multiple purchase of regulated firearms - Did you know this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Did you know about the bold print below?

C. A person may apply for a multiple purchase of regulated firearms and, upon approval by the Secretary, may purchase more than one regulated firearm in a 30-day period under the following circumstances:

(1) The purchase of the regulated firearms is for a private collection or is a collector series;

(2) The purchase of the regulated firearms is a bulk purchase from an estate sale;

(3) The purchase of not more than two regulated firearms is a multiple purchase for the purpose of taking advantage of a dealer's discounted price available only for a multiple purchase, except that the purchaser is prohibited from purchasing a regulated firearm during the following 30-day period unless approved for a multiple purchase under §C(1) and (2) of this regulation; or

(4) Other similar purposes.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Yes most of us know this but also most of us have MD collector status so it doesn't matter
    If you don't than get MD collector and you don't have to worry about this...
    there has been times I bought 4 regulated pistols at once b/c of a great deal it's so worth it!

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Yup, just get collector's status. IIRC it's only one page, very simple, and only costs a notary's signature and a stamp. It did take my letter a little while to come back though, I think something like 6 weeks.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yup, most FFLs will let you transfer a couple of regulated weapons at the same time. It's also less paperwork and saves you a duplicate $10 fee to the MSP.

However, without a collector's status you can still only buy an average of one every 30 days. Getting two at once means you have a 60-day wait to buy again.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Yes most of us know this but also most of us have MD collector status so it doesn't matter
    there has been times I bought 4 regulated pistols at once b/c of a great deal it's so worth it!

I just recently obtained the collectors status. I just find it strange that a state like Maryland who are loaded with anti-gun laws and anti-gun people running Maryland that there is things like this available to us. On one hand Maryland takes gun rights away, and on the other they give some back for the people who request it.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Yup, just get collector's status. IIRC it's only one page, very simple, and only costs a notary's signature and a stamp. It did take my letter a little while to come back though, I think something like 6 weeks.

Yup, most FFLs will let you transfer a couple of regulated weapons at the same time. It's also less paperwork and saves you a duplicate $10 fee to the MSP.

However, without a collector's status you can still only buy an average of one every 30 days. Getting two at once means you have a 60-day wait to buy again.

Thanks for the great info guys. The MSP have a bottle neck right now with the collectors approval proccess because the lady who did it died and it the duties have been given to a Trooper who I assume has his own work to do. He is getting people approved as fast as he can. He was very nice and also very helpful when I called. Longer story short, He was able to get me in the system but told me the paperwork backing it up may take some time to get to me. He also told me to just tell any dealer that I was a collector and if the had any issues they could call his department.

But don't you find it strange that Maryland gives us this ability?

nicholst55

Feb 4, 2007
    Camp Casey, Korea
    I just recently obtained the collectors status. I just find it strange that a state like Maryland who are loaded with anti-gun laws and anti-gun people running Maryland that there is things like this available to us. On one hand Maryland takes gun rights away, and on the other they give some back for the people who request it.

That's just so they know whose doors to kick in when the time comes. :sad20:

vette97

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2008
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Knowing this law is helpful when visiting gun stores. You end up helping out the store staff when a customer comes in and needs to be told 5 times that he cannot buy more than 1 regulated firearm per month and you come to the staff's rescue, confirming that they are telling the customer the truth, so the customer finally gives up arguing and leaves the store. Me at On Target yesterday :sad20:

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Knowing this law is helpful when visiting gun stores. You end up helping out the store staff when a customer comes in and needs to be told 5 times that he cannot buy more than 1 regulated firearm per month and you come to the staff's rescue, confirming that they are telling the customer the truth, so the customer finally gives up arguing and leaves the store. Me at On Target yesterday :sad20:

So you're saying that you and On Target were incorrect?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    So, how is this different than a C&R?

This allows you to forget about the 30 day wait between regulated firearms in Maryland. It does not however excuse you from the 7 day wait, but you can buy as many as you want at a time and don't have to worry about when you bought your last regulated weapon.

pappie

Dec 21, 2009
    Pittsville, Maryland
    I needed that last month. I bought an XD40, then I bought a Ruger from a fellow forum member and had to wait out my 30 days then send paper work to MSP yesterday. My FFL said that I had to wait 30 days before I could do the transfer!
    Meantime, my Ruger is sitting in my FFL's safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom