• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    anyone that mushroom hunts find any yet? I've heard rumors of people finding them now, but I usually don't hit the woods until the middle of April

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Good God, 1st two posts...you guys are too much. :lol:

I would love to find some, but I am too chicken to take a chance on getting a wrong one. (Not that kind of wrong). My grandfather used to pick them and then my grandmother battered and fried them. They were awesome.

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Grb...they look like this...Can't miss one when you see it in the woods. You usually don't find that many in one bunch, but it can happen.

Attachments

• morels.jpg
      morels.jpg
      8.9 KB · Views: 392

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Grb...they look like this...Can't miss one when you see it in the woods. You usually don't find that many in one bunch, but it can happen.

Yes, that is exactly the way the ones looked my grandfather picked. I haven't eaten one of those in 30 years. Good luck.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    The hallucinogenic class of mushrooms is called psilocybins. Those are the ones DEA considers class 1 controlled substance- no accepted medical usage.

For the legal ones, I picked some in the woods as a kid with grandpa, also looking like the ones pictured. I am going to pick up a book. It would be a way to take the kids out, and scout for turkey slaying places at the same time.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I've actually started (last year) to try to grow some mushrooms. Three types in logs and a morel patch in soil. From what I've read its a little early for them but I'm starting to watch my patch more closely. I'm getting good asparagus from my bed right now, isn't spring great (except the tree pollen is killing me).

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    It would be a way to take the kids out, and scout for turkey slaying places at the same time.

Turkeys love morels.

My dad goes out and hunts morels every year, he usually gets a gallon or 2, used to get a lot more years ago. I don't know if it's because he's older and doesn't walk as far or can't see them as well or if they are just declining in the area.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    So is the fungus among us?

Sorry I couldn't resist.... You know... just trying to be a real fungi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom