• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Done. Checked the web portal, status says only initial not disapproved. Resend email button sends an email to that effect.

Make sure the email is correct in the portal information area. If not, I guess a call to the LD of MSP on Monday. But if the seller got the go ahead, maybe you can proceed.

Good Luck!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Make sure the email is correct in the portal information area. If not, I guess a call to the LD of MSP on Monday. But if the seller got the go ahead, maybe you can proceed.

Good Luck!

Duh, the portal resend email button worked and sent an email that said only the initial not disapproved was completed as noted above. Proves the email is correct.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Good Luck!

Actually, under law can't the transaction proceed as long as MSP has not sent a DISAPPROVED message? I think that is what is in COMAR ... the rest is "policy" ... which is not LAW.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    just so my FFL info is correct, every regulated firearm purchase must fill out both a 4473 for the feds and a 77R for Maryland correct?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    just so my FFL info is correct, every regulated firearm purchase must fill out both a 4473 for the feds and a 77R for Maryland correct?

Correctamundo.

77R online at MSP licensing portal

4473 in person at your FFL along with a copy of your 77R "in the application pool" email confirmation from MSP.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP is not an FFL and in state transfers don't require a 4473 as it's in state.

One of the few times the Feds don't get involved.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot

As for an FFL, does a 4473 need to be completed for a regulated firearm or is that all done through the 77R portal?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The FFL completes the 4473 as it's still a Federal form. The 77r has nothing to do with the 4473

FTF transfers at a barracks does not require a 4473 as it's a transfer between residents of the same state (MD)

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Last night around 1830, when to the Rockville Barracks to do a firearm transfer. The desk SGT, BIG friggin guy, must live in the weight room, looks like the hulk. Any event, he said they were too busy, due to a closure on 270 and recommended we go to the College Park Barracks.

We went out in the parking lot and decided to call, to ensure they would do the transfer. The seller asked them if they would do the transfer and explained Rockville was too busy. They put him on hold and about 3 minutes later a TFC walked out of the Rockville Barracks and said return to the lobby for the transfer. LOL don’t know what College Park said, but we completed the transfer.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Somebody got their Glock slapped around a little bit. I can't imagine one barracks takes too kindly to another barracks sending their work to them.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

The first part of your comment is correct. And, I bet you actually know this, given you always seem pretty well informed. But for those unaware, a NICS check is performed....so the Feds are 'involved'.

But no, a 4473 isn't needed.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've had the Glen Burnie barracks tell me someone was away I would have to come back. I think the problem is that some of the troopers are unfamiliar and/or uncomfortable with the process.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The first part of your comment is correct. And, I bet you actually know this, given you always seem pretty well informed. But for those unaware, a NICS check is performed....so the Feds are 'involved'.

But no, a 4473 isn't needed.

The OP was about whether a 4473 is needed for a transfer between MD residents. My post addressed that as far as Federal involvement was concerned.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As for an FFL, does a 4473 need to be completed for a regulated firearm or is that all done through the 77R portal?

Most often when an FFL is involved, they hold the firearm for the 7 day wait as well. If the firearm stays on premises for the period, it must be logged into the books. Then, yes, a 4473 is required. It is possible the 01 FFL can simply facilitate the FTF transfer between the private seller and buyer. So, not so sure about that. Sounds like JLOWE has done that, so maybe he will weigh in.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The OP was about whether a 4473 is needed for a transfer between MD residents. My post addressed that as far as Federal involvement was concerned.

Yessir, I knew that was what you were doing. I was being a bit anal in making sure any noobs thought the Feds were completely uninvolved.

And I was sure you knew that. All's good.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no worries.

:thumbsup:

BTW I have attached the list of databases MSP checks when doing a regulated firearms transfer , either in a Barracks transfer or through an FFL.

Attachments

• databases checked by MSP.JPG
      databases checked by MSP.JPG
      59.9 KB · Views: 151

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Little bump to remind folks about this. Met a fellow MDS member at the Golden Ring barracks this morning to transfer a handgun (haven't bought a handgun private party since 2013) and both of us totally forgot about the online 77R application. Needless to say we didn't get too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom