• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kbarrett220

Jun 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore, MD
    The main purpose for these hires is enforcement for the new provisions under SB281. Being as they won't be working until August, I doubt they will do much to remedy the current situation

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    issue #1 They'll be hiring 66 new civilian employees to help out with extra background check paperwork.

they need more sworn as well for all the 2nd reviews

issue #2 after oct 1st gun sales will drop, people will have nothing to do

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    they can hire 666 new employees (see what I did there?), it won't fix a flawed system with unlinked databases. Put that money into a modern system that is LESS labor intensive.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Does it really matter at this point? Come Oct 1st gun sales are going to drop like a rock in this state and their "reaction" is already too little too late. 4 months and counting.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    No, just use NICS like most other states. Problem solved.

If Maryland can't search their own databases in a timely manner, I am fairly positive they would not be able to efficiently forward their records to NICS.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Yep, MSP is so short-staffed they actually closed the Annapolis Barracks, they can't hire 66 more road officers to help protect the law-abiding citizens of Maryland, but they can afford to hire 66 people to help make Frosh's wet dream a reality.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    by not reporting to nics, they are allowing a prohibited person to simply move out of state and obtain a firearm

to flip it

MD might be disqualifying people who shouldn't be with all their checks :D , The Feds might not accept what these idiots think is a disqualifier

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Posturing for the Answer/Response to the lawsuit, i.e. we are overwhelmed and doing everything we can to follow the spirit of the law while protecting the children. Legally it makes no difference but public perception is important to Gansler and MOM with the oncoming election cycle. Besides, I doubt they will actually ever be hired, and if they are they will only be "temps." Don't quit your day job to apply for this short stint with MSP that will evaporate come October 1st.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    That article doesn't say much but it does say that MSP is advertising for these positions already. I looked on the MSP web site and the only civilian job posted there is from Aug 2012. I would think that if MSP is advertising the jobs, it would be there. Either I'm wrong or the article is wrong!

Last edited:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Close to zero chance the law will be going into effect October 1st anyway - I don't remember if the money the GA promised was to be spent for this stuff was to be released upon actual start of the law being in effect, but I assume so.

So if (when) a lawsuit is actually filed to block it these 66 positions will be put on hold indefinitely. I can't imagine they will hire a damn one of them if the Oct. 1 date is pushed back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom