• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    So I just bought two muzzle loaders off a guy on arms list, so that way the Scout troop that I volunteer for can shoot. I bought both guns for $275, after the gentleman swore they were safe to fire. I got a Spanish made .50 with the cleaning screw rust and nipple rust welded to the gun and a sewer pipe bore, and a .45 Ultra Hi Miroku, with part of the ramrod stuck down the barrel. Does any one know of a good and cheap gunsmith around the Bowie area, or I am SOL?

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I don't know what to tell you about the .50, but you may be able to blow the obstruction out of the .45 with a compressor and an air blower end with the rubber tip by removing the nipple. Or maybe a CO2 discharge device. Sorry to see this happen to a guy trying to help out some scouts.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Can you remove the nipple from the 45?
    If what he broke was the ramrod while pushing a ball down there, you may still have an active charge in the gun. Plus the ball may not be all the way down Be careful.
    Just dont' try to shoot it out when you don't know whats going on.
    If your able to remove the nipple and blow it out with compressed air, if air blows out, it may be just a cleaning patch on the rod that is stuck, but more likely a wood rod was broken while pushing a patched ball down.

I had a scenario where I used a grease gun and a grease nipple from Harbor freight to push a stuck ball out of my gun which was not fully seated. I used grease, but someone gave a great idea to buy bulk hand lotion and use that instead of grease. The hand lotion is easier to clean up and does not stain.

Post some pics!

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I think the nipple thread size is a metric 6-1 on the .45 Ultra Hi Miroku.

In the past I had a very stuck ball in the bore. We took a zerk grease fitting that fit the tread size of the nipple. We cut the grease fitting, pulled out the spring and ball bearing, and soldered an air needle (for filling basket balls) into the grease fitting. Then we screwed it into the nipple hole in the barrel and attached the air hose from the shop air compressor to the air needle fitting. Pointed the muzzle in a safe direction and opened the valve on the air hose. Everything came flying out the muzzle. Can't remember how much PSI was used but I would say it was on the high side.

Hope that helps

df

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I sent a muzzle loader to Hafer's (Hagerstown) for that same exact nipple problem.

An old gun that has been sitting around for 30 years.

Cadet08

Gone
    Nov 13, 2006
    I finally got the ramrod out of the 45... No charge or ball behind it just a jag and way over sized patch. As far as he 50 goes looks like i have either an expensive wall hanger or a smooth bore.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That stinks. Maybe a .45 rifle and a 37 gauge shotgun for the scouts to practice with? Lands reamed out enough for a reasonable spread? Or is there still enough to mess up a shot spread? Could always show them buck and ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom