• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cowboy321

Apr 21, 2009
    Yeah they are backed up, went to pick up my ruger 22 from the gun connection and my paper work wasn't back yet. I purchased the gun 21st, not sureif the collector paper I sent it is causing the delay.

A ruger 22 is not a regulated firearm, is it? I see people buy them over the counter...

Catch-This-22

Dec 29, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    Everything is all jacked up now...Fred's is rationing .223 ammo, you can't find brass online that isn't jacked up 7X nor can you find primers or gunpowder, etc...

Crownroyal79

Dec 17, 2012
    Anyone have updates, or have gotten the call they can come pick up? I tried calling the MSP today no answer, and I don't want to bug Dan over at gun connection. Just getting antzy, really wanted to shoot my new gun last weekend. I'm already at 12 days today, no call from the shop yet, but they could still be up to their necks in sales and customers.

Drewsky87

Dec 20, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Anyone have updates, or have gotten the call they can come pick up? I tried calling the MSP today no answer, and I don't want to bug Dan over at gun connection. Just getting antzy, really wanted to shoot my new gun last weekend. I'm already at 12 days today, no call from the shop yet, but they could still be up to their necks in sales and customers.

Called the Gun Rack (in Burtonsville) today and was told they were getting paperwork back from the 19th. Mine was filled out on the 21st so I'm hoping to be able to pick it up tomorrow or Friday but not expecting anything until next week.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    An 01FFL (dealer) in MD cannot legally release a regulated gun until the MSP paperwork comes back as Not Disapproved. The MSP paperwork has the NICS number on it. The dealer cannot get the NICS number on their own. MD set it up this way because MSP does a more extensive background check than the feds.

You are incorrect sir.

Under Article 27, Section 442(i), if a dealer or person does not receive notification of dispproval after seven days have elapsed from the date of the application was forwarded to the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, (not the day the applicant signed the application), the dealer or person may transfer the regulated firearm on the eighth day providing the eighth day is not on a Sunday or legal holiday. The dealer would be required to wait until the next day which is neither a Sunday or legal holiday

That is the letter of the law.

mrb2217

Jan 3, 2013
    The Isle of Kent, QA, MD
    Did paperwork on the 19th and it cameback today. Heard a rumor that MSP is so backed up that they have requested extra manpower and are paying overtime to troopers to get the backgrounds done. Apparently they are so backed up that 16 days is considered good.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Yes I have on 2 or 3 occasions including today,been two weeks and dealer released,I'm usually in there every couple months.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    An 01FFL (dealer) in MD cannot legally release a regulated gun until the MSP paperwork comes back as Not Disapproved. The MSP paperwork has the NICS number on it. The dealer cannot get the NICS number on their own. MD set it up this way because MSP does a more extensive background check than the feds.

THIS ^^^^^ and definately not as below.........

You are incorrect sir.

Under Article 27, Section 442(i), if a dealer or person does not receive notification of dispproval after seven days have elapsed from the date of the application was forwarded to the Superintendent of the Maryland State Police, (not the day the applicant signed the application), the dealer or person may transfer the regulated firearm on the eighth day providing the eighth day is not on a Sunday or legal holiday. The dealer would be required to wait until the next day which is neither a Sunday or legal holiday

That is the letter of the law.

Before the FBI NICS was implemented, the above second quoted post WAS correct. However, for a licensed MD firearms dealer, it is now outdated due to Federal Law REQUIRING a valid NICS number to accompany the State Form 77R, of which only MSP can aquire for a regulated firearm. Bear in mind, State AND Federal laws must be observed.

If two individuals, the buyer and seller (both NON-licensed dealers), do a transfer through MSP on their own, the FBI NICS does not come into play and the 7 day wait will/can apply.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    THIS ^^^^^ and definately not as below.........

Before the FBI NICS was implemented, the above second quoted post WAS correct. However, for a licensed MD firearms dealer, it is now outdated due to Federal Law REQUIRING a valid NICS number to accompany the State Form 77R, of which only MSP can aquire for a regulated firearm. Bear in mind, State AND Federal laws must be observed.

If two individuals, the buyer and seller (both NON-licensed dealers), do a transfer through MSP on their own, the FBI NICS does not come into play and the 7 day wait will/can apply.

THANKS For the clarification Lou! You are on point as always! :thumbsup:

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    By the way, the law which Lou and Bigfoot referred to is now covered under the Public Safety Article of the Maryland Annotated Code and basically just states there is a minimum of 7 days to wait for licensees (licensed dealers).

PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-123 (2012)

§ 5-123. Time for licensee to complete transactions

(a) Seven-day waiting period. -- A licensee may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by the prospective seller or transferor to the Secretary.

(b) Completion required in 90 days. -- A licensee shall complete the sale, rental, or transfer of a regulated firearm within 90 days after the firearm application was stamped by the Secretary as not being disapproved.

(c) Incomplete transactions. --

(1) If the sale, rental, or transfer of a regulated firearm is not completed within 90 days after the firearm application was stamped by the Secretary as not being disapproved, a licensee shall return the firearm application to the Secretary within 7 days.

(2) The Secretary shall void a firearm application returned under paragraph (1) of this subsection as an incomplete sale, rental, or transfer.

(d) Notification of completed transaction. --

(1) (i) A licensee who sells, rents, or transfers a regulated firearm in compliance with this subtitle shall forward a copy of the written notification of the completed transaction to the Secretary within 7 days after delivery of the regulated firearm.

(ii) The notification shall contain an identifying description of the regulated firearm, including its caliber, make, model, any manufacturer's serial number, and any other special or peculiar characteristic or marking by which the regulated firearm may be identified.

(2) The Secretary shall maintain a permanent record of all notifications received of completed sales, rentals, and transfers of regulated firearms in the State.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    THANKS For the clarification Lou! You are on point as always! :thumbsup:

I need to stay on top of these things as they jus' might have somthin' to do with the buzzinuss I'm involved.:D:lol2:

By the way, the law which Lou and Bigfoot referred to is now covered under the Public Safety Article of the Maryland Annotated Code and basically just states there is a minimum of 7 days to wait for licensees (licensed dealers).

PUBLIC SAFETY
    TITLE 5. FIREARMS
    SUBTITLE 1. REGULATED FIREARMS

Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-123 (2012)

§ 5-123. Time for licensee to complete transactions

(a) Seven-day waiting period. -- A licensee may not sell, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm until after 7 days following the time a firearm application is executed by the firearm applicant, in triplicate, and the original is forwarded by the prospective seller or transferor to the Secretary.

Without reading any further, the info above is outdated too. The 77R now consist of three pages; 77R Part 1 in triplicate, 77R Part 2 in quadruplicate, and 77R Part 3 in single format.

To all, bear in mind that the language in at least some of the State regs have NOT been updated to comply with current times.

(b) Completion required in 90 days. -- A licensee shall complete the sale, rental, or transfer of a regulated firearm within 90 days after the firearm application was stamped by the Secretary as not being disapproved.

(c) Incomplete transactions. --

(1) If the sale, rental, or transfer of a regulated firearm is not completed within 90 days after the firearm application was stamped by the Secretary as not being disapproved, a licensee shall return the firearm application to the Secretary within 7 days.

(2) The Secretary shall void a firearm application returned under paragraph (1) of this subsection as an incomplete sale, rental, or transfer.

(d) Notification of completed transaction. --

(1) (i) A licensee who sells, rents, or transfers a regulated firearm in compliance with this subtitle shall forward a copy of the written notification of the completed transaction to the Secretary within 7 days after delivery of the regulated firearm.

(ii) The notification shall contain an identifying description of the regulated firearm, including its caliber, make, model, any manufacturer's serial number, and any other special or peculiar characteristic or marking by which the regulated firearm may be identified.

(2) The Secretary shall maintain a permanent record of all notifications received of completed sales, rentals, and transfers of regulated firearms in the State.

Drewsky87

Dec 20, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Was able to pick up my rifle today, filled out my paperwork on the 21st. Heard them say they have paperwork back from up to the 22nd so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom