• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Looks good op. How was fitting the internals? I used Wilson combat parts and it was a lot of filing.
    I used a handful of Ed Brown parts and they went together pretty easy. I took a flyer on a company I heard some good about Thunder Mountain Customs and their parts went together great. Most everything they sell is machined bar stock. Also should mention Mike there is great on communication and customer service, prices are a nice perk as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Between you and the mosin guy on 1911 forum, I'm in the market for an 80% frame. Then onto parts and slide.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Between you and the mosin guy on 1911 forum, I'm in the market for an 80% frame. Then onto parts and slide.
    With the amount you end up spending on jigs I just went through foster and got some nice frames that were complete. Yes there is some allure to an 80% but I wanted steel not aluminum frames.

VytamenC has some nice steel frames if you are looking.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    With the amount you end up spending on jigs I just went through foster and got some nice frames that were complete. Yes there is some allure to an 80% but I wanted steel not aluminum frames.

VytamenC has some nice steel frames if you are looking.

There are those like myself that refuse to get an HQL. I enjoyed building my 80% 1911 and as you said there is a certain allure.

You can buy 80% steel frames. It takes very little to go from 80% to 100%. Use the Stealth Arms jig to cut the rails and drill two holes then use the the matrix precision jig for the barrel seat.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    There are those like myself that refuse to get an HQL. I enjoyed building my 80% 1911 and as you said there is a certain allure.

You can buy 80% steel frames. It takes very little to go from 80% to 100%. Use the Stealth Arms jig to cut the rails and drill two holes then use the the matrix precision jig for the barrel seat.
    Not saying the process is hard but those 2 along are 400 bucks in jigs. I can get 3 frames from foster for those same 400 dollars....

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    How come you don't see more jugs available after use? Are they one and done, or people hold on to them? It'd be nice to borrow folks jigs and offer compensation for the use of them.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    How come you don't see more jugs available after use? Are they one and done, or people hold on to them? It'd be nice to borrow folks jigs and offer compensation for the use of them.

They are not one and done. The jigs themselves should last forever. The blades will need to be replaced after 8-10 frames.

You will be hard pressed to find someone renting/lending their jigs after the ATF ruling several years ago determining that was illegal.

Several years back it wasn't too hard to find folks having 80% build parties, usually for AR lowers. ATF said that was a no-no.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    You don't need an HQL to purchase an 80% frame, just sayin'.

FIFY

What some people probably don't know is that there are tons of 100% frame manufacturers and there is an entire 1911 subculture of building them up from 100% frames. Seems like more of the 100% frame guys are building with super high end parts with finished guns in the $1500-$2000 worth of parts range and going for guns prettier than almost anything on the regular retail market.

80% guys on the other hand are often first timers and are trying not to put more than $1,000 into a gun they aren't sure of, at least for their first few guns. Usually very happy with a smooth, functioning, GI type gun.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    FIFY

What some people probably don't know is that there are tons of 100% frame manufacturers and there is an entire 1911 subculture of building them up from 100% frames. Seems like more of the 100% frame guys are building with super high end parts with finished guns in the $1500-$2000 worth of parts range and going for guns prettier than almost anything on the regular retail market.

80% guys on the other hand are often first timers and are trying not to put more than $1,000 into a gun they aren't sure of, at least for their first few guns. Usually very happy with a smooth, functioning, GI type gun.
    Except mosin virus. But he's Cali reasident which is why he has to used 80% frames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom