• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40watt

Free Thinking American
    Jan 12, 2013
    Halethorpe Area
    Call MSP licensing division! Give them your social # and they will look it up and tell you were it stands. It took 10 minutes to get what I needed. The lady told me that somebody processed it and it was "not-disapproved" but somebody forgot a whole batch of paperwork and it never got mailed or faxed. She said that since I took the intiative to follow up on it she would personally take the forms and mail them out herself on here way home, and all the others will just have to wait since they obviously dont care enough top take a few minutes out of their day to make the call.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Call MSP licensing division! Give them your social # and they will look it up and tell you were it stands. It took 10 minutes to get what I needed. The lady told me that somebody processed it and it was "not-disapproved" but somebody forgot a whole batch of paperwork and it never got mailed or faxed. She said that since I took the intiative to follow up on it she would personally take the forms and mail them out herself on here way home, and all the others will just have to wait since they obviously dont care enough top take a few minutes out of their day to make the call.

Cool that she did that. However MSP are expected to be "Marylands Finest". If you want that title, perfection should be expected. Civillian or not, you are with MSP.

40watt

Free Thinking American
    Jan 12, 2013
    Halethorpe Area
    I agree. However, As demonstrated time and time again the system fails. And unfortunely the caring and courteous ones are few and far between. Most don't want to do anything more than necessary. If you just "hope" that MSP is doing there job properly, then you might as well "hope" that Obama is doing his job and doing us right as well. I commend the lady on her actions to help me. Yet unfortunely others will suffer be cause they can't (and I quote),"give up a few minutes to call."

Checks and Balances my friend.

"We are watching."

sgtjunk

Aug 5, 2012
    Crofton, MD
    I have the same thing going for me but the government wants the most up to date information on you.

True they do but the simple fact is that the requirements for keeping your clearance are much more strict than passing the gun BG check. Ergo if you still have your clearance you would be g2g. So there must be an alternative motive or they're short-sighted enough to believe the group of those who both hold a clearance and are purchasing firearms is too small of a group to consider.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

SpecialJ79

Feb 20, 2013
    SoMD
    True they do but the simple fact is that the requirements for keeping your clearance are much more strict than passing the gun BG check. Ergo if you still have your clearance you would be g2g. So there must be an alternative motive or they're short-sighted enough to believe the group of those who both hold a clearance and are purchasing firearms is too small of a group to consider.

Only problem here is how do I prove my clearance to the FFL or MSP. Trust me I've got a clearance that ain't easy to get. Less than 30 people in my entire career field have it. But yet I've got to deal with these retarded waits as well. :(

JustCuz

Non-Expendable Citizen
    Aug 25, 2012
    Hanover, MD
    I agree. However, As demonstrated time and time again the system fails. And unfortunely [sic] the caring and courteous ones are few and far between. Most don't want to do anything more than necessary.

I wish the MSP had nothing whatsoever to do with firearm transactions, and I agree that government agencies make inefficient administrators, and that those systems are likely to fail. That said, I've contacted several people in the Licensing Division regarding various issues, including unusual transfers, handgun permits, collector's status, fingerprinting and private CJIS inquries, handgun roster petitions, regulation inquiries, and this current unacceptable delay in processing paperwork. I've dealt with 12-15 troopers and civilian agents at MSP on these issues, and ONE of them had a bad attitude, but even she was helpful. I'm not convinced that the state is doing everything they can to put an end to this delay, and I have problems with the system itself, but the individual troopers are not the problem.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Only problem here is how do I prove my clearance to the FFL or MSP. Trust me I've got a clearance that ain't easy to get. Less than 30 people in my entire career field have it. But yet I've got to deal with these retarded waits as well. :(

I have a standard federal form. Got it off E-OPM. Didn't you get paperwork?

How does this help and can I send it in with my MD forms?

sgtjunk

Aug 5, 2012
    Crofton, MD
    They can't release it without a NICS #, which they won't have until the MSP faxes the paperwork back to them.

Yeah, it's dumb. It's Maryland, The Free State.

Then why is everyone saying that for a private sale it can occur on the eighth day? Are you telling me there are two separate laws for these scenarios?

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    Then why is everyone saying that for a private sale it can occur on the eighth day? Are you telling me there are two separate laws for these scenarios?

Secondary purchases that go through the MSP for BG check are different. Not separate laws just differences in that no FFL is required if going through MSP for secondary. Therefore private citizens can transfer on the 8th day where an FFL couldn't.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    That's what I was getting at. They could call and get the NICS number just like when they do an unregulated gun sale, couldn't they?

No, because the point of contact for NICS for all handgun sales in MD is the MSP. NICS won't give a number to anyone but the MSP for handgun sales.

sgtjunk

Aug 5, 2012
    Crofton, MD
    Well it sounds like I just need to stick to private sales from now on. I have enough friends around here that it shouldn't be difficult to do regulated sales through them. By the time I get this gun it will be too late to enjoy because my new baby will be here. Guess I'll have something to look forward to this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom