MSP now considers SBR's w/req min 29" OA length as Pistols? WTH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I can understand the want if an SBR. That said, with current ATF rulings on braces, might as well go with a braced pistol. No length limitations. Sure, not as comfortable as an SBR.
    Can't put a VFG or a real stock on it, also subject to the whims of a BATFE reinterpretation. Will also be low-hanging fruit for the next GOP or NRA "compromise". No thanks.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Since SBRs are no longer required to be on the handgun roster, could an FFL purchase say a springfield M1a (being they are an FFL and the rifle M1a cannot be purchased by a regular consumer in MD since 2013(save the polytech))? Could they then submit to the atf to SBR said springfield M1a and at such time as the stamp came back approved, then cut the barrel to 14.5" thus removing it from the purview of the MSP as a rifle, because the barrel is smaller than 16" and would be considered a pistol by the state police at that point, thus making it a legal to own item because pistols are not regulated by the 2013 regulations? Just a thought...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Since SBRs are no longer required to be on the handgun roster, could an FFL purchase say a springfield M1a (being they are an FFL and the rifle M1a cannot be purchased by a regular consumer in MD since 2013(save the polytech))? Could they then submit to the atf to SBR said springfield M1a and at such time as the stamp came back approved, then cut the barrel to 14.5" thus removing it from the purview of the MSP as a rifle, because the barrel is smaller than 16" and would be considered a pistol by the state police at that point, thus making it a legal to own item because pistols are not regulated by the 2013 regulations? Just a thought...

No, because MD law still considers it a rifle and banned by name (as well as now qualifying as a pistol).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Can't put a VFG or a real stock on it, also subject to the whims of a BATFE reinterpretation. Will also be low-hanging fruit for the next GOP or NRA "compromise". No thanks.

Sure, but I can take it out of stat without permission or filing a form. I don’t invite the ATF in to my home or keeping records subject to review. No tax stamp. No waiting period.

Also with a 12.5” Barrel OAL is likely long enough to be a firearm according to the ATF instead of a handgun, so a VFG is kosher.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I don’t invite the ATF in to my home or keeping records subject to review.
    The first is flat-out untrue, the second is a bit of an exaggeration. The BATFE doesn't conduct audits.

All your other points, to me, are outweighed by the risks I described above. The second someone uses a braced pistol in a mass shooting, and it'll happen, the deck of cards is going to collapse.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

My post is not directed to you Silverlax, however a good thought but not for MD.

Spoiler alert, I might be derailing the thread:
    I would like to ask if this is the type of post/thinking that would be best posted in an "Executive" WC? Sorry, but trying to keep that WC/vetting idea fresh on people's minds.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    No, because MD law still considers it a rifle and banned by name (as well as now qualifying as a pistol).

I am not sure this is correct. His example is no different than a HK91/G3/PTR-91 being banned by name but being available this very moment in Pistol and SBR form.

If i chose to get my HQL, it would take me approximately 7 days to have a G3 variantor more specifically a G3k. same thing with 7.62x39mm Ak's.

From a practical standpoint, these "exempt" pistols with modern braces are functionally carbines.

if you want a US M1A, it simply needs to have a 15.99 inch barrel with a form 1 or 4.

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I am not sure this is correct. His example is no different than a HK91/G3/PTR-91 being banned by name but being available this very moment in Pistol and SBR form.

If i chose to get my HQL, it would take me approximately 7 days to have a G3 variantor more specifically a G3k. same thing with 7.62x39mm Ak's.

From a practical standpoint, these "exempt" pistols with modern braces are functionally carbines.

if you want a US M1A, it simply needs to have a 15.99 inch barrel with a form 1 or 4.

I agree that you should be able to get a M1A as a SBR but it would have to be on a Form 4 you could not do a Form 1 since you could purchase the rifle to begin with unless you could just get a receiver.

I don't think anyone realized how MSP was going to interpret the FSA when it was passed. Everyone thought SBRs were not going to be effected since they were NFA.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Of course you can do a form 1. Fulton armory has them in Stock right now. OAL 30 inches, barrel 15.99, done.

From a practical standpoint sbr's are not impacted by FSA.

There is the sub 29 inch thing but that really doesn't matter as if you want a sub 29 inch carbine, just buy it as a pistol and use a brace. It's the same thing. Which is why I never understood the panic regarding the scorpion and the mpx over stock length. If you want compact, buy it as a pistol and be done with it.

From a function standpoint you can have pretty much what ever sbr/braced pistol you want.

You just can'take have their full size 16 plus inch variants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom