• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Ok so if a dealer releases a firearm before paperwork comes back, he looses his license...hows that work for a person to person transfer done at msp? The seller doesnt have a license to loose and technically is protected if the seller says they let the other person borrow it to go to the range right? I understand its illegal but how does it work?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Ok so if a dealer releases a firearm before paperwork comes back, he looses his license...hows that work for a person to person transfer done at msp? The seller doesnt have a license to loose and technically is protected if the seller says they let the other person borrow it to go to the range right? I understand its illegal but how does it work?

First, the FFL would not automatically lose their license. Lou45 posted here what happened with him, http://mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=839056&postcount=34

I have never done a secondary transfer, I keep what I buy, unless the gun is traded/sold to a dealer.

BTW, it is legal to lend a handgun to someone. Just make sure that person can legally own one.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    First, the FFL would not automatically lose their license. Lou45 posted here what happened with him, http://mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=839056&postcount=34

I have never done a secondary transfer, I keep what I buy, unless the gun is traded/sold to a dealer.

BTW, it is legal to lend a handgun to someone. Just make sure that person can legally own one.

So if that person can legally own a handgun, theres no issue if the seller "loaned" it to the buyer in a privated party sale. Msp doesnt hold on to firearm, seller does.

You gotta love md

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    So if that person can legally own a handgun, theres no issue if the seller "loaned" it to the buyer in a privated party sale. Msp doesnt hold on to firearm, seller does.

You gotta love md

I am NOT saying you can loan the buyer the gun. I just pointed out that you can loan a gun to a buddy.

Best I know, no one has asked for a legal ruling on if you can allow the buyer access to their gun while the 77R forms are being processed. (secondary transfer I mean)

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I am NOT saying you can loan the buyer the gun. I just pointed out that you can loan a gun to a buddy.

Best I know, no one has asked for a legal ruling on if you can allow the buyer access to their gun while the 77R forms are being processed. (secondary transfer I mean)

Yeah this craps weird. MD should just do away with the waiting period if you've bought a regulated firearm within a certain period of time, and just do the backround check they do for a non regulated firearm.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yeah this craps weird. MD should just do away with the waiting period if you've bought a regulated firearm within a certain period of time, and just do the backround check they do for a non regulated firearm.

A system of some sort as you have mentioned would be wonderful and life would be tremendously easier. I know it's a pain in the a$$ for all of you having to go out of your way to pick up your regulated purchases at some point in the future after purchasing. But please bear in mind, consider what the dealer has to do to keep up with when the number of regulated firearms sold in the course of the year is in the four digit category (all left of the decimal point with a comma).:innocent0

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County

Mike, you may be venturing out on thin ice with this one. As long as the regulated firearm is within your immediate control and proximity; no problem. Lend the regulated firearm to a nonprohibited buddy so he can go to the range to shoot with his buddies, and him enroute from range to hoime decides to stop at the bar and have a few with his buddies. After leaving the bar with booze on his breath, gets in an accident and,well, you can imagine the rest. Because you let him borrow a reg'd firearm, you may have to sell your firearm collection in a hurry to pay for a GOOD defense attourney. Why stick your dick out on a chopping block for no real valid reason???

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    A system of some sort as you have mentioned would be wonderful and life would be tremendously easier. I know it's a pain in the a$$ for all of you having to go out of your way to pick up your regulated purchases at some point in the future after purchasing. But please bear in mind, consider what the dealer has to do to keep up with when the number of regulated firearms sold in the course of the year is in the four digit category (all left of the decimal point with a comma).:innocent0

I dont doubt the dealer has to go through alot. Example though, in Florida, if you trade a reg firearm for another one...you walk out that day with the one you traded for, no waiting. That makes ALOT of sense, you've already got a reg firearm, your going to have it no matter what, why not let you replace it if need be?

Mike, you may be venturing out on thin ice with this one. As long as the regulated firearm is within your immediate control and proximity; no problem. Lend the regulated firearm to a nonprohibited buddy so he can go to the range to shoot with his buddies, and him enroute from range to hoime decides to stop at the bar and have a few with his buddies. After leaving the bar with booze on his breath, gets in an accident and,well, you can imagine the rest. Because you let him borrow a reg'd firearm, you may have to sell your firearm collection in a hurry to pay for a GOOD defense attourney. Why stick your dick out on a chopping block for no real valid reason???

Thats a shitty situation but how does it fall back on the original owner of the pistol? I was always told if someone else has it, its there problem.

BTW, when my g/f did her transfer yesterday the Trooper told her she could pick it up the following monday. She did this transfer at MSP barracks. They said its 10 days because they only count buisness days. Thats how MSP work. Which I think we all agreed is B/S.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I called Bass Pro again today. The person who answered the phone said the counter was really busy and took my name. He said he would call me back in 20 minutes. It's safe to assume he never called back. He did remind me that it's 7-10 business days for approval. I pointed out that it's already been 10 days and he didn't really have a good answer. I'm going to go in there on Monday and get with a manager and ask them to call the MSP for a status.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Lou, a while back there was a question on if it was legal to lend a regulated firearm and someone found a court case that supported the view that you can lend a regulated gun.

On the Federal level, I believe the GCA of '68, has a provision for lending a firearms for sporting purposes.

As to whether you SHOULD lend a gun is of course a different matter. Personally, I would have a tough time letting my brother in law, a very conservative lawyer, borrow a firearm.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I called Bass Pro again today. The person who answered the phone said the counter was really busy and took my name. He said he would call me back in 20 minutes. It's safe to assume he never called back. He did remind me that it's 7-10 business days for approval. I pointed out that it's already been 10 days and he didn't really have a good answer. I'm going to go in there on Monday and get with a manager and ask them to call the MSP for a status.

Wow! Im very glad i didnt buy from bass pro. They are about useless when it comes to answering a phone though. I would be up there everyday past the 10 days bugging the crap out of them. 10 buisness days my ass, even msp say its 10 regular days, 7 buisness days. I think he was saying that because in a peson to person transfer they use snail mail to send the paperwork, where as a dealer uses a fax. So bass pro is really giving you the shaft. Im sorry to hear this.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Wow! Im very glad i didnt buy from bass pro. They are about useless when it comes to answering a phone though. I would be up there everyday past the 10 days bugging the crap out of them. 10 buisness days my ass, even msp say its 10 regular days, 7 buisness days. I think he was saying that because in a peson to person transfer they use snail mail to send the paperwork, where as a dealer uses a fax. So bass pro is really giving you the shaft. Im sorry to hear this.

MSP has two different ways for a regulated firearms dealer to send and receive paperwork for firearm transfers. The basic system is for the dealer to use the USPS, a dealer with more volume can get into the fax system. I do not know if MSP charges a fee to be in the fax system. If a dealer is in the fax system, they use that for all transfers.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lou, a while back there was a question on if it was legal to lend a regulated firearm and someone found a court case that supported the view that you can lend a regulated gun.

On the Federal level, I believe the GCA of '68, has a provision for lending a firearms for sporting purposes.

As to whether you SHOULD lend a gun is of course a different matter. Personally, I would have a tough time letting my brother in law, a very conservative lawyer, borrow a firearm.

I'm answering/responding to this while in a very tired way; been in class about 10 hours today so I hope to keep my thoughts together here.

The first statement regarding the court case of lending a reg'd firearm. I've heard of this as well in the past several years though do not know the exact circumstances that were involved. Without the full detailed knowledge of the case I'd be very hesitant to lend a reg'd firearm to a friend and I'm removing myself from the fact that I'm a licensed dealer.

I'm not sure of this sentence but back in 1968 the term "regulated firearm" or "required to be registered" in MD didn't exist or was implimented in 1968 (or shortly thereafter) which possibly was a result of the 1968 GCA and MD was referencing to "handguns". There is currently no law in this state that indicates one cannot lend a nonregulated firearm as long as the person that the nonreg'd gun is being lent to is not prohibited from possessing a nonreg'd gun. If there is some mention in the 1968 GCA pertaining to the legal lending of a firearm for sporting purposes, which I don't doubt, would have been fine till the revisement of that with the Brady Act (superceding the 68 GCA) which I'm just about positive makes a statement refering to a background check for a transfer of a "handgun".

Your back to the "lawyer" thing with your last statement:D I like that. All the aforementioned can be quite confusing even to us "in the know" not to mention those that aren't much at all "in the know". Personally I wouldn't consider the 68 GCA in these matters we've discussed in this thread as that is a Federal thing and also revised in 1984. The Brady Law was enacted some time much later after that. With these revisions and changes over the decades, my personnal thoughts remain on the conservative side of this discussion in these words, "It's better to play it safe than to be sorry" or "Why place your dick out on the chopping block".

I could continue a bit more on the subject but my brain is about cooked to well done about right now and I'm running on two brain cells with one of them ready to call it quits real soon :lol2:. If anyone wants to question me or have questions for me, post them and I'll get back on here in the next day or two to try to answer the best I can. Lou

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    Another reason not to buy a gun from Bass pro. Mark at 2A is right down the street, and much better to deal with. I've found he has great price's and the fact I don't have to fight to get a number and get waited on makes it worth it to go see Mark.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here is the MD Court of Appeals ruling. It is perfectly legal to lend a firearm in MD and does not constitute an illegal Transfer

attached too long to post

Attachments

• MDSCRuling99a05.pdf
      227.2 KB · Views: 98

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Another reason not to buy a gun from Bass pro. Mark at 2A is right down the street, and much better to deal with. I've found he has great price's and the fact I don't have to fight to get a number and get waited on makes it worth it to go see Mark.

I originally planned to buy from 2A. Mark didn't have the model I was looking for, so I went with Bass.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County

I stopped in again at lunch today. I had to wait 30-45 minutes before they called my number, and when I asked about the gun, he went in back and brought it out. I noticed the date on their paperwork indicates it came back last Monday! I did noticed that they wrote down my cell phone number incorrectly. It doesn't however explain why I called last Thursday and Saturday and both times i was told it wasn't back yet. Needless to say, I won't be doing business with them again.

In any case, I took it to the range this afternoon and gave it a workout.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I stopped in again at lunch today. I had to wait 30-45 minutes before they called my number, and when I asked about the gun, he went in back and brought it out. I noticed the date on their paperwork indicates it came back last Monday! I did noticed that they wrote down my cell phone number incorrectly. It doesn't however explain why I called last Thursday and Saturday and both times i was told it wasn't back yet. Needless to say, I won't be doing business with them again.

In any case, I took it to the range this afternoon and gave it a workout.

The paperwork came back a week ago...you purchased the pistol on Sunday the 17th right? So that actually means they submited it, technically monday, and a week later it was good to go. Mark at 2A submitted mine last thing of the night..so if it technically counted as starting the next day, my was 7 days too. So now heres the confusing thing, and I really think its because of USPS and FAX. My girl was told nothing until 10 days from a Trooper at the barracks when she did her transfer. Weekends dont count...Bass Pro, 2A can get it in 7 real days. I think this 7 buisness days is b/s. Although, it did take longer when we sold the RRA, LAR-8. His paperwork may have taken 10 days. I cant remember.

Glad to hear you got it, sorry to hear it took so long, like I said, Bass Pro gave you the shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom