Super

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    38 super FTW

You can find some Sig 38s barrels floating around for cheap.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Does the 9mm and .38 Super have the same feed ramp profile? If so…that’s good for the conversion. Also check to see if a different extractor, ejector and firing pin are needed.
    Same ramp on ramped frames. Tisas uses Clark/Para ramped barrels in their sub-45 pistols.

OP, fit a bushing first and shoot it. Some pistols respond in a favorable direction with that accuracy mod. If you are getting 3 in hes at 25 yards with blasting grade ball (9mm) then stop there…it is the best If you want more…rebarrel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom