• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Rifle from PSA
    When we 1st opened we would not accept PSA products due to terrible quality control. We held this position for the 1st 6 months and then choose to raise our transfer fee from $25 to $50 with the dropship fee being $75.

What are the chances we told you no and you didn't like the answer? Or was the rifle in a banned configuration and we refused the transfer?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I think if I were in the FFL business, I'd do transfers at a very low price, even as a loss leader, to bring in actual sales and browsing in the showroom. Transferees need accessories and ammo, don't they? Especially if you're "giving" them the transfer, which involves literally very little time and cost. Does that make sense?
    We tried that and found that it wasn't sustainable. We started with a $25 transfer fee +$2 for VA residents and +$5 for non residents to cover the VA background check fees.

Transfer customers that price shop the transfer rate don't buy in store they only shop online.

If we can't pay the rent the low transfer fee becomes a moot point.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    We tried that and found that it wasn't sustainable. We started with a $25 transfer fee +$2 for VA residents and +$5 for non residents to cover the VA background check fees.

Transfer customers that price shop the transfer rate don't buy in store they only shop online.

If we can't pay the rent the low transfer fee becomes a moot point.
    Darn. How about some kind of additional incentive or loyalty points program?

What about online forums for businesses presenting opportunities and facing issues like yours?

Gotta be nimble with today's online economy. Good luck

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Darn. How about some kind of additional incentive or loyalty points program?

What about online forums for businesses presenting opportunities and facing issues like yours?

Gotta be nimble with today's online economy. Good luck
    We take care of our loyal customers. Always have.

Do a Google search of Genesis Firearms, King George, VA and read our reviews.

We are working to build our online presence and expand our website to offer more than the products we have in stock. It all takes time and money.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    When we 1st opened we would not accept PSA products due to terrible quality control. We held this position for the 1st 6 months and then choose to raise our transfer fee from $25 to $50 with the dropship fee being $75.

What are the chances we told you no and you didn't like the answer? Or was the rifle in a banned configuration and we refused the transfer?
    Nope, totally Virginia legal. The only answer I didn’t like was being told exactly as I’ve stated here: 50 for the transfer 150 for accepting delivery inconvenience. If it’s not your policy, then you might need to have a talk with your employee……tall heavy set guy with glasses. As previously stated, those prices were quoted and I immediately repeated them and it was confirmed “yes”, as to not have any mishearings. I’ve zero reason to be dishonest about any of this, and there really is no more to “the story” aside from searching for an honest KG local ffl.
    At the time we were talking, I never mentioned where I was getting any item from…….i.e. PSA in this case. That only came up here in this thread, so that’s neither here nor there. Our potential transactions never made it beyond the fee discussion

Last edited:

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    I'm going to make this as clear as I can.

We charge $50 for a normal transfer such as a firearm purchased from Gunbroker. We charge $75 for a drop shipped firearm that is purchased through a website and then shipped from a distributor. Dropship items can be ordered directly from us and are often cheaper then can be found on some websites. We charge more to encourage customers to support our shop directly. One example was a customer asking to accept a transfer for a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70. He was about to pay the online shop $2000 plus shipping and $75 for the transfer. He stopped by the shop and I asked if he could give me a chance to see if I could find one for him. He agreed and we had one on the way the next day and sold it to him at MSRP+TAX with no transfer fee or credit card fee.

We have also offered what we call a bounce transfer for our current MD resident customers. This is when a customer would like to purchase a gun that we can't otherwise get for them and we accept the transfer because the seller won't ship to MD. Most of the time this is because of mag capacity. We pull the mags and gold them at the shop then transfer the gun to one of our partnered FFL's in Southern Maryland. We charge $25 to do this but it must be approved before the firearm is shipped.

With all that said our policy is clearly posted on our website. (except for bounce transfers)

I honestly don't remember you coming into the store and I am pretty much there 7 days a week with a few exceptions. Would you like to give me a time frame for when you stopped in?

I will add that there are a few companies that we choose not to accept transfers from. For example anything related to Terran Tactical. The reasons are mine as are my opinion of the company and its owner.
    Not too long after you had moved into the current location. I had just finished my shift, so still in uniform……not some hoodrat with pants around my ass. If it helps, we were talking and joking about the relief of getting out of Maryland . You cracked a joke saying I “bought my house/range just to get AKs, therefore it’ll be the most expensive AK out there”. There was no tone of animosity, but your prices you gave me are exactly what made me not go any further. I’m big boy enough to go ahead and apologize for the direction this thread went…….it wasn’t meant as a bashing thread but my own poor choice of mentioning the 200 fees unfortunately fed that. However I’m being 100% honest on that price quote.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Not too long after you had moved into the current location. I had just finished my shift, so still in uniform……not some hoodrat with pants around my ass. If it helps, we were talking and joking about the relief of getting out of Maryland . You cracked a joke saying I “bought my house/range just to get AKs, therefore it’ll be the most expensive AK out there”. There was no tone of animosity, but your prices you gave me are exactly what made me not go any further. I’m big boy enough to go ahead and apologize for the direction this thread went…….it wasn’t meant as a bashing thread but my own poor choice of mentioning the 200 fees unfortunately fed that. However I’m being 100% honest on that price quote.
    You didn't get that price from me. We have always been very direct with customers about transfers and how we feel about PSA in general.

We did change our policy to accept PSA transfers and raise our overall transfer fees in August of 2023.

J_Gunslinger

Industry Partner
    Apr 19, 2024
    Fallston
    I think if I were in the FFL business, I'd do transfers at a very low price, even as a loss leader, to bring in actual sales and browsing in the showroom. Transferees need accessories and ammo, don't they? Especially if you're "giving" them the transfer, which involves literally very little time and cost. Does that make sense?
    Our shop does transfers for $30 for long guns and $40 for regulated items. We welcome transfers with no problem.

A lot of FFLs won’t accept transfers from PSA, Buds, and a couple of others simply because they violate MAP pricing or undercut dealers. I would guess this high transfer fee is because it is coming from PSA.

To your point, it can’t be a complete loss leader because the FFL doing the transfer endures the paperwork and liability when the AFT does inspections. But none the less, in good practice you will be gaining a customer if you treat all customers with respect.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Our shop does transfers for $30 for long guns and $40 for regulated items. We welcome transfers with no problem.

A lot of FFLs won’t accept transfers from PSA, Buds, and a couple of others simply because they violate MAP pricing or undercut dealers. I would guess this high transfer fee is because it is coming from PSA.

To your point, it can’t be a complete loss leader because the FFL doing the transfer endures the paperwork and liability when the AFT does inspections. But none the less, in good practice you will be gaining a customer if you treat all customers with respect.
    It is a difference of business model. We stock over 500 firearms on average. Many shops today carry a small inventory and expect their customer to order everything or have it transferred in.

We prefer to have the guns in stock and allow the consumer to hold the gun not just look at it on paper or a computer screen. Yes this is an old business model but it seems to work well for us and our customers.

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    You didn't get that price from me. We have always been very direct with customers about transfers and how we feel about PSA in general.

We did change our policy to accept PSA transfers and raise our overall transfer fees in August of 2023.
    Again, PSA was not part of the face to face discussion when I was given the 200 quote.

J_Gunslinger

Industry Partner
    Apr 19, 2024
    Fallston
    It is a difference of business model. We stock over 500 firearms on average. Many shops today carry a small inventory and expect their customer to order everything or have it transferred in.

We prefer to have the guns in stock and allow the consumer to hold the gun not just look at it on paper or a computer screen. Yes this is an old business model but it seems to work well for us and our customers.
    Absolutely agree man! Every business has the right to operate how they choose and do what works best for their customer base. I wouldn’t call it old school, many people impulse shop. They didn’t know they needed it until they held it!

As for transfers, I don’t mind doing them though.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Again, PSA was not part of the face to face discussion when I was given the 200 quote.
    And again you were never given a $200 quote for a transfer.

We do not do business that way and never have.

While the brick and mortar store front is new for us we are not new to the business. I'm not sure where you got this price but it wasn't from me or my shop.

And again you were never given a $200 quote for a transfer.

We do not do business that way and never have.

While the brick and mortar store front is new for us we are not new to the business. I'm not sure where you got this price but it wasn't from me or my shop.
    Perrin, I have never met you, but if George works gun shows with you for fun, that is a good indication of your character.
    I moonlighted at an FFL (Masada Tactical) for 3yrs and the crap spewed from customers with bad info/misheard/didn't know laws, etc was absolutely mind blowing.
    Buying an AR stripped lower online to "save" $20 happened so many times it was beyond troubling.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Perrin, I have never met you, but if George works gun shows with you for fun, that is a good indication of your character.
    I moonlighted at an FFL (Masada Tactical) for 3yrs and the crap spewed from customers with bad info/misheard/didn't know laws, etc was absolutely mind blowing.
    Buying an AR stripped lower online to "save" $20 happened so many times it was beyond troubling.
    I work for store credit!!!

Perrin has never been anything but generous with me. Gun shows with Perrin and Brad are a lot of fun.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Nope, totally Virginia legal. The only answer I didn’t like was being told exactly as I’ve stated here: 50 for the transfer 150 for accepting delivery inconvenience. If it’s not your policy, then you might need to have a talk with your employee……tall heavy set guy with glasses. As previously stated, those prices were quoted and I immediately repeated them and it was confirmed “yes”, as to not have any mishearings. I’ve zero reason to be dishonest about any of this, and there really is no more to “the story” aside from searching for an honest KG local ffl.
    At the time we were talking, I never mentioned where I was getting any item from…….i.e. PSA in this case. That only came up here in this thread, so that’s neither here nor there. Our potential transactions never made it beyond the fee discussion
    I must have missed this comment earlier.

The tall Fat guy with glasses is ME. I'm not an employee I'm one of the owners. My wife is the other owner.

When asked about doing transfers we always ask a few questions. What is being transferred and where is it coming from. Theres no exception to this as it relates to what we charge and if we will accept the transfer.

As stated previously our policy when we 1st opened was very simple. We charged $25 for transfers but would not accept them from some places. PSA being one of those places. We didn't change this policy for about 6 months when we increased the transfer fee to $50 with the exception of dropshipped gums coming from one of our distributors.

I'm beginning to believe you were simply told that we wouldn't accept a PSA transfer and you didn't like the answer.

We do accept PSA transfers now if they come from PSA and aren't dropshipped. Dropshipped Firearm transfers have been stopped by an agreement between us and our distributors. This means that PSA must have the gun in stock in order to send it to us.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom